No announcement yet.

Royal Mail Strike - Quick Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think us posties trying to show our argument on here on why we are striking a total waste of time, so I aint gonna bother to even try. We all have your opinions so thats all that should be said.

Just one point about the thread that was closed though, personally I would like to thank jebus as I think he totally went out of his way on these forums to give a lot of you guys detailed information about what the strike was about, and what kind of things were happening aroundabout with special delivery items and soforth!

JOHNBOY1967, I cant really shed anymore light on whats happening up here in scotland, as far as I know edinburgh mail centre are now out, joining the fact that Glasgow mail centre have been out since monday night/tuesday morning. I have heard there is also around 15-20 delivery offices out in and around glasgow to do with the unofficial/wildcat strikes. This is what I have heard though and I cannot really be 100% on my accuracy.

I have also heard Glasgow mail centre in absolutely packed to the brim with unsorted mail over the last 3 days, but I suppouse that is just to be expected.

Apparently there was some sort of Union meeting in the centre of glasgow today at 10.30am for any postal staff that wished to attend, to see where the unofficial strikes would go from here on in. Just a thought if you do stay in or around the glasgow/edinburgh area then these talks could result in all postal workers being out on strike tomorrow and any number of days after that till things get sorted (bearing in mind that this strike is not about pay/loss of pay, but more to the fact that staff are getting suspended for refusing to touch mail from other mail centres that were out on strike.
    Last edited by neverevertrevor; 02-08-2007, 15:17.

Comment

I've been reading the Interim Report and Accounts 2006-07 - half year profits for the Royal Mail group after taxation stand at £13 million. This is quite measurably down from this time last year.

People costs at half year ( i.e., salaries, pension contributions etc ) add up to £3,019 million. A 2.5% increase = £75 million, a 5% of £3,019 million = £150 million (ish).

£13 million - £150 million = minus £137 million.

The report also shows the Post Office Counters are making a loss of 102 million - but perhaps the scariest figure of all is the pension deficit which is massive.

I'll admit that I'm not an accountant and that they can cook the books and I may be reading it incorrectly - but looking at that report any payrise doesn't appear to be sustainable at the moment without quite radical changes in how the RM is working.

Comment

Looks like some parts of Scotland will have a chance of getting some mail tomorrow.My last delivery was on Monday.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Comment

I got a game yesterday. That's it. No one has any of the mail I've sent.

Comment

some will they be mail tommrow for people in south wales or are they still on strike

Comment

Are the Royal Mail still on strike?

Comment

'fraid so.

Comment

Originally posted by debug77 View Post
                  'fraid so.
                  Am I right in reading that this is until the 9th?

Comment

7th I think. But they're on about striking AGAIN from the 9th to 17th (as mentioned above in this link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6926790.stm )

Bin Laden would give his left nut for this kind of disruption to a country

Comment

Just had a parcel delivered to my door via Royal Mail

However, one parcel I've sent out is 2 days late.

Comment

Originally posted by hoolak View Post
                        Are the Royal Mail still on strike?
                        I was working today. Was a complete nightmare, so much stuff was left unsorted which will roll onto tomorrows delivery. I started at 4:00 and finished at 13:00 without stopping once for a break. It will be just as bad Saturday and probably Monday too.

I'm totally fed up with the strikes. Neither side will back down and everybody is getting more and more peed off. Royal mail are doing alright out of the strikes as they are saving millions each week on the payroll. I can't afford to strike much longer as i'm already over ?200 out of pocket from the past month or so.

I just hope to god that someone will see sense sooner rather than later so we can get on with it.

Comment

just to point out to you guys that the unofficial strikes in scotand did finish in scotland last night, next weeks dates for the official strikes are that the mail centres will be out 7pm thursday 9th until 7pm friday 10th, delivery offices will be out from 7pm friday 10th until 7pm saturday 11th, which basically means no post on saturday for anyone!

The following week are mail centres wednesday 15th 7pm until 7pm on thursday 16th, with delivery offices being thursday 16th 7pm until friday 17th at 7pm, so again no post on friday that week!

Comment

Programme for the Continuation of Industrial Action on a Functional/Site Specific
                            WEEK 3
                            • [Mail Centres and Airports - duties, Scheduled Attendance and overtime commencing at or after 19.00 Thursday 9th August 2007 and before 19.00 Friday 10th August 2007
                            • MDECs - duties, Scheduled Attendance and overtime commencing at or after 12 noon Friday 10th August 2007 and before 12 noon Saturday 11th August 2007.
                            .Deliveries and Separate Collection Hubs - duties, Scheduled Attendance and overtime commencing at or after 19.00 Friday 10th August 2007 and before 19.00 Saturday 11th August 2007.

Week 4
                            • Network and International/HWDC - duties, Scheduled Attendance and overtime commencing at or after 19.00 Monday 13th August 2007 and before 19.00 Tuesday 14th August 2007
                            • Airports - duties, Scheduled Attendance and overtime commencing at or after 12 noon Tuesday 14th August 2007 and before 12 noon Wednesday 15th August 2007.
                            • Mail Centres - duties, Scheduled Attendance and overtime commencing at or after 19.00 Wednesday 15th August 2007 and before 19.00 Thursday 16th August 2007.
                            • MDECs - duties, Scheduled Attendance and overtime commencing at or after 12 noon Thursday 16th August 2007 and before 12 noon Friday 17th August 2007.
                            Deliveries and Separate Collection Hubs - duties, Scheduled Attendance and overtime commencing at or after 19.00 Thursday 16th August 2007 and before 19.00 Friday 17th August 2007.
                            Last edited by neverevertrevor; 03-08-2007, 15:23.

Comment

Originally posted by neverevertrevor View Post
                              [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Programme for the Continuation of Industrial Action on a Functional/Site Specific Basis.[/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/font]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] [/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/font]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Week 3[/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/font]
                              • [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Mail Centres and Airports - duties, Scheduled Attendance and overtime commencing at or after 19.00 Thursday 9th August 2007 and before 19.00 Friday 10th August 2007.[/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] [/font]
                              • [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']MDECs - duties, Scheduled Attendance and overtime commencing at or after 12 noon Friday 10th August 2007 and before 12 noon Saturday 11th August 2007.[/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] [/font]
                              • [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Deliveries and Separate Collection Hubs - duties, Scheduled Attendance and overtime commencing at or after 19.00 Friday 10th August 2007 and before 19.00 Saturday 11th August 2007.[/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] [/font]
                              [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Week 4[/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/font]
                              • [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Network and International/HWDC - duties, Scheduled Attendance and overtime commencing at or after 19.00 Monday 13th August 2007 and before 19.00 Tuesday 14th August 2007.[/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] [/font]
                              • [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Airports - duties, Scheduled Attendance and overtime commencing at or after 12 noon Tuesday 14th August 2007 and before 12 noon Wednesday 15th August 2007.[/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] [/font]
                              • [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Mail Centres - duties, Scheduled Attendance and overtime commencing at or after 19.00 Wednesday 15th August 2007 and before 19.00 Thursday 16th August 2007.[/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] [/font]
                              • [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']MDECs - duties, Scheduled Attendance and overtime commencing at or after 12 noon Thursday 16th August 2007 and before 12 noon Friday 17th August 2007.[/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] [/font]
                              • [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Deliveries and Separate Collection Hubs - duties, Scheduled Attendance and overtime commencing at or after 19.00 Thursday 16th August 2007 and before 19.00 Friday 17th August 2007.[/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] [/font]
                              aaargh, he's a robot!

Comment

It's the robot postman!

Comment

Working...
                                X