Watches:What are you wearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not suggesting otherwise

But you do know the reserve on an automatic is around 4-5 days depending on the movement............ Right

So standing still won't make the watch stop

Comment

Yes I'm aware, I used to own a Seiko Automatic from new for several years and it would never have power when I went to put it on.

Like I said, Automatics just aren't good for me so I need the reliability of a Quartz movement.

Comment

I have a smallish collection of watches, both automatics and quartz - can appreciate the benefits of both movements. I get as much pleasure from one of my cheap G-Shocks as I do from my other watches. Watches are the only jewellery I wear aside from a wedding ring. Feels odd if I don't have a watch on.

Several of my watches have been purchased for me by my wife to mark special events (our wedding, my 40th) and those watches have real sentimental value to me in addition to the enjoyment I get from wearing them.

I can see how people don't 'get' watches, in the same way I don't get people spending so much money on video games or action figures/statues/toys or whatever - it's horses for courses and whatever makes you happy.

Have to agree with [MENTION=680]Wools[/MENTION] - there is behaviour on watch forums that makes me cringe - one upmanship, bragging and looking down on anything deemed substandard. I think I could even hazard a guess at which forum you may have seen that stuff happening !

Comment

I've got a few replica watches (aka fake).

Mostly Omega(auto and quartz), a Tag(quartz) and an Ebel(quartz).

The closest to gen is my Planet Ocean. A very very close copy of the real deal. It has a genuine swiss auto movement in it, keeps time +-1 sec a day(which is incredible accuracy for an auto).

Each one has cost between $30 and $300. All of them are a million miles away from the lucky lucky crap you get in Turkey etc.

I had and sold on Rolexes, IWC, Hublot, Oris, Chanel, JLC, Patek, Panarai

I like the style of classic high grade watches, but won't part with $$$$$ for the real deal when I can effectively wear the 'same' thing for buttons and instead of worrying about the crippling service costs just go out and buy another one or just replace the movement.

If anyone asks I tell them exactly what it is - a replica. 99% of people wouldn't know the difference anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Garf View Post
            I have a smallish collection of watches, both automatics and quartz - can appreciate the benefits of both movements. I get as much pleasure from one of my cheap G-Shocks as I do from my other watches. Watches are the only jewellery I wear aside from a wedding ring. Feels odd if I don't have a watch on.

Several of my watches have been purchased for me by my wife to mark special events (our wedding, my 40th) and those watches have real sentimental value to me in addition to the enjoyment I get from wearing them.

I can see how people don't 'get' watches, in the same way I don't get people spending so much money on video games or action figures/statues/toys or whatever - it's horses for courses and whatever makes you happy.

Have to agree with [MENTION=680]Wools[/MENTION] - there is behaviour on watch forums that makes me cringe - one upmanship, bragging and looking down on anything deemed substandard. I think I could even hazard a guess at which forum you may have seen that stuff happening !
            For watches I wear everyday, I've always wanted something reliable (As in always on, not keeps within 2 seconds a week) so quartz is perfect for me and I would also consider a Smart Watch like the Apple Watch or Tag Heuer Connected but they still feel like first generation devices. Version 2 or 3 of both is where i may jump in.

However, there's no question the wind up Automatic moment is alluring and after buying my first everyday Swiss watch, I'm considering moving away from my self imposed, only new watch policy and thinking about buying a classic Swiss watch for special occasions. As I'm new to the game, I don't know where to look for good, second hand, classic watches so I'm just having a poke around at the moment!

I completely understand why people don't get watches and when they bump into the snobbery involved in the big, expensive watches, they feel even more justified in not being interested. I was on a Forum over the weekend and a bloke had brought 2 expensive Tag Heuers back in 2010 brand new, he's wore them for years and loved them but just heard online they they may contain a few plastic parts. He was outraged, was demanding Tag Heuer put this warning on their boxes, was selling them both immediately and was going to buy an Omega as they would never use plastic parts... It was then pointed out to him that most watch makers use some plastic parts and it blew his tiny mind! God only knows what he'll think when it's pointed out his Audi A4 is made of 30% plastic!

For me it was never about the snobbery, I've always loved watches and always aspired to buy one but never thought I could. When the opportunity arrived I took it. I don't feel better than someone with a Casio or Citizen at all, it's just jewellery at the end of the day. Who on earth gives a **** about what you're wearing on your wrist or where it was made in the grand scheme of things? But it's nice to have and I enjoy wearing and using it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
              I've got a few replica watches (aka fake).

Mostly Omega(auto and quartz), a Tag(quartz) and an Ebel(quartz).

The closest to gen is my Planet Ocean. A very very close copy of the real deal. It has a genuine swiss auto movement in it, keeps time +-1 sec a day(which is incredible accuracy for an auto).
              Have you got any pictures of your watches? I would love to see them!

My Dad has 2 replica watches, the Omega Speedmaster Anniversary Edition and a Rolex Daytona but that's no longer working unfortunately.

Comment

I would always feel like I'm asking to be mugged if I wore a watch worth thousands of pounds.
                If I did get mugged, it'd less heart-breaking if it was a replica!

I really like the design of analogue watches, but the extra functionality of digital ones, so I'm pretty immune to the pricier watches, which are analogue-only.
                So few companies know how to combine the two stylishly though. Casio and Nixon being the only two I can think of.

Does anybody read the duPont Registry? There's a special 2015 watch guide issue, but the normal issues are jam-packed with toys of excess that the rich play with like watches, cars, houses and mobile gun ranges...
                Last edited by QualityChimp; 03-02-2016, 09:51.

Comment

Let's face it. Nobody wears a mechanical watch to tell the time these days

Comment

Like Wools back in the 90's I lusted after a Tag SEL. You would see loads of imitation ones on the wrists of people coming back from Spain etc but I wanted a real one.

I bought my sister a 2000 series for her 40th, and a year or so later I picked one up in Malaysia from a Rolex dealer (with armed guard on the door) and paid about 45% less than the ?975 asking price here.

After a year though the bezel failed (my sister's also had a fault which I can't recall but was picked up on a battery change).
                    I paid for a couple of battery changes then didn't wear it for a few years.

I sent it to Tag for another battery change, they then sent me an estimate for all sorts - new bezel and new face as it had faded - the adverts for the watch at the time boasted about the paint being of a special non fading variety. Total was a couple of hundred which I wasn't willing to pay but they wouldn't change the battery alone so I had it returned.

So I got a ?6 tool from ebay and now do it myself - and my sister does her own too. As Charles mentions you are paying for the looks as it really looks lovely but my Casio digital's have all been far more accurate.

Interestingly, when you look inside one at the guts they don't look special at all.

Comment

What are you paying for with a 'luxury' quartz watch? They will be no more accurate than a Casio F-91W (the terrorists favourite watch).
                      You could also ask the question with regard to mechanicals as a lot simply use ETA internals but at least you can see some complexity here.

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
                        What are you paying for with a 'luxury' quartz watch? They will be no more accurate than a Casio F-91W (the terrorists favourite watch).
                        You could also ask the question with regard to mechanicals as a lot simply use ETA internals but at least you can see some complexity here.
                        The same can be said for a "luxury" Automatic, most have a similar calibre or case it's just what side your bread is buttered.

As always with these things, you're paying for better materials and craftsmanship. But when you get to a certain price, it's purely down to exclusivity.

Comment

It has long been my dream to own a luxury watch and I am now finally in the fortunate position to be able to buy myself my first luxury watch. I am looking at Omega, Breitling or if i can stretch my budget a little more, possibly a Rolex. I get that to many people spending several thousands on a watch is rather vein but at the end of the day its going to be a purchase that i expect will last me many, many years and i will enjoy and appreciate what i am wearing.

A watch is the only kind of jewelry im ever going to own, i dont wear rings, bracelets etc. Yes it can be seen as vein and to some people a waste of money and whilst its true very few people would ever be able to tell if its a fake or not, but i will know its genuine. At the end of the day i have worked damn hard to be able to afford it.

Comment

Both are lovely watches

I think omega have a greater choice in lovely watches whereas breitling only have a few I would buy

Obviously this is my choice in what I like

Comment

Like Tag Heuer for some peoples dream brand, Breitling's have always been my brand of choice when i dreamed of owning an luxury watch, but im now starting to think are they a little bit to bling? Which is why when im looking to spend this amount of money on a watch, a few extra ?100's is not unreasonable if it gets me into the Rolex ballpark, and i find they look at lot more subtle and tasteful. But a dream is a dream ands its really hard decision to make.

Comment

Yeah a lot of people call them breitbling

I always liked the seawolf avenger until I saw it in person and it wasn't that nice, however I never liked the look of the superocean 44 but saw that in the flesh and now I have two of them (superocean 44 and a superocean 44 2)

I would love to own a Rolex submariner but can't justify the price on that one, so I got a seiko sea urchin instead

Comment

Working...
                                X