Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Credit Card Fraud or "Yay! All my money has been stolen".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having done a quick bit of searching, it's the registered address of a company called "Creative Mind". Someone doing the dodgy at work, or a fake delivery address?
    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by StuM82 View Post
      The natural thing to do is firebomb the address
      I now know the reason why Google StreetView was made. Didn't get a great view as a huge tree is blocking my actual view of the house, but there is a blue van parked outside.

Mayhem, good find and you may be correct because a quick look on the The Corporate Merchandise Co. website shows that they print logos and what not, for your comapny on a range of office accessories. However where a sat nav comes into have no idea (didn't even come up on the search function of the website!).

EDIT: BTW how did you find it was a registered address of a company?
      Last edited by KIT786; 02-05-2009, 22:18.

Comment

I've just been hit again. Had a phonecall from my credit card company today saying that ?900 has been taken out for an insurance company, along with Carphone Warehouse stuff. I wonder if it was linked to the incident with Shopto.

Comment

Originally posted by KIT786 View Post
          EDIT: BTW how did you find it was a registered address of a company?
          Google. Seriously. Google...
          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Yay! My turn for this. ~£150 out to National Express in Birmingham (Three different payments). Just finished on the phone getting the card cancelled and arranging for claim forms to get the money back.

Comment

I really think ALL internet sites where you can buy anything at all, from sweets and tiny knick-knacks to massive TVs and hovercrafts should have to by law use the Verified by Visa scheme or something similar. It would certainly help to reduce internet card misuse crime.

Comment

Agreed. I don't understand why Visa don't force them to use the system - perhaps the wheels are in motion for it though, and everyone needs to support it by a certain date?

Still, I don't know if these transactions were online or whether they just got hold of my card details and did it over the phone.

Comment

I've become very paranoid about my credit card now. I'm even thinking of reducing the limit right down to a few hundred quid.

Comment

My wife checks our account religiously on a daily basis, so any undetected shenanigans (I found out about this when my card was declined at the petrol station yesterday morning) on that account would be picked up quickly. Anyone ****ing with my CC account however and, if the supplier misses it, god knows how much they'd rack up before I found it.

Just be cautious where you can. Try to stick to the bigger sites (I'd pay a little more for piece of mind, personally) that you know will have invested heavily in their security. I'd also like all sites to have the option of a system whereby you enter your details for that transaction only and your details are wiped. I went through some of the places I have cards registered yesterday and a lot of them don't allow you to remove all payment methods (Play.com, for example).

I'm still not convinced this came from an online site though.

Comment

I try to stay with the usual online stores, but sometimes I have to take a chance to fuel my addiction to books, which means using sites that I'm not familiar with. *checks online statement*

Comment

I signed up to the Verfied by VISA scheme when it was first introduced. Since then I have been required to use it on only one occasion. I can't honestly even remember my password for it now.

Comment

Wife had this issue last week, someone in the States had used her card for a payment and she went through the whole cancel card send new one etc stuff. The credit card company picked it up and contacted her though, so quite impressed with that. Even more so that considering the amount of time, calls and other expenses they would have incurred, they still do it despite the payment being only for 27p

Comment

Had someone buy airline tickets with my card last week! The bank didn't even notice the ?700 missing!

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                              I signed up to the Verfied by VISA scheme when it was first introduced. Since then I have been required to use it on only one occasion. I can't honestly even remember my password for it now.
                              Really? Pretty much everywhere I use it online except Amazon asks me for mine.

Comment

*sigh* Just had money nicked from my account. Tesco, GAME and Pizza Express all benefited at my expense, racking up around £300; maybe more to come from yesterday and today. As a mildly amusing side issue, during the phone call to my bank they said that their records showed I was born 1901, and was this correct?

I look forward to the universal ID card. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X