Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Credit Card Fraud or "Yay! All my money has been stolen".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn, that's me defrauded as well now

They booked some airplane tickets from expedia yesterday by the looks of it... Am I allowed to investigate this myself with the site, or does that count as vigilantism?

Regarding the oxfam donation, this is very common. Donating online to charity is one of the quickest/safest ways to see if the card is still valid.

Comment

Oh yeah, that's what I meant to ask... Does anyone who was defrauded use shopto.net? I am also very careful with my card, and in fact hardly use this one anymore since paying it off.

However, I did put my card details into shopto.net, and they have a very dodgy system with the pre-orders, which must mean they have my details just lying around unencrypted in their database/office/wherever ready to be used. I really can't think of any where else I've been that could have gotten the details in a usable state.

Comment

I think a few folks have similar suspicions m8, several in this thread, but non of us have proof and it could therefore be completely unfounded !

Comment

Happened to me this week. £1200 somewhere in london on train tickets, groceries and vodaphone.

*****, absolute *****.

I'm FURIOUS at the bank for allowing them to use my card to go £1000 over my overdraft before blocking the card.

No idea how this has happened since I rarely use the card they (apparently) cloned.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Ad, hope they sort it quick.

Comment

Nope, 10 days for the fraud form

5-10 days for them to send me a statement (wrong time of the month).

Up to and over 10 days to process.

It was from the account we put our child benefit into, I only noticed because we went to buy our eldest some new shoes.

They stole my kids money, it's a sick feeling I've not felt before, such vile anger in myself but so impotent to do anything.

I could have thrown a car over a building yesterday, really.

Yet all the while there's some ****ing idiot somewhere in south london not at all suprised at a customer spending £160 in a convenience store in 2 seperate transactions.

How the hell they spent £500 on train tickets in 3 days is beyond me...

Comment

Out of curiosity Jebus, have you ever been broken into? When I saw the totally wrong balance and fraudulent transactions, it was a spookily similar feeling to when I came home to our front door kicked in. Some absolute bastard has done me over, and I can do nothing about it, and of course they'll never get caught

Comment

Kind of. On holiday in Spain with my wife, son (second son wasn't born then), mum and some friends. They broke into our villa (oor err get us!!) and absolutely ransacked the place, even searched our nappy bag the absolute bastards.

I felt differently about that, I felt strangely heroic as I noticed something was wrong and went in alone to confront whomever was there (they'd already gone). I also handled all the police stuff etc and booked the flights home.

It ruined our holiday, we went home 9 days early and it was the first 2 week holiday we'd had in...well, ever actually!

I didn't get the sick feeling like I did yesterday (though I think that was also down to the fact I've done nearly 65 hours this week) but I felt the same impotent rage. They stole my childrens money, the money for their shoes...I'd kill em if I met em.

Comment

I feel the same way - the sort of scum who do this and thieves in general treat this sort of thing as a 'victimless' crime. But even when the CC company picks up the bill in the end (and pass it on via higher interest rates) you've still, at the very least, had to take time to sort out the problems it's caused. When they steal your money they're stealing part of your life and you can never get that back.

When you add in the specific psychological trauma, general anger and frustration to the practical hassles this should be seen as a really unpleasant type of crime..

Comment

Some prick used my card and spent £216 at the marriot hotel in preston. I found out about a week later when my statment came through and phoned up the credit card company. They sorted it out within the month thankfully.

I also use shopto and after reading some of the post here, I've asked them to remove my details from their system and I now await their reply (only asked yesterday).

Comment

What a disgrace, having TODAY recieved the statement I ordered 4 days ago I noticed (when filling out the fraud form, the one that was dated 2nd August that arrived on the 4th) the small print that, in summary says if I don't return all the paperwork within 10 days of the date of the letter, I accept full responsibilty for all the disputed transactions.

*****! I rang them in a veritable FURY about this, how DARE they give me a poor service, make me wait for a statement whilst MY CHILDREN go without because some bastard managed to get £1000 from my account?

HOW DARE THEY?

Rant over.

Comment

Prolly more Royal Mails fault at the moment isn't it?

Comment

I can sympathise with you Jebus !

I'm over four months in to trying to sort this out with Barclaycard, who in all their wisdom felt it a good idea to outsource their fraud management department to India. I keep providing them over the phone, by fax and now by mail with a complete reconciliation of the fraudulent transactions which ran accross two statements on my account, but can I get them to refund them in full, can I bollocks The problem is with a credit card it just runs and runs, as with each month that a balance remains on my account due to these fraudulent transactions I am hit with an interest charge, and then you have to go back to them again to express that this charge has to be refunded as well, which starts the whole process again !

TBH the stress it's causing trying to get the money back is far greater than that of originally finding out I'd been done !

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRox View Post
                              Prolly more Royal Mails fault at the moment isn't it?
                              How so? RM didn't write me a letter telling me if I don't return the documentation within 10 days I'll be liable! 10 days is a disgrace, even IF there wasn't ongoing industrial action that still means you need to request a statement, request the fraud forms, wait for them to come, fill them out, return them. I think 10 days is tight for no real reason...!

Comment

I think I'm going to have exactly the same trouble ^^ with Barclaycard and it is entirely down to their Indian customer 'care' system.

I telephoned and asked for a claim form 5 minutes after receiving the statement with the 3 dodgy transactions they hadn't blocked on my second card. Long story but it took three weeks and another 'phone call before a form arrived and even then it was the wrong one. I think I've sorted it out now but I just know the claim won't have been processed by the time my next statement is prepared.

So looks like I'm going to have to get another claim form to get back the interest they will, no doubt, be trying to charge me on the fraudulent stuff.

To cap it all I received a catalogue today from one of the retailers used by the fraudsters. So that means my real address is on their database - something else to have to deal with :-(

Comment

Working...
                                X