Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently, on top of it being incredibly 'insensitive' for Muslims to build a mosque near Ground Zero it's also now insensitive to show signs that Muslims (practitioners of the second largest religion in the world) exist on September 11th. That's what the Portland Press Herald learned when they had the audacity to publish a story about the end of Ramadan on their front page that included a terrifying picture of Muslims praying.

America's intolerance is sickening sometimes.

Newspaper prints article about local Muslims celebrating the end of Ramadan. Gets people complaining that it's an insult to write about Muslims on 9/11 (which is when Ramadan ended).

The news paper the APOLOGISES for portraying Muslims in a positive light without 'balancing' the article by saying 'The Muslims' caused 9/11.

Euch.

Comment

Hiliarious. Just.... wtf.

On a similar note, we tarnish America with such a general brush. Out of interest is intolerance particularly rampant in specific parts of the USA? It's such a big country.

Comment

Doesn't just seem to be just the 'hick' states unfortunately, seems to be occuring throughout the country at the moment.

There's the whole "ZOMG Mosque at (a site a couple of streets away from) ground zero" stuff, plus the Koran burning guy.

Comment

Americans have been sold the idea of Muslims as the bad guy. It's an exceptionally dangerous thing to have a whole community labelled like that and how the Jews were once sold as the bad guy should never be forgotton. That said, I can see how it's a pretty easy sale.

We've still got such a long way to go as people. I find it very disheartening and flat-out depressing at times.

Comment

Same here. Watching that 9/11 documentary two weeks back it depressed me to think that here we all are, stuck on this rock together, and the only thing we're really good at is finding ways to continue to commit appalling atrocities on one another.

The history of the human race is so fupped up, that I fail to see how there's much hope for us as a species.

Comment

Feels like that at times, doesn't it?

Iron Maiden have a track on their latest album based on Where The Wind Blows. Yeah, that might seem pretty funny and it's not like you'd expect Maiden to have their finger on the pulse of world feeling right now but I'm listening to Linkin Park's new album today and loads of it is apocalypse-themed. With The Road, Fallout 3 and other mass media nuclear disasters, there is a resurgance in expressions of the self-inflicted end of humanity.

What I find almost funny at times is how stupid it all is. I mean, take the old nuclear threat of the Cold War. Imagine the bombs were let loose and those of us who survived were living Mad Max-style. Given what we can do and what we're capable of, how absolutely unbelievably stupid would that be? But even on smaller scales, I find myself just thinking how crazy people killing or hurting other people is, for any reason.

Although it's weird, as I get older I notice there is a less tolerant streak emerging that effectively answers the 'why' to all of that for myself. I find myself looking at atrocities and thinking (Emperor Star Wars episode something style) 'Wipe them out. All of them'. Human nature coming to the fore, I guess.

Comment

Paralysed graffiti artist still going thanks to eye recognition tech

Comment

So awesome.

Comment

Kat Slay'aahhh!!!!!!!!11!!

Comment

WTF!?

Comment

I dreamed I was abducted last night - was a horrible dream, yet very intriguing. Had a day off work today, went and chilled beside the sea with the lady and the little one... but was left feeling slightly on edge due to my dream...
                        ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

I dreamt my wife was going to/then did leave me for another man. It took me most of the next day before I could 'forgive' her. I also once dreamt that Paul Sturrock (then manager of Sheffield Wednesday had died) when I woke up I straight away turned on the computer to read about his death.

Comment

Dreams are strange like that aren't they... They really do get in your head (haha - you know what i mean...)

Out of interest, did you tell your wife about your dream?

I often dream about things that have occurred or seemingly have hinted towards instances that have occurred. Pure coincidence? Absolutely, but it is amazing how our dreams can make us question reality, if only for a moment. Well... on reflection i question reality all the time, screwy dream or not, haha.
                            ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

I sometimes have dreams in Japanese. They're quite freaky. It's always about stupid stuff but the Japanese itself is sound, except for one particular dream where someone made a grammatical error while correcting my grammatical error, which is funny because it was basically me correcting myself. Incorrectly.

Huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Stone View Post
                                Dreams are strange like that aren't they... They really do get in your head (haha - you know what i mean...)

Out of interest, did you tell your wife about your dream?

I often dream about things that have occurred or seemingly have hinted towards instances that have occurred. Pure coincidence? Absolutely, but it is amazing how our dreams can make us question reality, if only for a moment. Well... on reflection i question reality all the time, screwy dream or not, haha.
                                True. Very strange sometimes when you have to check details with other people to see if certain thoughts/dreams were real or not.

Equally scary are the times when you can sense/know what is going to happen next in a conversation or situation. I had an experience of that today, I could have literally stopped time and told everyone what they were going to say/do for the next couple of minutes. Sure enough EXACTLY what I thought/knew was going to be said/done was said and done. It's always the same though that the situations are non important and not in the least interesting.

If only I could tune this in to the lottery numbers.......

Comment

Working...
                                X