No announcement yet.

The Tennis Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In all the excitement I didn't realise that Danish bird had been knocked out

I thought Murray made bloody hard work of that, he gritted it out a lot, but looked very poor at times. He was outclassed by the other bloke's power, but benefited from many unforced errors. Murray's first serve was hopeless, and his second is the wettest, fartiest thing I've ever seen, a real wet-paper-bag effort.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
      In all the excitement I didn't realise that Danish bird had been knocked out

I thought Murray made bloody hard work of that, he gritted it out a lot, but looked very poor at times. He was outclassed by the other bloke's power, but benefited from many unforced errors. Murray's first serve was hopeless, and his second is the wettest, fartiest thing I've ever seen, a real wet-paper-bag effort.
      Your forgetting Henmans second serve, lol. You could walk to other side of the court faster than his serve. Having said that, his first was a sack of sh*t as well.

Agree with you on Murray, i said something similar a few posts up. Getting to the business end now and he's struggling. He's a good player but is just missing something from his game. When he's good he's great, but when things aren't going right, he's bobbins.

His tenacity is a great asset, but against a top class operator its not really that much of an advantage. I also really don't think the crowd is totally behind him. Should he make the final against fed, i think the crowd will be split between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by NemesiS View Post
        Should he make the final against fed, i think the crowd will be split between the two.
        I'm hoping Karlovic will put Federer out in the next round so we can seem him cry like a spoilt brat again.

Comment

I think Murray will go out today, he spent himself on Monday with that epic match. Despite the hype I didn't see a potential championship winning player, and against better competition I don't think he has a chance. He's a great player and better than Henman ever was but he has too many weaknesses, particularly that serve!

I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Comment

I could never cheer for a Scottish player. Of any sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Stroppy View Post
              But he's British (while he's winning)

Comment

100% with you there matey, I actively hope him, and the scottish footy and rugby teams always get stuffed in whatever match they are in.

same for the Welsh & Irish too.

I find Murray particularly bad though, he's a sour faced misery who is openly anti-English, then thinks cos he's had 20 mins of PR training everybody will like him when he says wearing that footy shirt was a joke.

I like a bit of psych damage too though so hopefully he lose a 5 set thriller really closely on a disputed line call, after he's run out of challenges.

Comment

I just hope that chesty blonde is in the crowd again!

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

28:37 for those who missed it.

Nowt special, but it broke up the tense game for a few moments.

I thought most Brits cheered on Ireland, Wales and Scotland? I thought they just hated us?

Comment

Exactly. He makes no bones about the fact he hates the English so why should we support him.

Originally posted by Shoju View Post
                    I'm hoping Karlovic will put Federer out in the next round so we can seem him cry like a spoilt brat again.
                    Won't happen. I'll be amazed if it does. Karlovic has a mega serve but it won't be enough if they both hold to tie breaks.

I agree though that in the last 2 years Federer seems to have lost the humbleness that made him a great champion. He has developed an ego now (look at his tennis outfit!!!) which he never used to have when he was winning everything and i think this change in his persona has contributed to his poor streak (for him).

He seems to go into tournaments believing its his right to win which gets my goat a bit. Nadal who has the measure of him, knocking off his perch the last 18 months or so was great and it brought him to earth a bit.

Still a fantastic champion though and i hope he wins just to go past Yankee Samprass.

Comment

Murray is two sets up already - don't think I'll get to see any of this game today! Got Friday off so I hope he wins (I think he will!!) so I can watch him in the semi's!

Comment

Just a query what hate Scottish, Irish or Welsh teams or players?

i personally dont care who wins what except the English national side

reason being is the team you have is tremendous that achieves hee-haw

why, because of the hype the people/press/the nation put on the team, yeah we invented this and we are better than everybody else infact nobody in the galaxy is as good as we are. 66 still gets banded around like it was last week especially Motson

if it wasnt so in your face i would most definately support any UK team left in XXX competition

at least we recognise that we're pish

Rugby, cricket etc i dont really care

tis a shame that most people have reasons to hate the English and the only reason the English hate everybody else is...... because they hate us first

with the risk of being banned Stroppy you're a tool

some good members have just shown their true colours and its pretty shocking
                        Last edited by buster_broon; 01-07-2009, 15:42.

Comment

I don't care where Murray is from or whatever - I'll support him as he is British and I want him to win (I am half Scottish and half Irish if that is relevant)

Comment

This is why rabbidly supporting a team/person in any sport based on location is bad. Eventually it will roll over into real life.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                              This is why rabbidly supporting a team/person in any sport based on location is bad. Eventually it will roll over into real life.
                              totally agree pal

sure my wife has some hen-mania tshirts lying around the place, she loves tennis and she couldnt get enough of Henman, feck she went all gooey last week when he was on wonathan woss's show

Comment

I support all English, Scotish and Welsh teams (not fussed about Northern Ireland) in any sport. However, if I was Scotish or Welsh I wouldn't support the English. As fans we are sometimes massive cocks. At Euro 2000 I was on my honeymoon and I lasted 45 mins of England V Germany in an "English" bar. I watched the rest of the match with all the other Europeans down the road.

Comment

Working...
                                X