No announcement yet.

The Tennis Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watching the highlight now - wow. Im not really a tennis fan, I must admit, but even I can appreciate the sheer will, determination and skill poured into those shots. Really inspiring stuff
    ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo View Post
      Absolutely superb, I hope the anti Murray squad will be quietened for a bit.
      Now he can release his 2nd autobiography!!

Comment

Dont want to troll, good for Andy and all that but will this get normal kids onto Tennis Courts more now? Surely the LTA need to pull their thumbs out and use this to start churning out more top 5 ranked players? Tennis has always appeared to me as a bit elitist, bit middle/upper class and I feel this is why an Englishman hasnt got to the final since Fred.

Comment

Roger Federer just beat Tsonga so it's Murray vs Fed in the Australian Open quarters.

Not sure who I want to win... I'd like Murray to win more slams but I'd also like Federer to have a couple of renaissance years to end his career and get up to twenty grand slam wins (longish shot probably, but if he stays fit and finds top form, he's got it in him). Probably have to side with Federer I think, even seeing him win one more grand slam before he hangs up the racquet would be fantastic.

Either way, whoever wins this match, I hope they go on to win the tournament

Comment

I didn't see the match but from what I've read it seems that Federer was in great form against Murray today. Just the stumble in the third set where he threw away match points and allowed Murray back into the match to blot his copybook, but overcame that setback to wrap it up in the fourth.

Another hopefully epic Federer vs Nadal encounter up next in the semi-finals!

Comment

Yeah federer was in good form. Didn't really let Murray into it.

Comment

Sounds like a fairly comfortable win for Nadal today, was hoping for a five set epic so it would still be going on at lunch and I could watch some of it. Ah well.

I hope Wawrinka can win on Sunday, it'd be nice to see a new name win a grand slam, but beating Nadal is going to take a herculean effort. Still, there wouldn't be a better time for him to get his first ever victory over Nadal!

Comment

The first set was very even and Federer did have his chances to win the set. The 2nd and 3rd sets though Nadal took control and Federer started to struggle especially when Nadal would hit a hard high bouncing shot to Federer's backhand. I think unless the blister on his hand gets alot worse he should be able to win his 14th GS and tie 2nd all time with Sampras.

Comment

Stanislas Wawrinka wins! Nadal was hampered by injury but still a fantastic win for Wawrinka. Great to see a different name winning a grand slam, when was the last time one of the "big four" didn't win one? Del Potro? And that was quite a few years ago now.

Edit: yup, Del Potro, US Open in 2009.
                    Last edited by EJG1980; 26-01-2014, 10:46.

Comment

Originally posted by EJG1980 View Post
                      Stanislas Wawrinka wins! Nadal was hampered by injury but still a fantastic win for Wawrinka. Great to see a different name winning a grand slam, when was the last time one of the "big four" didn't win one? Del Potro? And that was quite a few years ago now.
                      Happy for Stan - fantastic achievement for him.

Tough going for Rafa though - he was basically screwed from second set onwards with his back troubles.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                        Happy for Stan - fantastic achievement for him.

Tough going for Rafa though - he was basically screwed from second set onwards with his back troubles.
                        The fact that he still managed to win that third set is testament to just how good he is, great spirit to keep going.

Comment

Originally posted by EJG1980 View Post
                          The fact that he still managed to win that third set is testament to just how good he is, great spirit to keep going.
                          True, although some of that was down to nerves from Stan - first major final and all that.

Here's hoping Rafa can get back to fitness in time for Roland Garros. Many hate his near-decade of domination at the French Open but I personally love seeing him win it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                            Here's hoping Rafa can get back to fitness in time for Roland Garros. Many hate his near-decade of domination at the French Open but I personally love seeing him win it.
                            I have no problem with someone that good dominating. He's the best on clay, he plays brilliantly, he deserves to win. Simple as that. I suppose if someone plays a boring style and dominates with it then it could get annoying, but that's not the case with Nadal.

It'd be good to see him get up to ten titles at the French. Really, unless he's derailed by injury, he'll probably get more than ten.

Comment

I'd echo the comments about Stan and Nadal, Happy for Stan and glad to see someone out of the big four not to win a Grand Slam, also Nadal just shows what a gent he is to carry on and not just go off injured to spoil the spectacle for all - particularly his mate Stan.

Comment

Me and Mrs A went for a trip to London for the match of the day;

Don't worry the thong wasn't on display.

Comment

Working...
                                X