No announcement yet.

The Tennis Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking highly likely that Djokovic will surpass Federer and Nadal for majors.

Simply nobody in the men's game on his level right now.

Comment

We saw Shapo and Berrettini play in the quarters (as above), they both have a game to beat Djokovic along with Tsitsipas but it's the unforced errors that makes the difference between them and the big three though Djoko is the master at running down the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
        We saw Shapo and Berrettini play in the quarters (as above), they both have a game to beat Djokovic along with Tsitsipas but it's the unforced errors that makes the difference between them and the big three though Djoko is the master at running down the ball.
        I'd seriously question all of that.

At full tilt, Djokovic is technically superior to all the guys you mention and it's not even close.

His fitness used to be questioned, but not any more. His mentality also used to be an issue but it isn't anymore - he has clear winning records over Rafa and Roger now.

Nothing stopping Novak getting at least another five slams IMO.

Comment

Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of Mr D but personally I think it's closer than you suggest, going off what we saw in the FO, Tsitsipas two sets up and blow it rather than Djokovic using his superior skills to come back then at Wimbledon yesterday Berrettini clearly making loads of errors like hitting the net and so on makes me think he won't find it so easy going forward.

I still think he'll take the Gold if he appears in Tokyo and the US but from next year as I said I personally think he won't find it so easy.

Comment

Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of Mr D but personally I think it's closer than you suggest, going off what we saw in the FO, Tsitsipas two sets up and blow it rather than Djokovic using his superior skills to come back then at Wimbledon yesterday Berrettini clearly making loads of errors like hitting the net and so on makes me think he won't find it so easy going forward.

I still think he'll take the Gold if he appears in Tokyo and the US but from next year as I said I personally think he won't find it so easy.
            Respectfully, this comment has aged badly.

Djokovic has since gone on to prove himself the world's best by far and may yet become the all-time greatest, whilst the "next gen" simply haven't challenged.

It isn't close.

Comment

A Star is Born.

2021 US Open Ladies Champion in only her second major appearance, from qualifier to the main draw to the final without dropping a set - FIRST EVER player to do that.

First British ladies major winner since Virginia Wade's Jubilee Wimbledon triumph in 1977.

What a performance!!

Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 11-09-2021, 22:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                Respectfully, this comment has aged badly.

Djokovic has since gone on to prove himself the world's best by far and may yet become the all-time greatest, whilst the "next gen" simply haven't challenged.

It isn't close.
                Eh!

How can it age badly, I've said he will probably win the US, let's look at next year and if you read and understand what I wrote all I've said is I don't think he will find it as easy in 2022!

...by the way how did he do at the Olympics....

Comment

A Star is Born.

2021 US Open Ladies Champion in only her second major appearance, from qualifier to the main draw to the final without dropping a set - FIRST EVER player to do that.

First British ladies major winner since Virginia Wade's Jubilee Wimbledon triumph in 1977.

What a performance!!

I would agree with this though, Emma was great. LF is good too I think they will have some good battles in the future, imagine what Raducanu will be like when she's 25!

Comment

Eh!

How can it age badly, I've said he will probably win the US, let's look at next year and if you read and understand what I wrote all I've said is I don't think he will find it as easy in 2022!

...by the way how did he do at the Olympics....
                    I see nothing to stop him in 2022, tbh. Barring the Olympics (which doesn't really matter because it's not the pinnacle of tennis achievement), he's largely been untroubled this year - 44-5 for the season overall and 27-0 in the majors. He'll be holding all four majors at once if he beats Medvedev tonight, which'll be the second time that he has done the proper calendar Grand Slam (something Roger and Rafa have never done, unless I'm mistaken).

It's all good talking about next year but current form and momentum obviously dictate and give good indicators of what is to come. Context.

The supposed up-and-comers simply haven't stepped up (No, I don't see Medvedev beating him tonight). It's starting to get a bit "they'll come good next year, honest!" every year.
                    Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 12-09-2021, 09:42.

Comment

I see nothing to stop him in 2022,
                      OK, he may take everything next year and the year after, all I said was I don't think he will find it 'as' easy.

I would say the Olympics does matter to him, he was gutted after being beaten in Rio and it is the only prize he hasn't got and very unlikely to win one now.

Comment

I would say the Olympics does matter to him, he was gutted after being beaten in Rio and it is the only prize he hasn't got and very unlikely to win one now.
                        In the grand scheme of his achievements, I disagree.

He won Bronze at the Beijing Olympics in 2008. Would he like Gold? I'm sure he would. I wouldn't say he'd be gutted about not having it though. He'd never swap a single one of his major wins for it.

Comment

In the grand scheme of his achievements, I disagree.

He won Bronze at the Beijing Olympics in 2008. Would he like Gold? I'm sure he would. I wouldn't say he'd be gutted about not having it though. .
                          Fair enough that's your opinion, however;

“No doubt this is one of the toughest losses in my life and in my career. It’s not easy to handle, especially now, just after the wounds are still fresh. But, you know, you have to deal with it. It’s not the first or the last time I am losing a tennis match. But the Olympic Games, yeah, it’s completely different.”

He'd never swap a single one of his major wins for it.
                          Wouldn't disagree, though I never said anything of the contrary.

Comment

Fair enough that's your opinion, however;

“No doubt this is one of the toughest losses in my life and in my career. It’s not easy to handle, especially now, just after the wounds are still fresh. But, you know, you have to deal with it. It’s not the first or the last time I am losing a tennis match. But the Olympic Games, yeah, it’s completely different.”

Wouldn't disagree, though I never said anything of the contrary.
                            I never said that you did say anything of the contrary.

In the heat of the battle, of course he'll feel that way. Tennis is a physically and mentally demanding sport as we know.

Personally, I suspect he'll put it in perspective (if he hasn't already done so). He's got a great chance of going down as the greatest player of all-time. I don't see that being diminished because he doesn't have an Olympic Gold and ultimately I don't think he does either.
                            Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 12-09-2021, 19:34.

Comment

I never said that you did say anything of the contrary.
                              True but you did add another comment into the discussion which could be taken that I said something contrary, that's how I took it.

In the heat of the battle, of course he'll feel that way. Tennis is a physically and mentally demanding sport as we know.
                              Indeed but his comments make a specific point about that particular loss, I don't think he or to be fair every single player says those words after each GS defeat, in addition Del Potro made specific comments in the article if you read it all about Novak's desire for a gold.

Would he swap one of his GS for a gold medal well you have the answer as you already know 100% he wouldn't.

Comment

True but you did add another comment into the discussion which could be taken that I said something contrary, that's how I took it.

Indeed but his comments make a specific point about that particular loss, I don't think he or to be fair every single player says those words after each GS defeat, in addition Del Potro made specific comments in the article if you read it all about Novak's desire for a gold.

Would he swap one of his GS for a gold medal well you have the answer as you already know 100% he wouldn't.
                                Lol.

I really, really don't think that it is outlandish to suggest that Novak Djokovic prioritises majors over an Olympic Gold, nor do I think that I need to know him personally to ascertain that.

Again, Olympic Gold isn't the pinnacle of achievement in Tennis. ATP Masters 1000 titles are arguably far more important.

Again, I'm sure that he wanted to do better than his 2008 Olympic Bronze and I'm sure he is/was genuinely disappointed. I really don't think he'll be living with the regret of not getting Olympic Gold when he hangs the racquet up. I'm sorry, I just don't.

Comment

Working...
                                X