No announcement yet.

The Tennis Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll always bat for the like of Nadal and Sampras as my all-time faves and many others will bat for Federer, but I think that Novak Djokovic, for all of his many detractors, has ended the Tennis GOAT debate pretty conclusively - the numbers don't lie and the records and his longevity are really really hard to argue against at this point.

Unless he has a spectacular physical decline in the next year or two, I can genuinely see him ending his career with 30 major wins.
    Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 11-09-2023, 11:01.

Comment

I like Novak - a lot, I hope I can see him play before he retires. Personally don't think he will get to thirty though I hope he at least gets another one.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
        I like Novak - a lot, I hope I can see him play before he retires. Personally don't think he will get to thirty though I hope he at least gets another one.
        Frankly, he looks like he'll win several more before he's done. If he doesn't get to 30 slam wins, he'll get close. He "only" has to repeat a three-slam year twice to get there.

Alcaraz and possibly Medvedev aside, there's nobody else to challenge him and even those two can't do it consistently enough to deny him.

But we'll see.

Comment

I take your point, but the way I see it is that every GS Novak is getting older and at his age he will probably regress every so slightly, certainly every year there will be a fall-off whereas Alcaraz is getting stronger.
          Novak is the fittest tennis player we've ever seen - I think but even he can't last forever. If we were having this discussion five years ago then I would say getting to thirty is almost nailed on.

The men's game at the moment is riveting.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
            I take your point, but the way I see it is that every GS Novak is getting older and at his age he will probably regress every so slightly, certainly every year there will be a fall-off whereas Alcaraz is getting stronger.
            Novak is the fittest tennis player we've ever seen - I think but even he can't last forever. If we were having this discussion five years ago then I would say getting to thirty is almost nailed on.

The men's game at the moment is riveting.
            That is why I said it will obviously depend on if he physically declines in the next year or two - something that doesn't appear to be the case. Also, he is clearly prioritising his schedule for the slams and Masters 1000 events so he doesn't have a heavy workload. With his fitness, a slight regression may still be enough to win 1-2 majors a year.

Bottom line is that he still the best in the world right now and Alcaraz and Medvedev, as good as they are, are not at his level of consistency. 30 slams may not be nailed on but it isn't impossible so I wouldn't be surprised if he actually did it.
            Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 15-09-2023, 07:20.

Comment

Congratulations Sinner wins AO, wife picked Sinner from the start. Medvedev played a cracking first set but long matches previously took their toll.

Kyrgios has been excellent as a colour commentator, his on court interview with Djokovic the other day was top drawer.

Djokovic also gets my award for the best kit.

Comment

Working...
              X