Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well i was thinking buzzsaw, but then theres the problem of holding it shut when driving about, pva glue maybe?

Comment

pencil shaving? Unless there's electrics in there. carbon makes a much better lubricant for locks than oil based.

Comment

Anyone got any experience of the Corsa D (latest model), particularly the petrol 1.2s/1.4s? I fancy a cheap run around as I don't need to drive very often and I walk to work. I've read a few reviews and they all seem to say it's really slow.

I used to own a 1.4 Fiesta and the on paper performance is about the same so I don't think it would bother me that much, I know you have to rev the knackers off these cars to get up to motorway velocity!

I'd love a Golf GTI or a Scirocco but I can't justify spending so much on something that is going to sit in the parking space 99% of the time. Looked into a new shape Polo but they're too pricey. I don't like the older shape ones.

Comment

I had a 1.2 petrol Corsa recently as a loaner for a week - I really hated it. It was insanely slow (Granted I'm used to nippier cars) and not at all comfortable - in fact almost everything about it bothered me. Right down to the annoying indicators!

Can't remember what plate it was on, think it was an 09? Not sure what model that makes it. Should be easy enough to arrange a test drive I would think though - maybe they'll allow a longer one so that you can get used to it?

Comment

Yeah, I'm really put off it after hearing these reviews. A lot of opinions similar to yours. The strange thing is there are loads on the roads so how do they sell so many? Perhaps it's the 3 cylinder engine and insane weight that makes it so slow? It's funny how many people mention the seats, apparently they are flat and hard, not good qualities.

Was also thinking about a MINI mk2 but I've heard they're not very reliable/well built and they seem impractical, although that's not a major concern for me.

Comment

Yeah, the seats were like sitting on cardboard. Again though the seats in my Clio were great (Sports seats, so good support) so I'm not sure if it's my judgement that's out.

They'll be commonplace because 99% of the car buying populace, particularly at the lower end of the market in terms of price, will just go for whatever they can afford. A lot still steer clear of makes like Seat/Skoda so Ford/Vauxhall is pretty much it.

I know my Dad will buy Ford next time, despite them making no effort to get his sale and the car not being terribly good value for money against some of the competition. :/

I hear nothing but positive comments about the Mini, but I haven't looked into buying so can't comment on reliability. Surprised to hear they have quality issues though, given who builds them now.

Comment

Hi all,

I know I don't post very often but I'm always lurking there day to day in the background but I thought I'd just ask for some friendly advice!

I put my Diesel Yaris in to my local garage to get checked out as it's been playing up badly for the last week, as in slamming into first and reverse gears; when dropping to first from second it feels like you've hit a brick wall; when in reverse you have to keep your foot on the brake to stop it speeding off as though it's got a mind of its own and has on occasion sounded like someone has squashed a couple of buckets under the bonnet when started up from cold.

Today they called me and gave me the list of problems...

The gearbox, clutch and engine management system have to be replaced...

And they've also told me that the Intercooler and Turbocharger need replacing as they've been sucking the oil out of the engine, which obviously isn't good, something which came to light a couple of weeks ago when I checked the oil and it was at a minimum.

The car is 2 years old and done less than 15K miles, was bought nearly new with 2k on the clock.

From all of this, I'd quite happily not take the car back as it all sounds rather serious for a car that's so new. And I'm worried that the engine could be damaged with the oil being sucked out of it.

I'm just looking for some advice as to how serious this is and whether I should actually reject the car due to the seriousness of the faults or only accept it back with a new engine, just in case.

All advice will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Spooky

Comment

That's a pretty severe list of faults considering the car is relatively new. I'm assuming it's all covered under warranty? If not, then I would seriously be questioning some of those fault points... such as why they need to replace the ECU.

Personally I wouldn't want it back, but it's your call. I'm assuming that you bought a diesel as you do a lot of miles?

Comment

Hi there Hohum,

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I love my cars but I'm not exactly 'up' on my knowledge of the inner workings of these metal beasties but even I was concerned about what he was telling me.

I bought it (nearly new, 2K on the clock, motability job), from a major Toyota dealer up north , who I've spoken to today about where I stand as regards rejecting it etc., Apparently the manager will be calling me tomorrow. Personally, like you say, I don't want it back. For a car to develop such a string of problems in such a short time gets the alarm bells ringing.

I do about 15K miles a year now so probably can't justify the need for a diesel anyway.

I'm going to go for 3 options.

1) They take it back and I settle what I owe minus its value.
                    2) Demand it has a new engine then get shot of it asap.
                    3) Demand a new car then get rid of that asap. (A close friend of the family was given a new Honda Civic after the gearbox in his died after 2 years from new).

I just can't explain how much this string of faults has freaked me out! I thought it might just be a clutch issue or something but not all this. I'm demanding a full report as to what's wrong and why it's wrong.

Yes, it's covered by the warranty, but I won't be accepting the car back. They can have their loan car back but I will not be accepting my car in return, not by any stretch of the imagination.

I knew I should've stuck with my little Aygo bucket! It was basic but it worked!

Comment

I'd imagine it's unlikely they'd give you a new engine, but regardless that would be a last resort option I reckon. Better off trying to get them to take it off your hands altogether, and then having a look at something else.

15k miles a year is a decent amount, so diesel isn't that bad a choice. I'm not sure I'd want to be doing that kind of mileage regularly in a small hatchback though... do you get out at the end of your journey somewhat worse for wear?

Comment

Originally posted by Hohum View Post
                        15k miles a year is a decent amount, so diesel isn't that bad a choice. I'm not sure I'd want to be doing that kind of mileage regularly in a small hatchback though... do you get out at the end of your journey somewhat worse for wear?
                        Heh! 7 days a week of nearly 4 hours of constant stop start city driving... You really really don't want to know! Many cushions in the car and not a woman in sight... Though trust me, it was worse in the Aygo, probably much like riding a mechanical bull riding machine from the US that's been plugged directly into a UK power supply. (Not the woman, the car I mean...)

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll just have to see what happens tomorrow. I'm looking into the possibility of other cars though... BMW 1 Series, Merc CLC, Ford Focus or some more bum numbing bone shaking action in the shape of a mini cooper S...

Comment

Have you considered a saloon? Ford Mondeos in particular are great value on the used market (partly because they're seen as 'boring', partly due to being so commonplace). Can get a fully loaded version for comparatively little money, nice and comfortable, and not bad on fuel costs (particularly as you can cruise down motorways in 6th as opposed to revving the guts off a smaller engine). Won't get buffeted about by crosswinds as much either.

Perhaps get an automatic aswell if you haven't already - as much as a manual can be fun on the open road, it's just an almighty pain in the arse in the stop/start traffic you mention. I guess what I'm suggesting is... get something suited to the travelling you do. I know I'd be ditching my small hatchback and looking at something along the lines of the above if I was doing your kinda mileage, don't want to get to my destination only to find myself hobbling around like a cripple for the rest of the day.

Comment

Funny thing is recently I had access to a Mercedes C Class saloon for a week, which I loved, so smooth, comfy and powerful... Unfortunately I didn't love watching the petrol needle moving closer and closer to empty in realtime! Scary!

I used to own a Focus,first car, loved it, but downsized... bad move.

Would quite happily have a Focus ST, but having only an auto licence, (yep, I'm a lazy bugger), I'm restricted as to what 'fun' cars I can throw into the mix. (Plan on doing the manual soon though, finally!)

I don't mind the Mondeo. Recently saw a full loaded Titanium X version, could quite go for that.

Love the Mini but worry I'll be going too small.

People keep pointing me to a Golf, the latest one, nice but wow, how much?!

The whole thing is such a pain in the backside... I want something comfy and powerful but fun to drive with good handling... Preferably without the realtime fuel gauge action and footprint of 2 Aygos!

I guess a Camaro is out of the question when it's release here next year then... sniff....

Love that car, even though it'd be about as much use for me as an ashtray on a motorbike...
                            Last edited by Guest; 01-09-2010, 23:38. Reason: typing error

Comment

Focus is decent, but you won't get as much car for your money in comparison (and I'd imagine the sporty ST version will have harder suspension... is that really a good idea? )

Not that big a fan of the new Mini myself - stylish, but not much space on the inside considering the external dimensions of the car. I also think Golfs are overpriced for what they are, although there are a few people on here who are fans of them.

Did a quick google for Merc C Class to see what sort of MPG they get:

Seems to suggest around 20MPG in worst case scenarios (urban), combined MPG somewhere around 30... which is pretty thirsty, I have to agree. A diesel Mondeo (TDCi) for comparison:

Considerably easier on your wallet. Holds up well against the diesel-engined Focus range too for that matter. Anyway, I recommend you do some reading around.
                              Last edited by Hohum; 02-09-2010, 00:07.

Comment

Mondeos are really great to drive, I've had a go with a few of them over the years.

Comment

Working...
                                X