Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does an auto licence allow you to drive sequential equipped cars, like the VW DSG gearbox? If so that gives you some options.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
      Does an auto licence allow you to drive sequential equipped cars, like the VW DSG gearbox? If so that gives you some options.
      Hey Number45! Yep, Auto licence does indeed allow you to drive sequential equipped cars and yes, I quite happily lust over the VW GTD... but it's waaay out of my price range... one day, maybe...

Hey there Hohum, don't worry, I've been driving myself nuts over the last few months looking into all of this, even more so than when I was a home cinema nut looking into speaker and amp combinations... It drove the other half nuts, we're now separated... oops...

I think I may look a bit more into the mondeo. Focus ST would be lovely but like you say, the ride may be a bit harsh for day to day. Thankfully, my Yaris has the much lowered suspension and handles much better than the god awful sponge version of the Yaris I'm driving at the mo! I have a test drive of the Mini Cooper S on Sunday but still think as nice as it is, it may be downsizing too far. BMW 1 series diesel sport has been highly recommended to me so I may take that for a spin on Sunday too.

As regards my car saga, I've spoken to 2 people, one a lawyer, one a consumer lawyer, and they've both recommended I take the car back as they have done all the work under warranty and in good time, (2 days) as the only way I'll know if there are still issues with it is to use it day to day as normal, which makes sense. The service manager of the original dealer I bought it from up north spoke to my local dealer down here in London to confirm all the problems. He explained a couple of issues which my local dealer failed to mention. Apparently the MMT ECU wasn't just replaced due to being 'corrupt', it's been replaced and superseded by a whole new unit with new software etc, which is actually part of a nationwide Toyota bulletin. Funny how they failed to mention that. The turbo charger was replaced due to it pulling oil from the engine but the Northern dealer reckons the possibility of actual damage it could have caused was over exaggerated by my local dealer. The intercooler also needed to be cleaned through because of the Turbocharger's issue. And they drained and replaced the engine oil. The car is due for its service now but I'll be taking it back up north as the manager has promised to go over the work my local dealer has done and the whole engine etc., with a fine tooth comb at no extra charge with a full report to give me peace of mind, which I can't really say no to really!

I'll be glad to get my car back. This bog standard Yaris courtesy car I'm driving at the moment is like driving a sponge, it's just so yuck and unbelievably slow to change gears which change at the most ridiculous and inconvenient times and is a joke round corners, not like my one which flies round hyde park corner and marble arch all nice and tight without a slip like no-ones business at a generous speed, within legal limits of course officer...

It's the so called SR version with the 1.4 diesel engine with the much lowered suspension & 16inch Toyota Sport Alloys... The ride is hard, but not sooo bad... Well, I keep telling myself. Speed bumps are a bastard, having to go over them at no more than 12 miles an hour is soooo frustrating, but once they're out the way, it's quite fun!

Thanks to you all for your advice and replies though I'll probably be giving you all grief soon when I start narrowing down which car to trade my Yaris in for!
      Last edited by Guest; 02-09-2010, 19:22. Reason: typing error

Comment

If it's any help, I drove the Seat Ibiza Cupra Bocanegra with the 1.4TSi engine and the DSG gearbox before I changed cars earlier this year. Was a nice little car, and only around £18k. I didn't drive it too far so I can't give you any detailed impressions but it was nippy and comfortable, and it looks really nice as well.

Comment

Word to wise

Booked my insurance last year via Kwik Fit and it's due up in 2 weeks time so just recieved the renewal. I'm a really low mileager, I'm averaging only 4,000 per year now and this will be my last one before selling it on and becoming a full fledged pedestrian for a few years as I plan to live city centre so won't need it.

Current car is a 1.9dci Renault Megane and is fairly cushy and well looked after as it used to be owned and maintained by Renault themselves. Well, renewal just came in and... a price hike on last years total by around ?600 despite no incidents and falling mileage. Needless to say they're getting a call tomorrow to say I don't want to renew. One comparison search was all it took to get a sea of quotes that were that figure less than what they#d given me... them included

Comment

The new Fabia VRS has the DSG box too.

Comment

...and so my small world of possibilities in the realm of a new car has expanded by a few more thanks to HoHum, Number45, StuM8 and vanpeebles... Damn you... Damn you all!!!

Looks like all my forthcoming weekends will be spent doing test drives... Not a bad past time I guess.

Vanpeebles, that Skoda vRS looks like it could an awesome little car, decent price too... But...

Number45, that Seat Ibiza Bocanegra looks the business!

Though, I'm worried, being 37, I'll probably be accused of suffering a mid-life crisis looking at these awesome hot-hatches etc., Somehow though, I think the days of cords, comfortable shoes Radio 4 and Antiques Roadshow are a long way off for me thankfully, (much to my parents annoyance who always told me that I'd stop playing games by the time I was 30 and stop watching cartoons by the time I was 20!). I mean no disrespect of course to those that love Radio 4 and Antiques Roadshow... and cords... and comfortable shoes... I'll just shut up now...

Comment

I know there is a fair amount of love for the old Fiat 500 here, so some people might hate me for this....

Oops! The page you're looking for isn't here. Explore our Fiat website for exciting models, features, and offers. Let's find what you're searching for!

If I had lottery funds and hadn't recently got a new car I might not be able to resist!

(Sorry for semi large image!)

Comment

Originally posted by Spooky View Post
                  Though, I'm worried, being 37, I'll probably be accused of suffering a mid-life crisis looking at these awesome hot-hatches etc.,
                  I'm 37 next month. My car. You'll be fine.

Friction, that 500 is beautiful! <3

Comment

Meh! Drive what you want, it's you paying for it Sod other people.

Comment

I love the 500 and I've been contemplating an Abarth for a good while now ... but pound for pound it simply won't deliver the thrills of my Type R. I'd love one but my sensible side keeps kicking in. And saving me thousands in the process

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
                        Friction, that 500 is beautiful! <3
                        I admit I wasn't keen on them at first, it's just they grew on me more and more as I saw them around. That and as my mate pointed out they wouldn't look out of place in a Ridge Racer game! I'd love to see one stickered up like a Ridge car with plenty of 'Mappy' 'Grobda' and maybe even some Pacman goodness on it!

Comment

Number45 - Liking the car... Very nice! Jealous though...

Vanpeebles - You're right, sod them all! Funny thing is, my new other half has always said she has no interest in what I drive, as long as it is a car and it goes she doesn't care... Until I started to mention what I was looking at... Audi TT (bank managers car apparently!), BMW (estate agents and BMW drivers... obviously some form of derogatory term... ), but then when I mentioned the Mini, it was all 'oooh, a mini? I'd love a Mini! You need this, this and this and these colours...' I turn to her and say, 'Will you be in any way contributing toward this car?' Response, 'Er, no, but it'll be OUR car so I have some say in it!' Bloody cheek!

Friction - The Fiat 500 is a weird one for me. I look at it and I know I should like it but for some reason it just doesn't work for me, though, that BlackJack version does have that 'something' if you know what I mean. If they can do me an Abarth version of that then I'd definately give it a look. Totally agree about the Ridge Racer angle though, I'd quite happily have one coated in loads of Namco goodness vinyl wrap, belting through London in the early hours with the first few Ridge Racer soundtracks blaring out for added effect.

For those interested in my earlier tale in regard to the Yaris, picked it up last night, drove it back an thought it felt 'different'. Did my normal South to North run this morning and it is indeed different, so different that it doesn't even feel like the car I originally bought. In simple terms, the 'go' has gone! It's now incredibly slow to pickup from zero and I can no longer floor it and nip into moving traffic. To be perfectly honest, if the car had felt like this on my test drives of it, I would have stayed well away. The spongey courtesy Yaris I had for a week felt better than my car does now! This is soooo not good...

But, at least I have my Mini Cooper S test drive tomorrow!

Can't wait!

Comment

If they replaced the ECU for a completely new unit then it may well feel different due to changes in hardware plus the software's engine mapping, although I suspect the reason you find it sluggish at the moment is because the unit is currently still 'learning' what the ideal running conditions are for the engine.

By the way, that Cooper S is going to drink a lot of fuel due to being supercharged... you have been warned.

Comment

Originally posted by Hohum View Post
                              If they replaced the ECU for a completely new unit then it may well feel different due to changes in hardware plus the software's engine mapping, although I suspect the reason you find it sluggish at the moment is because the unit is currently still 'learning' what the ideal running conditions are for the engine.

By the way, that Cooper S is going to drink a lot of fuel due to being supercharged... you have been warned.
                              Yeah, the MMT ECU was replaced for a new 'upgraded' part as the original has been 'superseded' apparently with new software etc., I just bloody hope it learns quick as the way the car drives at the moment is driving me nuts!

Yeah, I fear that the Cooper S is gonna be thirsty but unfortunately they don't have a standard Auto Cooper for me to test drive, but it'll give me some idea as to what to expect from a Mini. Realistically, I don't know if it's worth the extra expense of ?3K for that extra bit of power, which basically works out to be ?1000 per second shaved off the 0-62 rating. I much prefer the chrome grill front of the Cooper to the mesh of the Cooper S and would feel miffed at having to pay even more just for the different hood. Damn this car nonsense! Why can't it be easy!

I'm still gonna have a look at the BMW 1 series, 118d coupe version, seems quite well rated, a little expensive for sure but just might tick all the right boxes for size, drive and ride quality and fuel consumption... It's no VW GTD DSG, but there's no way I can stretch to that...

Comment

Originally posted by Hohum View Post
                                The revised Cooper S is actually turbocharged (despite the name) but of course it'll still drink the petrol.

Spooky, give us an update after the drive as I might be interested in one of these myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X