This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DavidHolliss View Post
    Must cost you a fortune in petrol (at these expensive times) though.

Out of interest, how much is petrol/diesel per litre in Japan Richard ? it's currently around 111.9/123.9 in sunny Essex.
    Premium comes in at under 200 yen per litre. Normally hovers around 185-195 so with a 1 pound = 190 yen right now, there's your answer. It was half that price less then two years ago. The governments need to step in, and take a tax hit and lower the price at the pumps before they damage the economy with their shortsightedness. I read that new car regs were down to their lowest level since the 60s for the month of Aug, in the UK. In Japan, sales are down too. Rentals have taken a hit as people opt for the train. The toll roads are seeing reduced usage (a good thing maybe) and haulage firms are struggling due to rising costs.  
    Last edited by Richard.John; 05-09-2008, 01:01.

Comment

I have a question.How many of you guys own/drive a car with an automatic transmission?

The reason I ask is that being a newly licenced driver, I am keen to drive as many
      different types of vehicle as possible, so automatics are something of an enigma to me. Maybe I am making up the time lost as I am now 34 so really should have been doing this half my life ago, but didn't for various reasons.

I had the choice of an MT or AT licence and wisely choose the former but most young people here go down the AT route, not only women. I asked my brother in law about this and he said that ATs are the norm because of the narrow, overcrowded nature of the country yet most European countries are geographically smaller than Japan, and MT is the standard choice in those places, the UK included.

Anyway, so in this market everything comes as standard with AT, from the tiniest, cheapest K- cars to British and German land yachts. Having driven ATs they are superb in terms of not having to think much, and are perfect for Tokyo driving, especially K- cars, but something is missing somehow. Maybe we are getting lazy these days, and everything must be simplified, reduced down to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Thus people think you are mad if you own an MT here, asking silly questions like doesn't your left leg get tired, or do you stall the engine at every turn. No and No is my usual reply....
      Last edited by Richard.John; 05-09-2008, 23:47.

Comment

Automatics are really good for city driving and people that do huge mileage in a year. Personally I reckon these twin clutch systems that VAG, Porsche etc are using now are the future. OK there is a weight penalty but it's a better auto than an auto and a faster manual than a normal box.

Comment

Aren't they just autos though. I mean most will leave them in D and be done with it. My experience with 'manual' autos is why bother to flip paddles as there isn't a clutch to depress anyway so it all feels a little false. In years to come maybe the traditional manual will fade away, though it would be a shame. The march of progress...
          Last edited by Richard.John; 05-09-2008, 04:27.

Comment

I hate driving an Automatic, would never buy one (health permitting - have a friend with a really bad back who has to drive a Automatic for comfort, every gear change was really painful). Think quite a few people go the Auto route in this country as it's easier to pass the test in an Automatic, could be totally wrong but it's the impression I get.

Plus Automatics are over a grand more expensive than the Manual version of the same car last time I looked (talking lower end of the market). And if the gearbox goes (as is common with A-Classes and the like so I read), can be really expensive to replace.

Thanks for the petrol price by the way, works out Unleaded is about 15% more expensive here.

Comment

I do drive an auto from time to time and I can't say it bothers me at all. Always feel an urge to left foot brake when I'm driving an auto for some reason.
              My Mum has a Honda Jazz with a CVT box which has a 7 speed option with paddles which I reckon she has never used but I tend to play with when I drive it.

I don't think manual gears will fade away for a while yet. They are cheaper and lighter than the alternatives so have some green credentials and will probably linger on at the lower end of the market for long time.

Apparently Ferrari, Lambo, Aston Martin and Bentley all sell far more self or assisted shifting gearboxes than manual versions. I think that the new PDK system will quickly surpass the already substantial chunk of Porsche sales that previously had the Tiptronic box.

Regarding the A Class gearbox that's what happened to my Mum's A Class. The final bill was more than the car was worth! But the MB mechanics seemed to have misdiagnosed the problem and changed a far few parts before the box was replaced. They eventually settled on just the cost of the new box which IIRC was about £1400!

Comment

It's clearly easier to pass a test in an auto vs a manual. No chance of stalling hill starts or slow/reverse manoeuvres equals more chance of passing surely. There must be a reason why the licence is restricted, though any man who opts for such should grow a pair in my opinion and get on with it. Of course disability may preclude that route.

That brings me on to pet hates about driving. People who just refuse to look when coming out of side roads is one and tailgating another.

The latter is particularly moronic in my opinion, and plain dangerous. I think for many it's intimidation or just a way to pass the time, as in let's piss off the guy in front by sitting on his bumper and making him sweat because he can't see if it safe to change lanes (to get out of the way) because my fat arse truck is filling his mirrors.

People like that deserve a medal

Comment

Richard you need a day driving around Ilford (East London where I work), swear 50% of the people on the road don't have a licence/got a friend to take it for them. Some seriously scary stuff each and every day.

Comment

People in a hurry (often for no reason) are the worst. It's them that tailgate, it's them that don't do proper obs when leaving junctions. It's them that sat behind me beeping at a crossroads last night as they were expecting me to turn left as they were and there was nothing coming that way, there was traffic coming from the left though and I wanted to go straight over so had to wait. Was looking in my mirror and saw him (and heard him) shouting abuse too. I gave him the finger as I drove off!

Lovely drive in to work this morning, hardly any traffic on my lovely back roads and sideways three times. I think I should stop that habit before I end up in a hedge!

Comment

Well in the days before photo licences, that's what people did I think, bunged their mate 50 quid to take it for them. Damn, I should have done the same back in the day. I just don't get tailgating at all, I mean it's dangerous and a form of bullying. Why it's necessary to sit on someones bumper at 100 kph is beyond me. In my case I was in the centre lane so why he didn't just move into the right lane I will never know. Fair enough, if I was in the right passing lane, going slowly, obstructing the flow that would be one thing but I wasn't. Dickheads and their toys, in his case a truck.

Comment

Was driving the 2L NA Legacy round France all week (lovely lovely drive - and total comfort after 5 hours), so when I went to the pick up some curry last night in the impreza I was conditioned to the different power so got it sideways on the power coming out of a roundabout. Hilarious. All 4 wheels spinning up.

I'm with you on the tailgating. Why do big vans think it's ok to sit inches from you just because they can see over the top?

Fastest road car I've been in was a Sierra XR4x4. As standard, it was 145PS, 228Nm and a useful 0-60mph in 8.2 seconds. However, with the lightweight fibreglass KAT panel conversion and pre-cosworth cosworth spoiler (1 off) and twin piggy back Turbo Technics conversion (and the adjustable suspension and brakes to match), it did a nifty 550bhp and 600torques. Rocking. Leaded only, so it had to go.

Comment

That sounds ludicrous and must have been so gutting to know you (they) couldn't use it again once the leaded fuel ran out.

Mate of mine's just sold a Legacy, was the 2.5 litre though, very accomplished car, dog ugly though, really terrible, two-tone paint too! He also has a Impreza wagon similar to yours Charles.

Was back at the dealer to look at my wobble again today, annoyingly, it didn't seem to do it at all when we took it for a spin, got it up on the ramp though and certainly didn't see anything bent. If there is anything slightly out it was probably being accentuated by the wheels being out of balance, seems to have all but gone now. Time will tell I guess.

This time next week I'll be driving around the Italian lakes in a different 2 seater convertible, can't wait.

Comment

It was sold to someone who converted it at vast expense. Didn't seem worth it, but he was a sierra enthusiast, so good on him.

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair View Post
                              This time next week I'll be driving around the Italian lakes in a different 2 seater convertible, can't wait.

World exclusive Ferrari California test drive? Here hoping eh! Enjoy.

Sad but true. I bought a pair of driving gloves yesterday so does that make me a tit? Probably but nice and fresh, no sweaty palms and dirty wheel and shifter.
                              Last edited by Richard.John; 09-09-2008, 00:56.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                                It was sold to someone who converted it at vast expense. Didn't seem worth it, but he was a sierra enthusiast, so good on him.
                                To be fair back in the day there was a lot of scare mongering about unleaded petrol, but the reality is a new set of hardened valve seats would be all that was required, and that's worse case scenario.

A biggish job, but not too bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X