No announcement yet.

Broadband Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know the current Virgin price for 20 meg? I downgraded last year to the 10meg but want to go back up.

I hate Virgin's speed capping (5pm to 9pm I think) and their service has gone downhill since the Telewest days but I'm not sure who I would change to.

Comment

O2 broadband i got i switched from BeThere when their policy changed with fair usage.... Being that O2 now owns BeThere i migrated easily and now theres no capping.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
        Does anyone know the current Virgin price for 20 meg? I downgraded last year to the 10meg but want to go back up.

I hate Virgin's speed capping (5pm to 9pm I think) and their service has gone downhill since the Telewest days but I'm not sure who I would change to.
        Same here, the service isn't as good as the NTL days but its still pretty good and i've never had any connection problems so its hard to take the risk and switch to someone else.

Comment

Oh they were the best in the Telewest/Blueyonder days. They were a bit more expensive than ASDL providers, but of superior quality because, being cable, if you paid for 20Mbit, you got 20Mbit, and they didn't do any of the nonsense capping or throttling tha many ASDL providers did.

Then Virgin bought them. And just like when Virgin bought the train service, it all went downhill.

Comment

Just looking at this thread I think I might go with o2 broadband as I have o2 mobile to save money. Do you have to have a BT line? I'm moving house and wasn't gonna bother with a landline as I was just gonna use my mobile.

Comment

One thing to watch with O2 Broadband (I was tempted to sign up a month or so back because it would have been cheaper and did a bit of research via Think Broadband) is that they're running a two-tier system.

If you're in an O2 Broadband network area then you're golden. If you aren't they'll chuck you on the Access package and apparently it's rubbish with no end of problems re:- disconnects and speeds.

Comment

OK Cheers.

Isn't this ADSL which means having to pay BT £12odd a month for phone line rental charges?

I'm looking to get just broadband without phone line rental costs. Even with virgin media you have to have a phone line and I don't want their TV service as I'll be getting Freesat HD.

Edit: Yeah you do. Thought so.
                Last edited by MarioMark; 12-04-2009, 19:38.

Comment

Finally got broadband up and running in my new house. I went with o2 and it's great, so thanks for the advice. The BT line in my region only lets me have the lower service which is 8Meg (but only lets me get 6 on this line ), but it's still better than Virgin Media from when I was at my parents house and there's no limits!

Comment

I have been using Vodafone@home (its BT white label without the phorm ****e) for nearly 2 years now and they pretty good £25 inc line rental (if you are a monthly customer) and seem to be uncapped / no throttle - my dl has been around 100gb mth and they have never throttled me.

Comment

I'm with Tiscali, and for some reason I'm getting 8MB for around 6 quid a month. It's rock solid AS LONG as you don't use the USB modem and go for a adsl modem which is connected all of the time. I've got a crappy actiontec wireless modem and the speed is super. Well seeded Torrents will max out my connection easily.

Had a nightmare moving lines/house - and this is really bad. I had my line rental and broadband with tiscali. When I moved (started renting a house) I had to get BT to reconnect the phone line, which meant I had to sign up with them for a year, then cancel my line rental with tiscali and get them to ammend my account details.. It took about 6 phone calls to tiscali to get sorted (and 1 to BT who were excellent).

Make of that what you will.

Comment

Stay away from Plusnet I have been with them a week and have had nothing but problems

Comment

Could anyone please tell me when Virgin's speed capping takes place? I think it used to be 5pm to 9pm?

Comment

Working...
                          X