Learning to play the guitar -advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
    Is there anything similar to what funkydan posted, but in all black?
    Yes, well apart from the white bit. Gear 4 Music - I've recently used them and found them to be reliable.

Comment

I'm bringing this thread back to life!

I've attempted to learn guitar in the past but fate always seems to throw **** in my way and it's never came to anything.

Last week I made the decision that I'm going to do it proper, so I've got hold of a guitar and amp, and armed with my three "learn to play guitar" books and the internet I WILL succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Skull Commander View Post
        I'm bringing this thread back to life!

I've attempted to learn guitar in the past but fate always seems to throw **** in my way and it's never came to anything.

Last week I made the decision that I'm going to do it proper, so I've got hold of a guitar and amp, and armed with my three "learn to play guitar" books and the internet I WILL succeed.
        Good stuff. I took the same approach last october and am slowly getting to grips with it.

Whilst the books and the internet will be a great help and resource, i would suggest trying to play with some mates who may already be accomplished guitar players, or getting yourself a few lessons at some point, as there really is no substitute for having someone sat next to you advising as you go.

Its probably best to get this in early as well in order to avoid picking up bad habits (i was amazed to find i was holding my pick all wrong!) and having to re-learn some things.

Good luck though mate. Keep us posted!

Comment

I have a couple of guitar playing friends, so hopefully I will get some pointers off them. Just been having fun with it so far. Unfortunatly Loki (one of my cats) is **** scared of it so far. Time for some headphones...

Comment

I still maintain people should learn on an acoustic.

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus View Post
              I still maintain people should learn on an acoustic.
              If someone wants to get good, I say start with both. The thing an electric can do is make a cool sound regardless of decent fingering and technique. Get a bit of distortion and you too can sound like Slash.... well, you know what I mean

I had an acoustic for a week or two before moving to electric. These days I play acoustic almost exclusively, but I think the cool distortion really encouraged me to keep trying

You are right though, if you want to get technical, acoustic is the best way to start. Just get a good one, avoid high nasty strings.

Comment

I was given advice by a friend which was learn on whatever you want to play, and make sure you like the look of the guitar you are learning on. In the past I would try and learn on an Acoustic but I want to play heavier music, so it wasn't doing my motivation any good.

Just having the guitar plugged in and mucking about with the settings makes me feel more positive already

Comment

Hijacking this thread a year later, but I recently listened to a few of Bob Dylan's classic songs and it's kind of made me want to try and learn the guitar.

I was thinking about buying an acoustic guitar, when I remembered I already had an old one when I was younger, luckily it was still up in the loft where I left it. In our house we also have 2 electric guitars, but I prefer the simplicity and sound of an acoustic, as well as my old guitar having 3 metal and 3 nylon strings, which I find easier on the fingers than the razor wire on the electric's.

Any tips on where to start? I can still play the start of Enter Sandman, an Eric Clapton tune, and the James Bond theme tune. But I think I should really start to learn with the basic chords right?

Comment

Go for it, Malc!

There are probably loads better guitarists on this board than me, but they'll probably tell you the same thing - have fun!

I started off by learning the chords from Instant Guitar, which has well-known stuff like Happy Birthday and Baa Baa Black Sheep! Then I started learning stuff I wanted to play like Smashing Pumpkins and The Lemonheads.

A really good place to start is probably The Beatles. This Beatles for Easy Guitar book should be ideal! It'll help you not only learn to change chords in time, but also get a sense of rhythm.

I started on a classical guitar my mate gave me, then bought an acoustic and finally an electric.

I enjoy the electric the most and you should consider that too if Enter Sandman's your bag! It's been said on here already, but distortion masks all sorts of mistakes when you're learning, plus the strings are a little easier to press down.

I look forward to hearing your shredding...

Comment

Working...
                    X