No announcement yet.

Olympics 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The opening ceremony was a triumph. Mostly ingenious and engaging. For the two great new Underworld tracks we got out of it, it deserves praise alone. The closing ceremony was vacuous and grotesque. Everyone involved in the closing ceremony should be deeply ashamed. It's as if the organisers actually went out of their way to undo all the good will created in the last two weeks. Utterly shameful.
    Last edited by bcass; 13-08-2012, 17:31.

Comment

Like the others was a bit let down by the closing ceremony. Surprised the Stones weren't included though perhaps they were asked and refused, still, would have been good to hear one of their tunes at least.

Already looking forward to Rio, have decided to try and follow at least one of the minority sports until then.

Comment

I think it was probably quite cool if you were there.

The tunes could have been a lot worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampanman View Post
          Surprised the Stones weren't included though perhaps they were asked and refused, still, would have been good to hear one of their tunes at least.
          Apparently The Stones, Bowie, Kate Bush & Sex Pistols all turned down invites - http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012...?commentpage=2

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
            Who saw the mountain biking? Totally amazing. Very technical course. Especially liking the step ups - they looked super hard.

The fitness of these guys is incredible. As the commentators said, it's not like some wussy road race where you can just get dragged along by the pack - you are basically on your own, twisting and turning so often it's impossible to slipstream. And you can't rest on the downhills because you are being pounded by the terrain. "Heartrate goes to threshold and then stays there for the whole race" << I know that feeling well

The two guys that came first and second are complete heroes. I was so excited in the last laps I had to ban the rest of the family from the lounge. They were chatting over the top of it. By the final couple of minutes the suspense was too much. Never seen such an exciting bike race.

Incredibly the only guy (I spotted anyway) in the field with a full sus won it. Specialized (who made it) must have been going nuts.
            I managed to catch the womens mountain biking and I have to agree it was great and I'm glad I watched it. The track was a beast...not sure I could do just one lap without the fear of potential death!
            Did the guys so the same number of laps (6) as the women? I hear the track is open to the public now the Olympics is over, would be awesome to try out the same course as these guys.

Comment

A bit late, but did anybody see the Canoe Slalom events at Lee Valley White Water Centre?

I'd love to go Toobin' there!

Comment

Not sure how I missed that. Enjoyed it in Beijing.

Comment

Originally posted by Fader209 View Post
                  I managed to catch the womens mountain biking and I have to agree it was great and I'm glad I watched it. The track was a beast...not sure I could do just one lap without the fear of potential death!
                  Did the guys so the same number of laps (6) as the women? I hear the track is open to the public now the Olympics is over, would be awesome to try out the same course as these guys.
                  Yeah, 6 laps. They are taking out the two rock sections though for the public Dullards.

Comment

Closing ceromony was ace! My highlights included seeing the spice girls holding onto zimmer frames while nearly getting thrown off the top of taxis. the very cool Brian may doing his best impression of doc brown from back to the future "Marty we gotta do something about your kids" but the best bit was John lennons exploding
                    Cardboard head
                    Last edited by Lebowski; 14-08-2012, 15:43.

Comment

I saw that spain v france basketball game,

Basically spain were diving and pretending to be injured like footballers, and the french had enough,The punch to the groin was funny and deserved after all the play acting.

Comment

So just watched the news, so the legacy is going to be in place is it? , the article said school's had to keep 5000 sq m as outdoor space, now the government is changing that to suitable space, a word WTF, expect more selling of school land.

Comment

Breathtaking 5000m wheelchair this evening. Facinating racing. And 40mph across the line.

Comment

After all the hype about the wheelchair rugby in the paralympics it turns out to be just as ****e as normal rugby . Boring as hell & no skill needed, nothing like wheelchair basketball which is pretty exciting to watch

Comment

Working...
                            X