Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clinical testing....anyone ever done it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where can you register?

Comment

If you suck on the pill and it tastes sweet, surely thats the placeabo no? I'd want to know, I don't want to act like a fool and spout side effects that don't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
        My wife works in Clinical Testing, do it, it keeps her in a job and me in the life of luxury.

However, when you next go for any sort of life insurance you will have to declare this, expect to be turned down flat, huge premium or have an general exclusion that basically invalidates any claim you can think of putting in.

A real desperate case would go for this, but someone with a bit of nouce? Madness.

I read that as Nonce. That would surely be a good use for them, rather than sticking them in overcrowded prisons. I had another idea that we could wire them up to a virtual reality world and use their bio energy to tackle climate change, but thats a tad off topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Fei Fong Wong View Post
          [*]What previous tests have been done? i.e. simulations? animal testing? previous human trials?
          It was my understanding that those phases had to be done before it got anywhere near human trial.

I'd personally not want to do this, but something that strikes me is that, without these trials, prescribed drugs would be far more dangerous than they already are/can be - so actually, I'm glad there are people out there prepared to do this stuff.

Comment

Of course animal testing really proves very little in terms of how safe things are for humans. What could have no effect whatsoever on animals could kill you in an instant. That thing last year, the really famous one where people were screaming with agony moments after taking the drug, passed all animals test previously.

Comment

My brother (who's in his final year of a bio-chemestry degree) tells me that the drug would have gone through at least 5 years of testing including animal testing before being allowed use for human testing, which is preformed in phases III and IV of testing (as stated earlier IV being the less risk.)

He also reminded me that this kind of money is nothing to drug companies and such tests happen on a daily basis, so it's not as if they're overpaying for such services. It only gets into the news when something goes wrong, which recently I think only happened once, so you'd be perfectly safe. My brother says he'd do it for that kind of money.

My only concern as noted by myself and others earlier would be insurance implications and I would talk to insurance companies even if you don't have a policy yet to see how this would effect your premiums/ acceptability.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoraths mullet View Post
                Of course animal testing really proves very little in terms of how safe things are for humans. .
                and Vice Versa, I tested the effect of Salt on the skin for a Slug run pharmaceutical, it was fine on me but OMG how I wish for the silence of the slugs now!

My brother in law works for a pharma and he's sold blood to be used in testing but said there was no way he'd be gobbling the blue pill

If it was safe why wouldn't they self test? surely it would be quicker and easier just like the Goblin in Spiderman II when he needed a quick fix, look how that ended!
                Last edited by Spagoli; 19-04-2007, 08:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Spagoli View Post
                  If it was safe why wouldn't they self test? surely it would be quicker and easier just like the Goblin in Spiderman II when he needed a quick fix, look how that ended!
                  They need a sample of the general population, not just one or two people, and as mentioned earlier these kind of tests are done on a daily basis. As safe as these drugs might be, it would be considerably unwise to pop 7 different kinds of experemental drugs a week, and you wouldn't be able to tell what drugs had what effect positive or negative.

Besides, even comic books show if you test these things on your self things go bad (Goblin, Ultimate Hulk), but when tested on others things go well. (Captain America)

Comment

Where did you find out about the tests? I want an Intel G5

Comment

Heard an advert on Kiss this morning for what I'm 99% sure is the same thing ..

It's a RSV development drug test, two weeks in isolation blah blah, being run by people at Guys Hospital, no mention of money. Put the number in my mobile then heard the bit about you can't take part if you are on any medication or suffer from hayfever (which I do mildly). You go to an appointment, have a blood test, and if all OK you can do it ..... think you have to be between 18 and 40 also.

RSV by the way is a drug to try and prevent Respriatory, chest infections etc, only really caught my ear as my son had a RSV jab each winter for the first three years of his life as he was very premature and has weak lungs, is ashmatic.

Comment

Yup, that be the very one, have to goto guys hospital to have my chest xray done, on the same day im having my physical. looking forward to it really, goo money for 2 weeks work!!

aaron

Comment

RSV infections kill babies so I am all for this sort of research. As some of you may remember my duaghter nearly died as a result of an rsv bronchiolitis infection back in 05. I know Mr Holliss has direct experience of it too.

When I was at Cardiff University I did something like this frequently, but only on a daily basis, it involved spending the day in the "common cold centre" after taking some pills, and having regular tests and that. They had a playstation there (this was back in 98), but the only game they had was Cardinal Syn. I think I just read magazines and watched bit telly.

Comment

Don't do it.

And look at it this way; there's got to be a reason why they're offering you that much money...

Comment

My girlf did clinical trials all through uni and for about a year after - she made quite a few thousand quid all told, but she volunteered for the hardcore "live in hospital for a month"-type ones were they take stool samples and you sit with a cannula in your arm all day. Tbh, if I hadn't failed the physical (I was informed of a minor heart problem that I'd never been aware of - cheers!) I'd have been sat there with her zonked out on some new tranq all day too.

It's always amusing, though, in the disclaimer that you sign (which is legally about as watertight as a Sri Lankan ferry) that there's always the stipulation YOU MAY DIE bold as brass in uppercase.

Here's the one I went for:

Also another one in the Queen's Medical Centre in Nottingham - think it may have been something to do with SmithKline Beecham. My girlf did hers through a company in Leicester. I've forgotten what they were called but I know they paid a lot more than either of the ones I went for above and were involved mainly with painkiller and tranq trials (ftw, tbh).
                              Last edited by anephric; 01-05-2007, 13:58.

Comment

Could they have picked any uglier nurses to be on the webpage?

Comment

Working...
                                X