Learning to drive...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
    You watch a video and have to press a button whenever you either spot a hazard or an existing hazard gets worse. It's incredibly vague
    Indeed, its such a pain in the arse (and such a waste of everyones time), you cant click too much, you cant click too little.

When i did mine, i got a 0 on one of the hazard perception sections as i only clicked it a few times (there just wernt any hazards in it). Out of a point, i demanded the section reviewed there and then and my section mark re-evaluated. Which of course they had to do as i was creating quite a lot of fuss by that stage.

Turned out that i had passed the theory anyway even getting a 0 on that section, however i got better marks with the re evaluated bit.

Fishbowlhead: constantly challenging the system and winning

Comment

Thanks for all the info there guys

I was thinking going with AA myself as a first choice, and the positive reviews of them here so to speak make me think it is a sensible choice.

Thanks also for all the practical test tips too.

I think my main concern is that it's quite a daunting thing - seems like a lot to take in, and the fact I've left it a bit late (just turned 29). Can you teach an old dog new tricks?

Comment

another here who learned with an independant and it was tip top and probably much cheaper

?7.50 a lesson

only had nine and the test and passed

Comment

Plus practicing in your parents' car I would assume.

I'll be getting back behind the wheel sometime this year. Hopefully driving in Canada will be a little easier. Apart from having to dodge all the oncoming traffic.
          They all drive on the wrong side!

Comment

Originally posted by Friction View Post
            I think my main concern is that it's quite a daunting thing - seems like a lot to take in, and the fact I've left it a bit late (just turned 29). Can you teach an old dog new tricks?
            I dunno about leaving it late really, it just might seem that way due to younger people being overly eager to get behind the wheel these days. Regarding it being daunting, well yes it is a little... but you'll get over it quick enough (and so will I I hope ). Just look at some of the idiots you find behind the wheel of a car out there, and think to yourself: '...Well if that prat managed to get a driving license, I'll have no problem'.

Comment

I'm 28 and have never felt the need to drive but I'm at the stage in my career where being more mobile would definitely open a few doors, so to speak.

I'm applying for my provisional sometime in the next week or so and have started looking for a decent instructor. Are any of the big ones like AA, BSM any good or is it betwe to go for one of the smaller independents?

Comment

Like Neko I also learned with AA and took my lessons in two-hour blocks. I dunno where this stuff about pushing for extra lessons is coming from. My instructor told my after my first lesson how good he thought I was and how many lessons it should take and updated that in subsequent lessons (it never went up!). Plus if you think they're taking the mick there is no obligation to buy any further lessons.

On the independent side I have a mate at work who is currently learning and his independent instructor is dicking him around big style and will give no indication of when he will get to test (obviously my mate's fault he won't do anything about it despite the whole office telling him the instructor is taking the piss). Think about it, the big school guys probably get tons of leads from 'head office' so there's not as much necessity for them to cling on to one student.

Can't help much on the theory side as it was only 30 questions when I took it. Got 29/30 after about 2 hours revision, mainly on stopping distances. Typical question:

Q: A ball bounces into the road from between a gap in parked cars. Do you:

A: Accelerate. You don't want the car to get damaged.
                B: Swerve wildly into the opposite site of the road.
                C: Slow down and prepare to stop. There could be children playing near by.
                D: Get out of the car blocking the whole road and take your emergency triangle to block the road on the opposite side of the ball. Also call the police. This is a major hazard.

Comment

I had a load of lessons with BSm but I found their call centre/ shop staff to be very very pushy and unhelpful.

My independent one was much better and I wish I'd of gone with him from the start as not only did he do a better job but I'd rather my cash went to him than a big corperation. Especially as there was no difference in cost

Comment

I learned to drive with BSM and StuM82 said, there was less risk in the sense that they have loads of students and so won't feel the need to bleed you dry. Being a franchise operation, they will be more expensive than an independent instructor, but that's probably offset by not being pushed for so many lessons. I remember during my last few weeks before I passed, I wanted a few extra lessons to calm my nerves (really didn't need them, in retrospect), and my instructor really tried to disuade me from them.

The other good thing is that because they are a large organisation, should you not click with your instructor, you can simply tell them so and they'll provide you with somebody else.

Totally agree with the comment of BSM office staff being unhelpful and pushy. They'll try to sell you stuff like block booking lessons for discounts, and pass promise schemes with refunds if you fail. Once you get over that initial stage with them, just deal directly with your instructor.

Comment

Working...
                    X