No announcement yet.

What can 1p buy you these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got charged 1p for a carrier bag in WH Smiths at the weekend!

Comment

there's really no point in charging 1p for a carrier bag other than PR. The wages for the time spent asking if someone wants a carrier bag and adding it costs more than the 1p

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
        there's really no point in charging 1p for a carrier bag other than PR. The wages for the time spent asking if someone wants a carrier bag and adding it costs more than the 1p
        But they are jus giving it away in the end....... atleast you get 1p back right?

Comment

Originally posted by 112 View Post
          But they are jus giving it away in the end....... atleast you get 1p back right?

No, I paid 1p

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisField View Post
            No, I paid 1p
            I was answering abigsmurf's question about the point about charging for a plastic bag.

But now that you mention it......... couldn't you have folded the mag up and tucked it under your arm and marched back to work? Could have saved yahself a penny and the environment lol.........

Comment

LOL unfortunately I was buying loads of Birthday Cards, chocolate (was on offer ), as well as magazines. One of them was for wifey so didn't want people thinking I was into "Red" magazine or anything.

Comment

There's all sorts of rubbish about saving the environment.

Fun fact: it's worse for the environment recycling paper than throwing it away. Paper is almost always made using sustainable forests where they plant trees for every one they cut down and this uses a lot less energy than collecting, washing, processing paper to make low grade recycled paper. Paper is biodegradable to so it's one of the least bad things to have in landfill.

Comment

Would be more useful to go back to glass bottles or cardboard cartons than having these horrid plastic bottles for milk.
                  But anyway, I often have to repeat myself numerous times to certain shops around here that I don't want a bag for my one or two items thanks. Apparently I have 2 heads and have just landed from outer space. Unlike my housemate who turned up home with a full size carrier bag containing 2 packs of fags and a pint of milk.

Comment

http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/285314.html

Comment

Some idiot has just fallen for this! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20p-Coin-No-Da...3A1%7C294%3A50

There's no date on the head side anyway! He paid over a fiver for a normal 20p coin.

Comment

LOL aren't the special ones the ones with no date on the tails side?

Comment

a penny for your thoughts

Comment

Hmm a penny will get you a pretty low grade handy J at the local rub a tug shop. Recession & all that

Comment

I bought two or three MegaDrive games from a Gamestation last year for a penny each. If memory serves, it was Altered Beast, Another World and Quackshot.

Comment

Originally posted by vertigo
                                The fans bought Brentford FC for 2 quid a few years back (including ~?10m of debt but that's our version of airport tax).
                                Up the Bees!

Comment

Working...
                                X