No announcement yet.

Defence spending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And besides, we're all being naive here. Our puny weapons will be as effective as pea shooters in the face of the tyrannical lizard elite that's poised to enslave mankind any time now. 2012 isn't it?

Comment

I, for one, welcome our new lizard overlords

Comment

They're already here, and they aren't lizards. They're just depicted as being lizards because they lie and deceive.

I'd like to think they aren't stupid enough to start nuclear war/M.A.D over resources although I'm pretty sure it's all happened before at some point, but now I'm derailing as always.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
            They're already here, and they aren't lizards. They're just depicted as being lizards because they lie and deceive.
            So you're saying David Icke's wrong? Now I don't know what to believe anymore

Comment

Originally posted by averybluemonkey View Post
              China and India are such economic powerhouses that given a couple of decades I strongly doubt they would be very worried about our small little island.

When we can't even afford to police our own streets (not to mention the dire state of higher education funding - something which actually helps bring money into the country ) I can't help but think military spending should be the least of our concerns.
              Maybe if this country stopped giving so much Abroad and spend it on Britain its self , that would help . We're a country that like to give millions in Aid for African dictators to spend on arming their own Army (while penny pinching with our own) A country that loves to give the likes of India money , for them to spend on making a bomb , or giving money to China , for them to become more Green

With so many nutter in the World , we'll need our Armed Forces more than ever , and its about time , this country looked after our Brave Men and Women , and spend British tax payers money on Great Britain its self

Comment

For the love of god, Dave, scrap the bloody Trident system! I don't know why they're bothering with it really as if the whole world went to **** and everyone was launching nukes it would hardly matter if we had ICBMs or not.

I think Tomahawks equipped with nuclear warheads would be a perfectly adequate deterrent since they could be launched from subs, surface ships or planes. Downside is they could potentially be shot down, unlike Trident.

Soo much stuff to talk about in the defence review I don't know where to start. I don't understand the fuss over losing some of the equipment where it no longer serves a real purpose, i.e. some of the surface ships and tanks, etc.

Sensible decision to buy the F-35C tailhook variant instead of the V/STOL F-35B which is more complicated and expensive. I don't know how they'll do this as catapults aren't currently designed into the carriers. Might use an electrically driven catapult the Americans are developing.
                Last edited by NW2013; 19-10-2010, 18:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                  Maybe if this country stopped giving so much Abroad and spend it on Britain its self , that would help . We're a country that like to give millions in Aid for African dictators to spend on arming their own Army (while penny pinching with our own)
                  Who do you think many of them buy their weapons from? In many cases its us, thereby using aid packages to prop up UK industry. We are one of the biggest arms dealers in the world. It's common practice for governments to give aid with the requirement that it is used to buy products from the donating country. Right after the USA blocked the sale of cheap, generic AIDs drugs to Africa, for example, they made a sizable donation which looked great in the press. Except that it could only be used to buy from American pharmaceutical companies at exhorbitant prices leaving the countries with a reduced stockpile in comparison to what it would have had anyway.

With so many nutter in the World , we'll need our Armed Forces more than ever , and its about time , this country looked after our Brave Men and Women , and spend British tax payers money on Great Britain its self
                  Armed forces won't save us from terrorism, operating a foreign policy that doesn't aggravate so much of the world's population would be a far more proactive stance. You don't have to be that brave to serve in the armed forces when you're going up against adversaries with far less technology and greatly reduced resources. These aren't the same kind of people who signed up to fight back in WW2, many of them do it for the wrong reasons. I've known both family members and various acquaintances over the years who have served in the forces and I can tell you there's a not insignificant number of people serving in the army who are nasty, ignorant scum serving. The idea of people putting weapons in some of these guys hands genuinely frightens me.

Frankly I've never got this patriotic furor thing, Britain is a country where I was born, it's a geographical location, nothing more. We are no better than most the other nations out there when you look beneath the spin and PR and see the real facts.
                  Last edited by averybluemonkey; 19-10-2010, 18:15.

Comment

operating a foreign policy that doesn't aggravate so much of the world's population would be a far more proactive stance.
                    That or just wiping everyone else out in one fell swoop. Whichever is handiest.

Comment

Who do you think many of them buy their weapons from? In many cases its us, thereby using aid packages to prop up UK industry. We are one of the biggest arms dealers in the world. It's common practice for governments to give aid with the requirement that it is used to buy products from the donating country. Right after the USA blocked the sale of cheap, generic AIDs drugs to Africa, for example, they made a sizable donation which looked great in the press. Except that it could only be used to buy from American pharmaceutical companies at exhorbitant prices leaving the countries with a reduced stockpile in comparison to what it would have had anyway.

Armed forces won't save us from terrorism, operating a foreign policy that doesn't aggravate so much of the world's population would be a far more proactive stance. You don't have to be that brave to serve in the armed forces when you're going up against adversaries with far less technology and greatly reduced resources. These aren't the same kind of people who signed up to fight back in WW2, many of them do it for the wrong reasons. I've known both family members and various acquaintances over the years who have served in the forces and I can tell you there's a not insignificant number of people serving in the army who are nasty, ignorant scum serving. The idea of people putting weapons in some of these guys hands genuinely frightens me.

Frankly I've never got this patriotic furor thing, Britain is a country where I was born, it's a geographical location, nothing more. We are no better than most the other nations out there when you look beneath the spin and PR and see the real facts.
                      My hat is off and I am standing and appluding. Especially the paragraph about arms and the illusion of free aid.

Comment

Maybe if this country stopped giving so much Abroad and spend it on Britain its self , that would help . We're a country that like to give millions in Aid for African dictators to spend on arming their own Army (while penny pinching with our own)
                        Many a tyrant and rogue state was once armed and funded by Britain/USA. It usually involves distablising a country to gain its resources.

Watch to the end. The world is a business!
                        Last edited by 'Press Start'; 20-10-2010, 22:34.

Comment

Working...
                        X