No announcement yet.

iPhone thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been told that we (CPW) will be credit checking and signing people up in store rather than it being done through iTunes. I would imagine it won't be long until there's software to unlock the new firmware, but you'll still be tied to a contract with O2.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
      I've been told that we (CPW) will be credit checking and signing people up in store rather than it being done through iTunes. I would imagine it won't be long until there's software to unlock the new firmware, but you'll still be tied to a contract with O2.
      I'll still probably pick up an iPhone 3G, but I'm a little less enthusiastic about it now, tbh. Also hearing that online selling of iPhone 3G may be delayed, so there may be truth in this.

Comment

If you go on the O2 website, there's a place to enter your details if you're an existing iPhone user and wish to upgrade to the 3G one. From what it sounds like, there will be an option to buy online through O2 but I imagine they'll send the phone with a connection already activated like the rest of their mobiles.

Cannot wait for this though I do feel slightly peeved off that as one of the early adopters of the first iPhone, I think of myself as a beta tester for this 3G one. Roll on 11th of July!

Comment

At least there will be loads of original cheap used iphone's knocking about for us non "beta-testers"

Comment

As Taka sort of said, upgrade info on the o2 site, they are keen to tie you in to their contracts for obvious reasons.

Discover Apple iPhone. Shop the newest iPhones alongside our best pay monthly and pay as you go deals. Plus, enjoy exclusive O2 rewards. Available now with O2.

Comment

It seems like Apple has failed to change the mobile phone market in that it has conceded it can't control how it distributes the phones or sign enough carriers up to revenue sharing deals.

While not confirmed it looks like iTunes activation is out and power is shifted back to the networks. It doesn't look like you will be able to purchase them from Apple stores at all in fact (retail or online). Therefore I'd expect no contract price phones (which are obviously subsidised by the networks) to make it easily on to other carriers through unlocking now. It may be easy to unlock them still (the 2.0 beta firmware can be unlocked at present) but you're not going to be able to excape signing up to a contract at those £99 and £159 handset prices when your only option to purchase is 02 and CPW stores.

02 are doing a PAYG option though so an unlocked phone at a higher price point is looking like still an option. 02 haven't confirmed the PAYG price yet but I'd bet on the 1st generation price points or thereabouts.

Comment

Originally posted by Fei Fong Wong View Post
                02 are doing a PAYG option though so an unlocked phone at a higher price point is looking like still an option. 02 haven't confirmed the PAYG price yet but I'd bet on the 1st generation price points or thereabouts.
                Agreed, though I'm not sure that a higher pricepoint for a PAYG iPhone 3G would stop it from flying off the shelves like hotcakes.

For those who want to unlock, this may be the way to go (obviously). But it remains to be seen just if and/or how O2 are going to execute this.
                Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 11-06-2008, 13:30.

Comment

My current phone contract runs out in a week or so and i've been thinking of picking up the new iphone.

Whilst searching for anatomy stuff on the web I just stumbled across this video on youtube of a medial application for the iphone, which for me being a medical student is simply awesome! Probably not the reason why most people buy an iphone but hey.....SOLD!

Medical Application for the iphone
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcQM_vEyR5M

Comment

Why so expensive ?

Comment

Mmmm, unopened and unlocked. Even at that still not worth it. I think I'll be lucky to get £80 for my 2.5G iPhone when it comes to upgrade time.

Comment

That's what I'm hoping, don't mind being a generation behind if I can save some serious money

Comment

I was planning on selling mine once I upgraded but I ended up dropping it on concrete today. Now has a lovely dent and scratch on the top left corner. Will be lucky to get anything for it now!

Comment

So has anyone got the new 3G iPhone yet? (If there in stores yet of course) what are they like in comparison, battery wise and what's the GPS like?

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                              So has anyone got the new 3G iPhone yet? (If there in stores yet of course)
                              Not out until 11th July matey.

Comment

Hey Guys,

Well I?ve pretty much decided I?m getting an iphone but I would really like some help in regards to what to get, what it can do and basically what?s hot and what?s not.

Just so you know, I only own a ipod shuffle so forgive me for my na?ve questions....

1. Can I play any of my mp3?s on the phone or do they have to be converted to a format that it recognises?

2. Which applications would you recommend?

3. Can It play movies? (avi files,divx, etc)

4. Games?

5. How much does data cost, like surfing websites and using sat nav (does it have sat nav?)

6. Which ear phones and case would you recommend?

Thanks for any and all replies!

Comment

Working...
                                X