Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This scrappage scheme, there's something dodgy about it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're all missing the point that the scrappage scheme has nothing to do with being eco or green and everything to do with desperately trying to boost the ruined UK car businesses and trying to save the economy.

The government just want to get money moving again. I'm sure no consideration was taken into the ecological effects of actually scrapping a car and building a new one Vs keeping an old one going for another 10 years. There are some real travesties going to the scrap heap in the sky apparently, things like mint 205 gti's etc that are getting rare and collectable now all gone forever, not even broken for parts.

I don't think it's even really boosted sales for most manufacturers either. The ones that are getting better sales are the makers of cheap boxes with long warranties, Proton, Kia, Hyundai etc.

In summary, I don't think much of the scrappage scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair View Post
      You're all missing the point that the scrappage scheme has nothing to do with being eco or green and everything to do with desperately trying to boost the ruined UK car businesses and trying to save the economy.
      yeah i think we all know that, but there were reasons why cars being 10 years old where specifically targetted and its all about the governments carbon emissions plan

for example i think my VW emits around 192 carbon per mile, whereas the new one does it in around 138 or something

prior to this cash crisis they've always been trying to get older cars off the road, the over £400 road tax plan for next year was enuogh to sway me

i personally wouldn't use it either unless i had an old banger than wasn't worth a feck

**edit**
      people dont choose to drive around in bangers (unless its a collectable or sports car), people always want the best they can afford and generally people cant afford to spend £6000+ on a low spec brand new car, it hasn't worked because even though people are getting more money for their old car, they would still have to stump up around £4000 to get the cheap nice new car from the forecourt, which is alot these days
      Last edited by buster_broon; 13-08-2009, 13:42.

Comment

Also, if all the cheap cars get traded in and crushed, what are new drivers supposed to do? Get a massive finance agreement just so they can afford to get some wheels.

The carbon emissions is pretty short sighted though, what if I scrap a 1litre fiesta and get a 2.5litre BMW or similar, more carbon (not that I know the figures) massive energy (carbon) used to manufacture and energy (carbon) used to crush/scrap. Does the planet benefit in the long run? Maybe, I'm not convinced though and it certainly doesn't in the short term.

Comment

Also, if all the cheap cars get traded in and crushed, what are new drivers supposed to do? Get a massive finance agreement just so they can afford to get some wheels.

The carbon emissions is pretty short sighted though, what if I scrap a 1litre fiesta and get a 2.5litre BMW or similar, more carbon (not that I know the figures) massive energy (carbon) used to manufacture and energy (carbon) used to crush/scrap. Does the planet benefit in the long run? Maybe, I'm not convinced though and it certainly doesn't in the short term.
          probably find a modern car is pretty good on the emissions whereas the older cars spew them like crazy

just newer tech and engineering

but the finance thing is a shocker, but that will also boost the financial sector as well i guess, thats if they accept you as a customer. I think its generally black horse who deal with car finance and its not that brilliant

Comment

There are some real transvestites going to the scrap heap in the sky apparently
            That can't be right?!

Comment

Dan making public how his warped mind works again there!

Comment

I don't think it's even really boosted sales for most manufacturers either. The ones that are getting better sales are the makers of cheap boxes with long warranties, Proton, Kia, Hyundai etc.

Surprisingly enough Ford have had the most orders and they are anything but cheap.

Comment

Fair enough, didn't know that.

Comment

Fair enough, didn't know that.

I actually thought the same as yourself regarding the cheaper made cars.I have been in a few showrooms myself as i have a 15 year old volvo and in one showroom they had Peugeot,Citroen and Kia.

The salesman was telling me that he had 40 orders for the Kia Picanto all through scrappage waiting for the cars to arrive next month.

Comment

You have to consider that Ford are a top seller regardless, so their scrappage figures will naturally be very high.

It doesn't actually say what the percentage increase is for Ford compared to before the scheme, which would be more interesting.

For example Hyundai had a 91% increase in new car sales for June and the lowly Kia 60% - I suspect Ford are well below that, something like 30%

Comment

Working...
                      X