Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Vampire books? (for the missus for xmas)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Vampire books? (for the missus for xmas)

My girlfriend loves vampire films and stuff. She recently just finished the Twilight book series and she loved it. Looking to get her a good vampire book as a stocking filler for xmas. Anyone recommend any?

Thanks

True Blood is meant to be decent, but I havent read them. The Twilight fans seem to like them though.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
      True Blood is meant to be decent, but I havent read them. The Twilight fans seem to like them though.
      Better than the series? She's watching that on the TV.

Comment

Anne Rice's vampire chronicles are usually popular. Not sure which book to start with though.

Comment

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Comment

Let The Right One In?

My wife has read all of the Sookie Stackhouse books and enjoyed them thoroughly. She says that lots of the more sexual elements of the TV series are missing and Lafayette's character is far less prominent.

Edit: recommending something that isn't OTT melodrama or a bizarre fantasy of the author is surprisingly problematic. Has anybody read Salem's Lot? I don't usually read Stephen King but I enjoyed the film many years ago.

Oh, and Dracula. Probably worth a read if your girlfriend is getting into vampire stories.
            Last edited by Decider-VT; 02-12-2009, 16:37.

Comment

Thanks guys. I've just bought The Historian and I found them Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles in an all in one paperback. Reckon she'd like that as she loved Interview with the Vampire. Plus them books seemed to get good reviews from people on Amazon.

Also, bought the book of I Am Legend which is meant to be really good.

We both watched Let The Right One In recently. Excellent film.

Thanks

Do post more recommendations if you got 'em

Comment

Originally posted by Decider-VT View Post
                Let The Right One In?
                HUGE thumbs up. Doesn't draw much of a parallel with Twilight though.

Comment

Fevre Dream by George R R Martin is a good vampire story, just don't expect a soppy romantic side to it.

Comment

MY wife loved Twlight and she keeps annoying me to read Bitten by Kelly Armstong, it's not a vamp book but about werewolves, specifically the only female werewolf in the world. Something a bit different I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Decider-VT View Post
                      recommending something that isn't OTT melodrama or a bizarre fantasy of the author is surprisingly problematic. Has anybody read Salem's Lot? I don't usually read Stephen King but I enjoyed the film many years ago.
                      Salem's Lot is brilliant. Proper spooky stuff in places. A Twilight fan isn't going to like it but that's their fault rather than anything being wrong with Salem's Lot. The book is also much better than the film (or was it a miniseries? Can't remember now), which is pretty much the rule for 99% of Stephen King's stuff, of course.

Comment

The Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K. Hamilton seems to be always a good seller. Full of sex though.

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero9X View Post
                          The Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K. Hamilton seems to be always a good seller. Full of sex though.
                          The first half a dozen or so aren't though.

Edit: I just realize the comic said basically the same thing; oh well :P
                          Last edited by Malavon; 03-12-2009, 06:42.

Comment

Has she read The Host by the same author as the Twiglet books. My missus loved it, read it twice within a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Gear View Post
                              Has she read The Host by the same author as the Twiglet books. My missus loved it, read it twice within a week.
                              Thanks. That's it now. 4 books should keep her busy whilst I play games

Comment

Working...
                              X