Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adam Stone View Post
    Hello fellow drinking people!

So, on average, how much do you guys drink a week?

Just before Xmas I mentioned to a friend how much i was drinking, between 8-12 440ml cans of beer a night - and he reacted quite shocked. Ive been doing that now for the past couple years... never really gave it much thought. I drink super fast, so by the time ive sat down and settled after work, ive already had 4...

But his reaction made me reflect and reconsider that obvious bad habbit. Because thats all it was - a habit. So since Christmas i'v cut right down, mostly only drink at weekends now, or if i fancy a relaxing beer during the week, i have one or two.

The funny thing is, i didnt need to drink 8-12 cans previously, there was no real urge... It was just because i could and got into the routine of it - It was my chillout time. Time not to focus on anything, just unwind with a beer. Since ive cut down I've not been bothered at all, not missed it, no desire to increase. Funny really! I just obviously got so used to it it became part of my every day routine, never gave it a second thought.

Health wise im sure my insides are singing for joy, but i dont feel any healthier. I have always kept pretty fit...

The only major difference i have noticed is that i dont sleep as well....
    Pretty much exactly like me over the past year or so. But I started mainly as a crutch after my mate died. Started as a couple of pints after work to avoid going home to dwell, then it became buying a box of beer at Tesco after the pub.

Even though I was feeling much better mentally I carried on and only decided to stop because I have put a load of weight on, but I was idly googling my symptoms when I was feeling ill in the middle of last month and the best match I found was 'alcohol withdrawl' which has really slapped me around the face! (Insomnia is one of those by the way)

So now I try not to drink at all in the week, still quite hard to come straight home and not stop off at the pub or shop though! Makes it easier the fact I am losing 2.5lbs a week without altering any other aspects of my diet. Plus it feels kind of wrong that I am celebrating losing a stone with a massive Guinness session tonight but I am not a saint

Comment

Good work man!

I know what you mean about it being a bit hard after work without that beer. My problem was that I started to associate relaxation with beer. It became so familar that, like you, on the way home i'll pop into the shop and buy a box to relax with when I got home. Not one or two... a box. Very silly. It took a couple to wind down, a couple more to get settled in, and before i knew it i had gone through a box. Funnily enough i didnt get drunk - perhaps a bit giggly, a little light headed, but nothing major. And the next morning totally fine, a little sleepy perhaps, but nothing a run couldn't shake off.

I do feel better now though, having changed that habbit. Not healthier as such, but generally i enjoy my beer more. Tonight, for example, I got myself a few beers and it actually feels like a TREAT! I'm bloody loving it, whereas before it was just so familiar i started not to enjoy it!

Weight wise, it's hard to tell! Always remained fairly fit... I am a bit more tonned now - but i think that's because ive been running much more. I need to get rid of this bit of weight around my tummy, drinking less will hopefully help with that :-)

But anyhow! Cheers!

Here's to a treat night of a few beers without feeling guilty!
      How's the Guinness?? I cant do that stuff - way too hardcore for me ;-)
      ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Re: Anyone had a few drinks?

Large whiskey and coke most nights. Tonight I've done a bottle of red though.

Comment

Good man!

With company or just enjoying the delights of not actually caring? :-)
          ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

For some reason i've waited until ten minutes ago to have my first drink of the night. Going down a treat mind you.

Comment

Found a splendid new beer in tesco called 'banks' from barbados...wow; chilled 3 in the freezer and they went down a treat. Then drank a fosters and nearly spat it out.

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
                Tonight I've done a bottle of red though.
                Drinking a bottle of red wine by yourself? Shame on you.

Comment

Got 4 pint cans of Stella, a couple of glasses of wine and some nice, new bud. Should sort the lumbar pain out good n' proper.

Comment

Superb stuff, went down to Moggy's tonite and resisted the usual weekend urge of 8 cans of Holsten Pils and a box of red.

Instead, got two cans of Sapporo, one bottle of Tsingtao and two 1litre bottles of this lager called 'Alhambra', never heard of it before, looks like a 40oz from Menace II Society or summat.

Can't believe I bought a boxless 'stomach' of hock for a fiver last week, been supping it the last few nights, it's vile, I'd rather ENJOY what I drink. Gonna get a bit more selective about my boozing now, err more towards quality than quantity, much rather get a nice buzz off nice beer than get all munted n' sick off a cheap box of generic red, I really am getting too old for the hangovers!!!!

Comment

Just opened a bottle of London Pride and have a decent bottle of red ready for later on. Our lass is away so it's me and the dog, with plenty to drink, a tasty piece of chicken for my tea and loads of games to play. Heating on full and I am as happy as pig in mud.

Comment

Oh, god, got the Guinness poops. Don't even know why I bother with it, I had a brief love affair with it but it's 4.1/2%, tastes like a mixture of ash, blood, foam, soil and carcinogens, and just makes me nauseous when I drink it. Might do an 'action painting' later if this continues.

Comment

Billy Bizollocks, fell off the wagon this morn, had about a 3/4 day abstinence from ALL prostate aggravators, including booze n fags, 'cos I've got something approaching prostatitis again. Just come off the dullest, 7-night long set of nights shifts I've ever done, about two days worth of activity and 5 days of sitting about (no good when trying to de-inflame a prostate gland) and it's just depressed me.

Got home, decided that I'm not even gonna smoke weed, so I'll have to EAT it instead. Imbibe a bud equivalent in size to maybe 1.5 Werther's Originals at around 6am, get a mild buzz an hour or so later so head to the offy to do the Lotto in quite a pleasant headstate. Whilst there, espy a small pouch of Amber Leaf and 4x500ml cans of Kronenbourg. Get in, roll a ciggie, then a huge, tobacco-containing skunk bullet, and I KNOW I've f*cked up badly, already, even though I am in BLISS!

Comment

Hungover to ****e ouch bloody Dutch lager (was given a cheapy 12 pack of Bavaria, Bulgaria, Bollocks or something) was ok-ish drinking it but I know today why its cheap me head is gonna explode

Comment

Having a nice belated birthday chill out drink, 18 year old Glenfiddich. Sat watching an old fave on TCM, garden state. Relaxing.

Comment

On the 500ml Kronies. Pretty cool for the lovey stuff, they proper mash the pain inwards. Might get back on with that 2 week old Dead Space 2 save, I think I've nearly finished the game. Odd, it's wimmin, innit, haven't actually clocked a game this year but last year, blissfully un-woman involved, i had about 9 out of the way by March!

Comment

Working...
                                X