No announcement yet.

British Airways strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Strike's illegal as the court has basically found the union guilty of ballot stuffing. Got to love the quote from the union: "(it's a) disgraceful day for democracy". Yeah, a true democracy should allow as much fixing as you want!

Comment

The top dogs in the union are not guilty of ballot stuffing, they are guilty of an admin error which has resulted in members who already took a voluntery redundacy package recieving ballot papers.

These members have then voted and the result of the vote is not valid because of contaminated votes which should not have been there in the first place.

Very basic error but one that has cost them their strike, members have now lost confidence in the union and its a PR nightmare.

Bit of a stinker all round for the union.

Comment

Thread revival for a first-time (BA) flier.
        I was re-checking some details of a flight I'll have on April, 9th and noticed that the cabin crew will strike twice during March, from the 20-22 and the 27-30, a full week before departure but since I don't know how how the union usually handles strikes, what are my chances that the strike will go on or a third strike will be scheduled for April?

Comment

Think it's very unlikely they'll go for a third set of strikes that close.

They've very little public support and there's a significant risk of them driving BA into bankrupcy.

Comment

have to say i am always a bit wary about unions though....here in ireland there was a story about a company that wanted to let some people go....or have pay cuts.....the unions said no...and as a result the company closed down in ireland and everyone lost there jobs

Comment

Some senior MPs suspect that parliament selection process is being manipulated to benefit Unite or Ed Balls

This kind of thing is incredibly worry.

Comment

The latest strike has annoyed me.

What are they striking for? Wages? working conditions? redundancies?

Nope.

They're striking over their travel perks. The free/reduced prices they get given as a reward for their service. In other words, their bonuses. Unite have lost any right to criticise the banking sector. At least they did the work required for their bonuses.

Comment

Wonder how much longer BA can keep this going because at this rate nobodys going to want to fly with them. I certainly know that i won't ever use BA to fly anywhere, if they don't like their jobs then suck it up & go look for another. In this recession theres plenty of people who don't have a job that will gladly take their places.

Comment

They posted something like a £500million loss and these strikes will cause a massive loss of business for them.

BA are all set to become the UK's highest profile bankrupcy and I don't think unite give a toss. People in all walks of life are living under the spectre of losing their jobs and they're striking over some cheap holidays they didn't earn.

Comment

i am not a fan of unions have to say ...was a story in ireland...company wanted to reduce some wages across the board...unions said no chance....and as a result company closed and moved...and EVERYONE lost there jobs

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                        The latest strike has annoyed me.

What are they striking for? Wages? working conditions? redundancies?

Nope.

They're striking over their travel perks.
                        They're striking for all of the above.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                          i am not a fan of unions have to say ...was a story in ireland...company wanted to reduce some wages across the board...unions said no chance....and as a result company closed and moved...and EVERYONE lost there jobs
                          And this is what so many people fail to understand.

It's not as if the union is calling the shots while the collective just stand by like sheep. If the collective aren't unified behind a cause there isn't much the union as an organisation can do.

The union is a focal point for its members and can only act upon the wishes of its members. The union is there to make sure every thing is done legally and organises votes, rallies and meetings etc.

And if a company decides to take action that is unfortunate but it is also how the world works.

I have been involved in a couple of disputes including one that ultimately lead to a strike. The threat of strike should be enough to make a company think twice but sometimes direct action does have to be taken.

BA's Willie Walsh was actually quite high up in a trade union years ago and it does seem as if his goal is to hurt Unite more than saving money. Has macho posturing is amazing and I am amazed the BA board isn't looking at getting rid of him.

I am a union member but wish it was something that was not necessary. But until upper management start to treat their employees fairly it's a necessary evil.

Comment

Originally posted by SharkSkin-Man View Post
                            They're striking for all of the above.
                            They've agreed to terms for all of the above. They're literally only striking now for their travel perks.

Originally posted by CMck
                            And this is what so many people fail to understand.

It's not as if the union is calling the shots while the collective just stand by like sheep. If the collective aren't unified behind a cause there isn't much the union as an organisation can do.
                            Unfortunately there is a sheep like element to it. Do some rousing speeches at meetings, generate a feel of 'if you vote against this, you're not supporting your fellow workers' or 'The Management think they can do whatever they like!!!', and union members will be quite reluctant to vote against any action, even if they don't really support it.

It's pretty rare for a strike organised by a large sized union to be voted against.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                              They've agreed to terms for all of the above. They're literally only striking now for their travel perks.

BA Say "We have already offered to reinstate travel concessions to cabin crew once all elements of our offer have been implemented.?Of more concern to us is Tony Woodley?s comment to the media that he wants to revisit certain proposals in our offer, when previously he had indicated that these were agreed.?

They've not agreed terms yet as far as I can see(?)

Comment

It's all a bit odd. Unite seem to keep flip-flopping on what they're striking for. I'm sure it was only a couple of days ago they said terms had been agreed other than the re-instatement of travel perks.

Comment

Working...
                                X