The Careers Thread A.K.A. "Why I Hate My Job Today"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Careers Thread A.K.A. "Why I Hate My Job Today"

I realise there's probably already a thread like this but I just fancy a rant so apologies in advance...

Basically I'm getting an assistant so me, my boss and the HR girl spent most of last week interviewing applicants. I thought we had all decided on this one guy. He had no degree but had produced some great posters and graphics for his friend's band and also ran a very impressive design blog/website. He was as knowledgeable as any graduate, had a stable work history in call centers and low salary expectations. This was pretty much his dream job and his enthusiasm for the subject was off the chart. Infact in his interview he even said he'd probably do it for minimum wage.

Fast forward to this morning, where I turn up to find we are instead hiring a Jessica Biel look-a-like who's younger and straight out of Oxford with a degree that's irrelevant to the position. Basically this girl just spent the whole interview getting pally with HR and flirting with me and the gaffer while simultaneously showing no interest in graphics, branding or any form of design.

I've nothing against the girl, she's very bubbly and presentable (read: hot) and articulate (read: posh) which I suppose is good thing in an image conscious industry but to give her £24,000 and a company car (mid-range Audi A3) when she's never had a proper job before, while simultaneously writing off a 25 year old as unambitious for having had rubbish jobs and no degree doesn't sit right with me since although I have a quite decent job I'm 24 and also have no degree...

Any thoughts? Similar experiences?

At least she's hot. Bit of a bonus really since 'bubbly' is usually a euphemism for 'a bit fat'.

So basically HR made the decision without taking account of feedback from you and your boss? Doesn't surprise me really- in my experience, 'HR people' are generally mumsy middle-aged women who contribute sweet FA to a business.
    Last edited by endo; 18-01-2010, 15:36.

Comment

Ahh, no I mean "bubbly" personality-wise i.e. she's friendly and laughs alot.

That and the hotness aside though, the point remains, she likely only got this job because my boss wants a pop at the next xmas party. Because of this I now have to teach this girl how to use a Mac and Adobe Packages while also doing the job I didn't even have time to do before (hence the need for an assistant).

Edit: Don't worry the irony of being on here during office hours while also complaining about my workload isn't wasted on me
      Last edited by dotoko; 18-01-2010, 15:46.

Comment

That's a sad story I feel sorry for the guy, was she blonde too?

Companies should give people from a less ideal background a chance. This reminds me of something I read not too long ago about Nintendo - if Miyamoto applied for a job today he most likely wouldn't be given a job he aquired back then. I think the issue is like a company personality problem and I must say I don't like it one bit.

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
          At least she's hot. Bit of a bonus really since 'bubbly' is usually a euphemism for 'a bit fat'.

So basically HR made the decision without taking account of feedback from you and your boss? Doesn't surprise me really- in my experience, 'HR people' are generally mumsy middle-aged women who contribute sweet FA to a business.

Spot-on with that !!same old story,wrong person for the job..I take it when you say "bubbly" you really mean fat. eh

Comment

So your new assistant looks like this?

Aces.

Comment

Probably without the guns though I'd imagine.

Comment

every job ive ever worked in ive witnessed guys getting squeezed out of jobs to favour attactive girls who are **** at the role. Pisses me off!

Comment

Well at least you can bum her in the gob which I imagine you wouldn't want to do with the guy.

Comment

But does she come with similar blatant product placement?

But yeah, more companies need to take on people without solid experience and academics who can clearly do the job.

Someone needs to remind them of one important principle : people with no experience and qualifications will be far more willing to work for next to nothing.

Comment

Yeah bum her in the gob then let her blackmail you, then you become her ASSistant, oh yeah. I had a massive reply for this thread, as I was annoyed.
                      To cut small story as short as I can get, I lost a promotion to management training over a lass in work (who I knew) she got promoted basically cause she flirted a lot.
                      People say SURELY NOT??
                      Well it looks like this to me.
                      Me- 4 years with company, worked as supervisor to the manager for 3 years.
                      Her- 2 years with company underneath me I trained her, she left to goto a Management position (via her degree!) with a bloody awesome company, she later quit when it was too tough and stressful for her. Called my manager, got re-employed in a recession within 2 weeks of the call, 6 months later she was on management training over me.
                      That's almost as fishy as my managers face every weekend it seems.
                      Now I'm hearing she is stressed and wants to quit, bloody joke if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                        Yeah bum her in the gob then let her blackmail you, then you become her ASSistant, oh yeah. I had a massive reply for this thread, as I was annoyed.
                        To cut small story as short as I can get, I lost a promotion to management training over a lass in work (who I knew) she got promoted basically cause she flirted a lot.
                        People say SURELY NOT??
                        Well it looks like this to me.
                        Me- 4 years with company, worked as supervisor to the manager for 3 years.
                        Her- 2 years with company underneath me I trained her, she left to goto a Management position (via her degree!) with a bloody awesome company, she later quit when it was too tough and stressful for her. Called my manager, got re-employed in a recession within 2 weeks of the call, 6 months later she was on management training over me.
                        That's almost as fishy as my managers face every weekend it seems.
                        Now I'm hearing she is stressed and wants to quit, bloody joke if you ask me.
                        Next step for her...she'll get pregnant and go on Maternity for a year, come back for 3 weeks and then quit.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                          So your new assistant looks like this?

Aces.

More like this, which is academic, since it really is Beauty and the Geek. I am to all intents and purposes McLovin'

Comment

Lovely, I could look at that all day...so much better looking, than the mongs I have at my work

Comment

Originally posted by BeyondJumpFish View Post
                              Next step for her...she'll get pregnant and go on Maternity for a year, come back for 3 weeks and then quit.
                              Well I LOL'd.
                              She is too good for all that "Oh I dont do children hunny" or even "I don't do walking sweetie", her words

Comment

Working...
                              X