Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone been to New York recently and know customs times?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 112 View Post
    Punio, you should be fine without a visa, presuming you are a uk citizen, you will get a green visa waver, whilst on the plane, also depends where you are flying from aswell. UK is on the USA's buddy list

No, not correct anymore. You need to apply online min 74 hours before the flight to use the visa waver, and this will be useable for 3 months.

Just got back from the states on Sunday and used 90 mins coming in.

It's the same system, same greeen forms and you get to do everything in duplicate (Paper) on arrival like before, but you need to do the online part first.

You will also have your photo taken, fingerprints from both hands and asked some polite questions about your visit. If they wish you then might go to a second section for more detailed questions.

All in all its a good idea to plan some extra time for these things.

Comment

Originally posted by capcom_suicide View Post
      No, not correct anymore. You need to apply online min 74 hours before the flight to use the visa waver, and this will be useable for 3 months.

Just got back from the states on Sunday and used 90 mins coming in.

It's the same system, same greeen forms and you get to do everything in duplicate (Paper) on arrival like before, but you need to do the online part first.

You will also have your photo taken, fingerprints from both hands and asked some polite questions about your visit. If they wish you then might go to a second section for more detailed questions.

All in all its a good idea to plan some extra time for these things.
      I haven't been back to NY for 2 and a half years now, I do remember this online form thing when I went, unless the system is in full force between then and now, I thought that completing the form online was a means of speeding up the process slightly so that they had information about you prior to your arrival in the country. But I literally filled in the green form whilst on the plane and when I got there, I went through what you described above with the finger prints, and photo etc.

What if you don't have internet access?

Comment

Originally posted by 112 View Post
        I haven't been back to NY for 2 and a half years now, I do remember this online form thing when I went, unless the system is in full force between then and now, I thought that completing the form online was a means of speeding up the process slightly so that they had information about you prior to your arrival in the country. But I literally filled in the green form whilst on the plane and when I got there, I went through what you described above with the finger prints, and photo etc.

What if you don't have internet access?

Could be you are right, I was informed that it was optional since Aug 2008, and in force since 01.01.2010. But this was a travel agent's advice, not anyone official.

Comment

Could be you are right, I was informed that it was optional since Aug 2008, and in force since 01.01.2010. But this was a travel agent's advice, not anyone official.
          Anyways, thanks for the heads up dude, will come in handy for future refference!

Comment

Is finger printing a standard thing when going to America?
            I'm going to New York in October for my birthday, we'll be landing in Newark, can I expect the full treatment?
            Suppose it's best I don't wear my "Infidels must die" t-shirt on the way over.

Comment

Yeah, they'll take your photo and your fingerprints while they ask you the usual questions about visit duration, where you're staying, if you're meeting anyone, etc.

Comment

Well, I never knew that. It's quite exciting. Are the finger prints done with ink, or is it a futuristic device, like a self service machine in Tescos?

Perhaps they should go the whole hog and just brand our arses with the Union Jack upon landing.

Comment

Its done like in a typical prison, make sure you wash your hands afterwards, the black shoe polish they use to get yah prints is poisonous! They also take mug shots of you to post on twitter, incase anyone knows you.........

Seriously though, its like scanning something on a bar code except it takes longer. Mine took longer as I had a skin condition at the time on one hand, but the officer was cool about it and said it could be done on either hand. You'll have lots of fun Jimothy!

Comment

I think it lasts a couple of years though, not three months. I'm going to Texas in August and filled in the ESTA authorisation form online on 6th January right after I bought the plane ticket, and it said it would expire in January 2012.

Comment

Working...
                    X