Help me be British.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me be British.

So, about a year ago I found out that having a british mother meant that I could apply for citizenship.

12 months and a couple thousand dollars later, I'm officially a dual citizen. The consulate gave me a rather official looking certificate, a little flag lapel pin, and a booklet on my rights & responsibilities.

They didn't, however, give me anything on, as it were, the practical.

For example: in the US, we have this thing called a Social Security Number. Initially it was designed to serve as an identifier for tax and welfare purposes, but it's become used as an all-purpose identifier; credit providers, medical insurers, college, employers, and pretty much every large organization you come in contact with uses your SSN as a unique identifier, even if it's technically illegal in a lot of cases.

Does the UK have a similar identifier?

That's kind of specific, though, and I was kind of hoping for general advice. Let me rephrase a bit.

I'm a college student in the US right now, but I am considering a move to the UK after I graduate. What kinds of things ought I really know BEFORE I get there?

This may be a weird place to ask for advice, but my only other real source is watching Top Gear and all that's taught me is that driving in London is insane, that there's something called a "congestion fee" that is the source of all evil in the world, and that they ought to take the bus lanes off the M4, I think it is.

Top Gear is your only point of reference? You must think we're all complete dickheads.

Comment

We have a National Insurance number which is similar.

Apart from that we drive on the left, have afternoon tea and love the queen.

Comment

Would you not be better off staying over there?

Comment

..and we couldn't care less!

Comment

Originally posted by Randicoot View Post
            Top Gear is your only point of reference? You must think we're all complete dickheads.
            I'm assuming you only have one Jeremy Clarkson and he's kept properly caged except during filming.

I hope, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by BaudAttitude View Post
              Does the UK have a similar identifier?
              You'll need a National Insurance number for tax purposes should you have a job I think. I believe you can apply for one if you are employed or if you are actively seeking emplyment.

I imagine all this info starts to get very complicated and I'm sure there are probably some more useful websites around.

Comment

Originally posted by BaudAttitude View Post
                I'm assuming you only have one Jeremy Clarkson and he's kept properly caged except during filming.

I hope, anyway.
                There's only one of him but thanks to a wonderful system called Care in the Community we've got all sorts of certifiable nutters roaming the street all over the country.

Comment

A football player.

NOT a football player.

Comment

Also, this is required reading if you want to truly fit in

Comment

Our houses are made of bricks and it rains a lot. We are not allowed to own firearms. Liecester is pronounced "Lester", and Worcester is pronounced "Worster". There are other words like this too.

We don't sound anything at all like Australians either.

And don't say British, nobody from here says that. It's either English, Scottish or Welsh. There's Northern Ireland too, but you prolly don't wanna go there ever.
                      Last edited by J0e Musashi; 21-04-2010, 21:06.
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Yeah, we wiped out all of our dropbears hundreds of years ago through over-hunting.

Comment

Our entire island is smaller than most of your states, so it's a little more crowded. Or rather less spread out between cities.

You are not allowed to get excited about politics. Waving flags and coloured balloons raining from the ceiling after a rousing speach is definitely out.

You can expect free healthcare, but if it's not critical, you can wait for months/years.

Having a drink problem is NOT having 3 beers on a saturday night. We start drinking from around age 15 in pubs if we can get away with it. Most people survive intact, but some people turn into knobs and start fights. Drinks come in pints which are just over half a litre.

Petrol is a bit more excitingly expensive.

We don't have earthquakes, but we have floods that annoy a town here and there every now and then.

Comment

You have to like tea.

And be good at complaining about stuff.

Then, when the opposite to what you are complaining about happens start complaining about that instead.

I love being British!

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                              And don't say British, nobody from here says that. It's either English, Scottish or Welsh.
                              All of my American and Australian friends are really suprised when people tell them this too. Only Americans or Australians use the word 'British', there's little sense of unity over here, it seems!

Watch out for volcanic ash clouds, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X