No announcement yet.

Android recommended games and applications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Football Manager 2012 Handheld released. Not cheap but most people would get full value from this.

Comment

This is probably the best place to ask without starting a new thread, so does anyone have any recommendations for a cheapish Android tablet?

Funds are tight at the moment due to the pending house move, so the iPad option is out. Which leads me to Android and while I'd love a Transformer Prime it's again outside of my budget (and perhaps a bit OTT for what I want). The main use for it will be reading comics and browsing the web / Skype without having to fire up the PC.

The HP Touchpad seemed pretty good now that they've got ICS working on it, but just wondered if there was anything else I should be looking at?

Comment

What kinda budget we talking about?

Comment

As cheap as possible. First gen Transformers are around ?200 from what I can see but I'd ideally like to pay a lot less than that and it would be my maximum.

ICS is probably my only other requirement.

Comment

Well the Samsung galaxy tab 2 is 200 quid and has ISC, id say its the best tablet out, ive got the first version with gingerbread and it works a treat. Or how about the amazon kindle fire for 150?

Comment

The original Transformer is rocking ICS these days btw fellas

Comment

Taken from Samsung's Facebook page, all these devices are meant to be getting ICS today, via kies. We know you have been waiting and we're thrilled today to announce that we'll start serving Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich to GALAXY Note and GALAXY S II in the first quarter of 2012. addition, other ICS-upgradable GALAXY devices include GALAXY S II LTE, GALAXY R, GALAXY Tab 10.1, GALAXY Tab 8.9, GALAXY Tab 7.7 and GALAXY Tab 7.0 Plus.

Comment

In the end I went with the Touchpad. Not a bad price for something that runs the current Nightly Beta builds of ICS so smoothly that you'd think it was released with it on.

It only took a bit of sorting to get it running and has the bonus of making you feel like some sort of uber-geek when you start piddling around with this sort of thing

Only issue is at the moment is that the modders haven't been able to get the front facing camera to work, but they're working on that so it'll come in time.

Comment

Where did you get the touchpad from? I'm still considering a tab, have been for a while, and I'd like to spend as little as possible.

Comment

Have a look on Amazon - their clearance warehouse has returned stock ones for around ?160.

The one I bought was supposed to have damage to the outer cardboard box, but if its there I can't see it. It was even wrapped up tight with all the plastic seals intact on the box and charger / leads.

Comment

Currency (it has a white € sign over a dark blue ball as icon), pretty handy currency convertert with completely offline and wifi-only modes.

Comment

Two things here for high end Android users:

Dosbox Turbo on the play store needs some special mention if you've got the processor grunt to handle it,
                          Mame4Droid Reloaded.

Mame4Droid Reloaded especially is worth a mention as it's built on a relatively up to date version of MAME (0.139). The performance requirements as a result have shot up, but a LOT more games are working now. I've been playing AB Cop, Power Drift, Afterburner 2, Chase HQ, Continental Circus, and a ton of other stuff at full speed with some tweaking.

You can even tune a few speed hacks and get Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 working.

Dosbox Turbo is REALLY nice. I've managed to get Dungeon Keeper working on it full speed.

I'm rocking an HTC One X now w/ custom kernel and CPU governor changes to get the most out of it.

Comment

Does anyone know an application that shows the date on the system bar near the clock? I've tried several clocks but they work as widgets and I don't want space taken up on the first page.

Comment

Anyone have any recommendations for JB roms that have good battery life for my SGSII?

Comment

4.1.1 seems ok.

Comment

Working...
                                X