Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk to me about Scotland

Well Glasgow in particular

Just came home to find out my brother is going to be relocating up there on 15th August which means free breaks away for me

He finally secured his dream job working for Games Workshop & the store they offered him is the one in Union Street.

They seem pretty good & will be arranging for him to stay in a hotel while they secure him a rental property for the length of his contract.

He's proper excited & we're all well chuffed for him but just wanted to some advice about the area & what it's like to live up there (cost, people etc.) as he'll be totally out of his comfort zone so anything you think's worth knowing then I'll pass it all on

Thanks in advance guys

Neil

1. They like Irn Bru (and I agree).
    2. They also like a 'fish supper' (i.e. going to the chip shop) too.
    3. The Scots consume 25% more alcohol than the rest of the UK.

Comment

Glasgow in particular? Well, it's the second best city in Scotland.

Comment

The place is full of English

Comment

That should explain everything nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post

That should explain everything nicely.
            *cough*

Comment

Cheers, I can never get the youtube ones to work

Comment

Although I'm the most Un-Scottish person ever, I love Glasgow, specifically West End and city centre. You don't hear a lot of praise for it, because Scotland has this strange culture where they'll jokily say how much they suck one second but then become militantly patriotic if someone from outside Scotland criticises the place. It's nice on the whole though.

What area is he going to be living in? Getting into work on Union Street is a cinch, all the buses go there and it's right beside Glasgow Central train station and near enough to one of the underground stops. Glasgow's tube system has to be one of the only ones in the world where it's impossible to get lost in, because it's basically a circle.

The people here are generally friendly. The ones who aren't are the chavs (or neds as they're called up here) and they are easy to spot.

Lastly, Scotland is really not that much different to England, from my experience, so don't worry. Don't tell them I said that though.
                Last edited by Lyris; 28-07-2010, 19:22.

Comment

Went there earlier in the year for the first time and it reminds me of Newcastle except with Scottish people obviously, nice place but what was not nice is not being able to get a beer before 12.30pm on a Sunday and the gameshops are not that good if he is in to that

Comment

Glasgow is a great place with plenty of great pubs, but your brother needs to avoid wearing green or blue.

He will also be spoiled for choice when it comes to live music, and cool little venues.

Comment

Game shops aren't good? I wouldn't really know since I don't buy PAL games, but there's a ton of GAME stores around as well as some Gamestations. And G-Force is one of the few indies around on Union Street..

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.

Lol I have already warned him about the Green & Blue issue
                        He's a Southend supporter like me so if he just stays away from discussing Football he should be fine

Thanks for the info Lyris, will let him know about the transport.
                        We arent sure about the hotel he'll be staying yet...he should find out tomorrow & then we'll start looking for a rental flat for him one we have a feel for the area.

Thanks again guys

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris View Post
                          Game shops aren't good? I wouldn't really know since I don't buy PAL games, but there's a ton of GAME stores around as well as some Gamestations. And G-Force is one of the few indies around on Union Street..
                          G-Force... the most overpriced game shop i have ever been in.. and i have been in Game Focus in london

great boozers though and also really nice people looking forward to going back

Comment

I visited Glasgow a few times for work, always found people to be friendly although the accent might make people sound a bit blunt. But they aren't. No hassle for being English* either. Only issue I had in Scotland was in Kilmarnock - I was called an 'English Tosser' I did try to correct her but I guess my forum name would've been lost on her.

A few Scottish people who I mentioned this too all came out with a similar line 'Aye that's Ayeshire for you'

*My mom is from Glasgow, so I'm half(ish) Scottish

Comment

G-Force used to be great back in't day and CA Games
                              I do miss Glasgow specifically King Tuts, I used to live in that place. Was always on the pool table at with my mates and music was always good in bar and the live bands upstairs.
                              Grab a scotch pie and a pint in The Horse Shoe Bar at lunch time, was always good for a laugh the place get so damn busy and its small.
                              Also Oran Mor is a great place over in Hillhead (on underground, not far from it) I got married in the Auditoriam there, food in The Brasserie Restaurant is fantastic too.

Comment

Working...
                              X