X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RobRoy View Post
    Got myself some walking dead so i'll see how that goes thanks mate
    You'll love it

One of the best series ever, the writing is fantastic, it's well paced, looks great & just everything a comic should be.

Neil

Comment

I've been reading some Batwoman on a recommendation and I've been really enjoying it. Started with Elegy and went from there. Very interesting character and a sort of supernatural world, more whimsical than Batman (though clearly they're supposed to be in the same universe). Batwoman is from an army family and her military dad is like her Alfred. No idea what she does for a living but she began in the military and then got kicked out because someone asked and she told, breaking the old "don't ask, don't tell" rule. Now she dresses up in a black and red costume and beats up bad guys.

It's pretty good and the artwork so far has been gorgeous.

Comment

Originally posted by RobRoy View Post
        Got myself some walking dead so i'll see how that goes thanks mate
        the 8th volume of the Hardcover was despatched yesterday...I am almost sat by the letterbox waiting for it to drop....

Comment

2 new pick ups this week...

Thanos Quest is again reprints of past Thanos storylines but looks pretty sweet & includes the picture which I'm sure inspired something special...

Neil

Comment

That Annihilators cover looks pretty sweet.

After reading Elegy, the Batwoman Detective Comics run, I got hooked and read every one of her own book right up to where they are now. Generally, it's awesome. It's set in quite a supernatural world and reminds me so much of the old Vertigo line-up from the 90s, like Sandman and the like. It is laid out and reads very like them. I love that the art changes style depending on what's going on or what period we're seeing (you can see a bit of that in the example below) and the layout is often really inventive and yet always clear.

After an incredibly strong start, I did find it began to wander a little though and I'm hoping it pulls itself back because, for the most part, it is awesome and I hope it stays that way. Who would have thought Batwoman would be awesome? I certainly didn't.

One thing that does bug me though is its need to sit in the DC universe. It is so different and doesn't feel like a usual superhero comic, like I say it's like the old Vertigo comics, so every reference to someone like Aquaman or alien technology pulls me right out of the story. And the latest issue is a crossover with Wonder Woman and it simply doesn't fit for me at all. Leads me to realise what I have often suspected - I just don't like normal superhero comics. In fact, I really dislike them. There are standouts like Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen but usually they are standouts because they aren't like normal superhero comics. Even Planet Hulk was so different and excellent and yet when it went into World War Hulk it lost me again - it just became standard superhero stuff.

I don't like superhero comics. There, I said it. In a comics thread. Do your worst.

I also read through Dredd Case Files 14, which is the Necropolis storyline. It was as brilliant as I remember. It's kind of an odd one because I never really remember all that many events in it. That would usually be a criticism! But it's one I enjoy immensely. It's like a huge journey that involves the complete tear down of Mega City 1 and everything Dredd stands for and he's not even there to see most of it. Or of the things it does really well is show the story as it affects other characters. Often that can backfire because we just want to see our favourite characters (Dredd isn't even in half of Necropolis) but it's done so well here it is hard to fault. A great Dredd classic.

Anyway, here's another Batwoman pic. If you haven't given it a go, I'd recommend starting with Elegy.

Comment

I've just re-read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen as I think a co-worker will love it so I got it off t'Bay for under a fiver delivered.

It's a shame to think people might have been put off reading this by the mediocre film as it's a great story with loads of Easter Eggs.

The team are really dysfunctional at the start, but begin to work to their strengths and then the action really starts!

If you've not read this absolute classic, ch ch check it out.

Comment

Batwoman's one of those that I've never bothered getting in to, mainly because I had originally dismissed her as yet another spin off title which was just there to support the ubiquitous Batman.

But the more that the New 52 has progressed, the more it does seem like one of the more unusual titles that has been worth supporting. There's a lot wrong with the current New 52 line up, but right now DC seem to be nailing the darker themed titles with stuff like I Vampire, Justice League Dark, Swamp Thing and Animal Man - especially the latter two with the upcoming Rotworld story.

Think I'll have to jump in and have a catch up on Batwoman.

Comment

Forget your Cosmic Cubes and Infinity Gems, how about King Solomon's Frog! .

Loved the cover as soon as I saw it, so I've been after the issue for a while. Managed to get a copy that was in a sale, so I'm quite pleased with myself!

I've actually given up on Neil ever reading Guardians of the Galaxy , so I went out and bought myself issue 3. Would have bought issue 1 and 2 (for obvious reasons), but they are starting to rise in price, and as I've no knowledge of the characters, I did'nt want to splurge cash only to find I did'nt enjoy the read. Anyhow, issue 3 did enough to warrant me buying issue 4, which I have now read. It's interesting enough for me to go out and buy issue 5 however, I'm wary that some later issue's (no. 8), are something like ?10 ish to buy, whether that's down to that particular issue being part of the War of Kings storyline I'm not sure?

Neil - can you refund me the amount I've paid for these 2 comics for not providing a review

Comment

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
                    Forget your Cosmic Cubes and Infinity Gems, how about King Solomon's Frog! .

Loved the cover as soon as I saw it, so I've been after the issue for a while. Managed to get a copy that was in a sale, so I'm quite pleased with myself!

I've actually given up on Neil ever reading Guardians of the Galaxy , so I went out and bought myself issue 3. Would have bought issue 1 and 2 (for obvious reasons), but they are starting to rise in price, and as I've no knowledge of the characters, I did'nt want to splurge cash only to find I did'nt enjoy the read. Anyhow, issue 3 did enough to warrant me buying issue 4, which I have now read. It's interesting enough for me to go out and buy issue 5 however, I'm wary that some later issue's (no. 8), are something like ?10 ish to buy, whether that's down to that particular issue being part of the War of Kings storyline I'm not sure?

Neil - can you refund me the amount I've paid for these 2 comics for not providing a review
                    Lol I'll see

Sorry for not reading them yet though
                    I need to read all of Annihilation & Conquest first so got a fair bit of reading to do before I get there but I also have a backlog of other stuff to read first so it might be some way off yet

That said I did actualy read something other than my DC New 52 stuff last week though...BRB: Storm Breaker & it is freaking awsome.
                    Loved every second of it.
                    Art was great, story was brilliant it was well paced & just cemented the character as one of my fave caharcaters of all time.

Will be starting on God Hunter soon now to see how that one goes

Neil

Comment

Anyone seen these:

Collection of the original volumes...

Comment

I've read that actually, oddly enough. My friend let me borrow it. It's pretty good, I think he's got the second volume too now. May have to borrow it.

Comment

Slight ot, but following on from the above.

Comment

Working overseas means that when I come home for the weekend I've got post to get through.

Luckily, it's not all bills.

Team Seven & The Phantom Stranger.

Bought both of these based on some reviews. Having read both, I'll only be getting The Phantom Stranger and not T7.

T7 is a very generic superhero team based storyline. The art is passable at best, but for a 1st issue it falls well short. It's virtually all dialogue, with the action saved for the last 2 pages. None of the characters engage me, and with a plethora of other team based titles, both ongoing and upcoming, it's an easy pass.

The Phantom Stranger has me interested. I've no knoweldge of the character (who's been around a while), but the 1st issue convinced me enough to pick up No. 2. Nice art and interesting characters, tho' I hasten to add that I hope The PS has some interesting powers rather than being at pivotal moments in people's lives.

After bleating about the high price of issue 2 a few pages back, I managed to pick it up for ?4. Happy. Also bought issue 5, 6, 7 & 8. I didn't realise issue 8 had a variant cover (which I bought), as the standard cover is a lot cheaper, oh well. But in fairness tho, Thanos does look Like A Boss! Yet to read 5-8, probably when I'm back home again.

Comment

My Halloween reading...

Comment

First time? Im jealous if so!

Comment

Working...
                                X