Recommended graphic novels / comics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
    Been after this issue for a while but I've wanted a fairly decent grade copy, so I've had to bide my time.

This has come from the 'States, and was posted Monday and I received it today, so no complaints with the postal service.

Avengers #54 - the first appearance of Ultron.

Nice copy...Can i ask how much you paid for it?

Comment

?78 Delivered (the postage was a fair bit as it was packaged to endure the long journey).

You can get it cheaper, but the condition is invariably worse.
      I did see a copy for quite a bit more, which was in better condition, but I had to draw the line somewhere!
      I've also got another key issue coming in the post, so my budget has been blown to bits!
      Last edited by Super Grover; 18-01-2013, 20:59. Reason: Forgot some detail.

Comment

Mmm postage always a killer from the US....Have a tried these guys

I,ve been collecting Amazing Spider-Man(on and off for years now) and only up to issue 200 and Tomb of Dracula. There's something about the Bronze Age that modern comics can't capture.

Dont get me wrong I love some of the new titles "Thief of Thieves,Happy".

Comment

I never post in this thread lol.

This was my reading for December-ish i guess.

Working up to AVX now and then Marvel Now TPBs appearing. I'll be cutting down my reading of certain teams/charcaters once Now hits as a lot of it looks terrible to be honest.....and its really really gutting.

Marvel Zomnibus is huge totally recommend to those who have never read it.

Last edited by NeoDragoN; 20-01-2013, 20:44.

Comment

Originally posted by garrz32 View Post
            Mmm postage always a killer from the US....Have a tried these guys

I,ve been collecting Amazing Spider-Man(on and off for years now) and only up to issue 200 and Tomb of Dracula. There's something about the Bronze Age that modern comics can't capture.

Dont get me wrong I love some of the new titles "Thief of Thieves,Happy".
            Ta for the heads up on QSComics. Always good to know of different eshops.

You'll have to take a few photo's of your Spidey books, it's always good to see other people's collections.

I know what you mean about the Bronze Age comics, there's a certain something about them that sets them apart from there modern day counterparts.

@ Neo - everytime I see that Deadpool /Hulk cover it always brings a smile to my face. I think prior to the Marvel Now reboot, the Deadpool series probably had some of the best covers going. Some of the riffs on modern culture were very amusing.

Comment

No worries Super Grover,I have used them and their comics are exceptional,they can be pricey but look in the bargain section first.

I love looking in Ebay,sometimes get amazing bargains!

Will post some pics of a few collections I have at hand...most are in storage at the moment.

Comment

Popped in to pick up my pull list on Saturday before the snow came down & this little lot was nestled in the bag...

Paid a ?1 for the Guardians issue 7
                John reckons he has the rest as well so just waiting for him to dig them out now.

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                  Paid a ?1 for the Guardians issue 7
                  John reckons he has the rest as well so just waiting for him to dig them out now.Neil
                  ?1 an issue for GotG!?!?If you don't snap them all up at that price, let me know what you don't want and I'll send you my wants

Comment

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
                    ?1 an issue for GotG!?!?If you don't snap them all up at that price, let me know what you don't want and I'll send you my wants
                    Lol I know it was the only one there but I've got John on the hunt for the rest of them now.
                    I'm mostly after the issues that make up the 2 GN becuase I can still get the 3rd & 4th GN's cheaply.
                    Will let you know but I reckon I'll be all ove them I'm afraid

In other news it appears that the new Marvel Now Nova & GotG will not be as we know & love them...

The new Nova series is looking to be pretty much Nova-in-name-only. It won't have Richard Rider as Nova but instead a teenager with significantly less power, no affiliation with the Nova Corps, who won't be operating in Space.

The relaunch of Guardians of the Galaxy will also be operating on Earth and Iron Man will be a team member, seems we can't avoid Avenger characters popping up whereever even when reading books supposed to be taking place on different planets.

Looks like it's all being dumbed down ready for the movie so that everyone can tie them into the current movie-verse.
                    Also I think the new terrible Spiderman cartoon has something to do with kiddie Nova...he's a teenager in that as well (so is Iron Fist & it's all just plain stupid)

Not best pleased...a little bit of me died with that news.

Neil

Comment

So have you read all of GOTG, Annihilation, War and Realm of kings, Annihilators and Nova now Neil?

I expect nothing less from Marvel Now, its all a load of ****.....I'll wait a year down the line when they retcon everything.
                      Last edited by NeoDragoN; 22-01-2013, 02:44.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoDragoN View Post
                        So have you read all of GOTG, Annihilation, War and Realm of kings, Annihilators and Nova now Neil?

I expect nothing less from Marvel Now, its all a load of ****.....I'll wait a year down the line when they retcon everything.
                        Lol not yet.

I'm half way through book 1 of Annihilation.
                        I only have the first book of GoTG as well as I've been slow in tracking down issues 7-13 as the TPB is out of print & going for silly money on Ebay when it shows up.
                        John at my LCS is sourcing me books 3 & 4 though so that's the Realm & War stuff for GotG sorted but I do still need to track down the rest of the books in those arcs.

I had been holding off reading Annihilation & the rest until I had everything in place to blitz the lot so I wasn't left hanging between books but the urge has overwhelmed me & I cracked onto book 1 on Sunday.

So far it's pretty sweet & I'm eager to got on with it but I'm trying to pace myself & enjoy it slowly.

Which reminds me...did I see your selling your Beta Ray Bill statue at the mo??

Neil

Comment

Can anyone recommend me some Graphic Novels? Especially Superman and Batman.
                          Looking to pick up The Punisher:Welcome Back, Frank. Next. Just recently read through All Star Superman, The Long Halloween, Red Son. Others i have read are Batman: Year One, The Killing Joke.
                          Also looking into picking up some indie books, The Boys sounds really interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                            Lol not yet.

I'm half way through book 1 of Annihilation.
                            I only have the first book of GoTG as well as I've been slow in tracking down issues 7-13 as the TPB is out of print & going for silly money on Ebay when it shows up.
                            John at my LCS is sourcing me books 3 & 4 though so that's the Realm & War stuff for GotG sorted but I do still need to track down the rest of the books in those arcs.

I had been holding off reading Annihilation & the rest until I had everything in place to blitz the lot so I wasn't left hanging between books but the urge has overwhelmed me & I cracked onto book 1 on Sunday.

So far it's pretty sweet & I'm eager to got on with it but I'm trying to pace myself & enjoy it slowly.

Which reminds me...did I see your selling your Beta Ray Bill statue at the mo??

Neil
                            lol its been ages since you bought that first book too. Read Infinity Gauntlet at least!

The Beta Ray is an extra one i picked up off play.com for a stupidly cheap price, they have been selling off loads of statues from ?99 - ?200, not just Bowen either lots of Sideshow stuff too.

Mine isn't going anywhere

Just picked up the PCS 1/4 Lord raptor from Darkstalkers for ?99 too, will put some pics in the thread when it gets here

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBeatBoy View Post
                              Looking to pick up The Punisher:Welcome Back, Frank. Next. Just recently read through All Star Superman, The Long Halloween, Red Son. Others i have read are Batman: Year One, The Killing Joke.
                              Also looking into picking up some indie books, The Boys sounds really interesting.
                              Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum, Dark knight Returns are all must reads imo. I really enjoyed Hush too.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBeatBoy View Post
                                Batman was talked about a fair bit in this thread:
                                Friendly Import video game discussion forum, informative reviews, NTSC (Japan / US) and PAL - BordersDown (previously known as NTSC-uk)

With some suggestions from forum members and some links to suggestions.

You've already read some of the suggestions, but there are some others not in your list such as Gotham by Gaslight and Hush, which was a great mystery, brilliantly drawn.

I actually finished reading The Boys last week! It's possibly overlong as a couple of the stories don't push the whole story arc any further and I was ready for it to wind up, but it's a really good concept with a great sense of humour. It's incredibly rude and violent though!

All of the Punisher Max stories were brilliant and although they can be read separately, they all tie together or are referenced at the end. Not many characters make it that far though...
                                Last edited by QualityChimp; 22-01-2013, 15:54.

Comment

Working...
                                X