Recommended graphic novels / comics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NeoDragoN View Post
    lol its been ages since you bought that first book too. Read Infinity Gauntlet at least!

The Beta Ray is an extra one i picked up off play.com for a stupidly cheap price, they have been selling off loads of statues from ?99 - ?200, not just Bowen either lots of Sideshow stuff too.

Mine isn't going anywhere

Just picked up the PCS 1/4 Lord raptor from Darkstalkers for ?99 too, will put some pics in the thread when it gets here
    Lol I know
    I got them all when Chloe was 6 weeks old back in July last year...I have some serious resolve to have them sat there for that long

Infinity Guantlet is next in the pile.

Lol I had seen that on Play.com & was planning on picking it up but I was waiting for my Christmas bonus to come through & by the time it had it was gone.
    Didn't realise they were doing deals on everything else though...off to look now just in case

Sounds nice with the Darkstalker piece...haven't played them in a long time, might dig the Saturn out again soon for a blast.

Neil

Comment

Latest pick-ups.

A few series that I get, Neil does too. The guy has taste!

The New Avengers continues to impress, and even tho' I'm not keen on the art style, I'm enjoying Thunderbolts.

Couple of new titles.

Uncanny X Force was a random pickup, not sure if I'll get the next issue. Very happy that I got Revival #1. Issue 1 has had 4 reprints, and just by luck, my LCS had a first print just sitting on the shelf. Needless to say I could'nt grab it quick enough, lol.

And last, and by no means least, my first ever slabbed comic.

I've been after this issue for a bit, but I've wanted to get a good grade copy, so when this came up, I was quick to make the purchase.

Avengers #57 - the first appearance of the Vision.

I've never realised how big the case's are. The intention was to put it on display on my bookshelf, but it's too big to fit, so I'm going to have to do some re-arranging first.

Comment

Read the first two volumes of The Boys in work. Garth Ennis delivers all the time. Genuinely funny in places.

Comment

the boys is good gets a bit disturbing with some of the scenes though did make me wonder what kind of mind thought of this stuff ...though i thought the same of the supergod series to

Comment

The boys starts off well enough but like most of GEs stuff it slides downwards in entertainment towards the end and doesn't end satisfyingly enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
              Very happy that I got Revival #1. Issue 1 has had 4 reprints, and just by luck, my LCS had a first print just sitting on the shelf. Needless to say I could'nt grab it quick enough, lol.

Thumbs up from me for Revival, its great,one of the few modern series follow....Not sure if you have or know but the First print of Issue 2 is the bugger to find for a good price. You can get them on Fleabay for silly money of course

Comment

Latest pick-ups.

A few series that I get, Neil does too. The guy has taste!

The New Avengers continues to impress, and even tho' I'm not keen on the art style, I'm enjoying Thunderbolts.

Couple of new titles.

Uncanny X Force was a random pickup, not sure if I'll get the next issue. Very happy that I got Revival #1. Issue 1 has had 4 reprints, and just by luck, my LCS had a first print just sitting on the shelf. Needless to say I could'nt grab it quick enough, lol.

And last, and by no means least, my first ever slabbed comic.

I've been after this issue for a bit, but I've wanted to get a good grade copy, so when this came up, I was quick to make the purchase.

Avengers #57 - the first appearance of the Vision.

I've never realised how big the case's are. The intention was to put it on display on my bookshelf, but it's too big to fit, so I'm going to have to do some re-arranging first.
                Lol Thanks

How are you finding Cable & X-Force??
                I'm pretty close to dropping it, it's just not that good IMO, story is fairly weak & just not feeling any of the characters.

Been enjoying Indestructible Hulk though, it's still early but seems interesting.

So what's this Revival all about then??
                Looks pretty interesting.

Congrats on the graded Avengers as well looks minty.

As much as I collect comics I've never really been into the whole grading or first print thing, for me a 2nd 3rd or even 4th print would be fine as long as it's in good condition & a title I want to read because that's all that matters really being able to read it & enjoy it.

That said though all the power to people like you Grover who do go the extra mile to get the issues you really want in the best condition it must be really rewarding finally get it in that kind of condition.

Congrats again

Anyway this weeks pick ups for me...

Neil

Comment

Garzz32 - Yeah, I know mate. I've got issues 3, 4, 5, 6 on the way. Looked around for issue 2, but Christ, a 1st print copy is already circa ?18!?! Someone has even had one slabbed, on eBay. Talk about flipping! I'm presuming issue 2 had a really small print run. Not sure what I'm going to do about getting it at a decent price. If the series says strong, it could end up similar to Chew with the prices. If that turns out to be the case, ?18 is a bargain!! What's your course of action?

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                    How are you finding Cable & X-Force??
                    I'm pretty close to dropping it, it's just not that good IMO, story is fairly weak & just not feeling any of the characters.

Been enjoying Indestructible Hulk though, it's still early but seems interesting.

So what's this Revival all about then??
                    Looks pretty interesting.

As much as I collect comics I've never really been into the whole grading or first print thing, for me a 2nd 3rd or even 4th print would be fine as long as it's in good condition & a title I want to read because that's all that matters really being able to read it & enjoy it.
                    Neil
                    Dude. Cable, think it's ok, I'll stick with it through this story arc, if only a to see how how it sets up future storylines. I must admit that I've a few titles that I'm thinking of stopping, partly because my pull list is getting too long for my liking, and some titles, like Cable for you, are'nt doing anything for me. One of the titles which you seem to be enjoying (Hulk), I'm probably going to drop, as its one of the books I find that I'm not wondering if the latest issue is out so I can see what's happening.

Revival is about the undead (a novel idea - lol) basically, with mystery and aliens added to the mix. I've only had a quick flick through it, as it is in my 'to read pile' so I could be completely wrong, perhaps Garrz32 could give a far better explanation than my one sentence effort! The series has had positive reviews, and fairly cheap (1st prints not withstanding!), so you may want to give it a try.

Totally understand where you are coming from wrt not being bothered about print number/grading. Comics are to be read first and foremost, and you can buy reprints for a few quid of most comic books, or in TPB format, so it's not like you'll never get chance to read any of the comics from the 'golden age'. I'm fortunate enough (at present) to be able to afford to buy some fairly expensive comics, so I'm making hay whilst the sun shines, so to speak.

Will you be picking up the new JLA title when it's released (a month or two's time I think)?

Comment

@ Super Grover....Yeah for some reason Issue 2 had a very small run ,i have a pull list at my comic shop,where am guaranteed First prints,variants, ets etc etc and even they couldn't get the first print of Issue 2...If your making hay while the sun shines(lol,nice saying) I would go for it,I can only see it going up in value...I have seen them cheaper though!

Am in the hunt for the first print of Thief of Thieves,they all now seem to be slabbed or going for some silly asking price...As you prolly know this is now being made into a TV series and I can only see the price of these creeping up(look at 1st Issue of The Walking Dead for example)I have the 2nd print of it anyway but all my other issues are first print.

Also i don't like slabbed modern comics,only the Bronze age..nice Avengers by the way.

@ Soundwave..About revival
                      Set in Wisconsin, the dead came back to life. Officer Dana Cypress has to deal with the media scrutiny, religious zealots, and government quarantine that has come with them. In a town where the living have to learn to deal with those who are supposed to be dead, Officer Cypress must solve a brutal murder, and everyone, alive or undead, is a suspect.
                      Last edited by garrz32; 28-01-2013, 13:23. Reason: added new info

Comment

Dude. Cable, think it's ok, I'll stick with it through this story arc, if only a to see how how it sets up future storylines. I must admit that I've a few titles that I'm thinking of stopping, partly because my pull list is getting too long for my liking, and some titles, like Cable for you, are'nt doing anything for me. One of the titles which you seem to be enjoying (Hulk), I'm probably going to drop, as its one of the books I find that I'm not wondering if the latest issue is out so I can see what's happening.

Revival is about the undead (a novel idea - lol) basically, with mystery and aliens added to the mix. I've only had a quick flick through it, as it is in my 'to read pile' so I could be completely wrong, perhaps Garrz32 could give a far better explanation than my one sentence effort! The series has had positive reviews, and fairly cheap (1st prints not withstanding!), so you may want to give it a try.

Totally understand where you are coming from wrt not being bothered about print number/grading. Comics are to be read first and foremost, and you can buy reprints for a few quid of most comic books, or in TPB format, so it's not like you'll never get chance to read any of the comics from the 'golden age'. I'm fortunate enough (at present) to be able to afford to buy some fairly expensive comics, so I'm making hay whilst the sun shines, so to speak.

Will you be picking up the new JLA title when it's released (a month or two's time I think)?
                        Cable is ok but I'm just not feeling it really.
                        Hulk is a strange one...I'm enjoying it but I'm not sure how it will pan out, it's getting the first arc & then see from there but so far it's enjoyable enough.

Lol Revival sounds ok.

Oh yeah it's definitely worth doing if you can but it's just something that's never really appealed to me.
                        I think it's great that you can get the ones you want like that it's definitely an investment idea & will be an awesome show piece.
                        Perhaps if something Transformers related cropped up then I could be tempted

Yeah going to grab the new JLA see how it runs.

Originally posted by garrz32 View Post
                        @ Soundwave..About revival
                        Set in Wisconsin, the dead came back to life. Officer Dana Cypress has to deal with the media scrutiny, religious zealots, and government quarantine that has come with them. In a town where the living have to learn to deal with those who are supposed to be dead, Officer Cypress must solve a brutal murder, and everyone, alive or undead, is a suspect.
                        Thanks for the Synopsis...will see if it's in the LCS when I go next weekend & probably pick it up if it is.

Neil

Comment

DC haul this week

Comment

Some of my pick ups from LCS..

Some more for my collection of classics.

Classic Spidey #27

Comment

Very, very nice garrz!

Those Joker front covers are great, what age are they?

ASM looks really good, nice vibrant colours and the condition looks excellent.

Comment

@ Super Grover: Joker series is from 75-76,they only had a run of 9 issues..I have numbers 3, 4, 7 and 8
                                (the photo shows #4 and #7 with a pence ink stamp) but for the price i got them for, am not complaining..

Cos there are only 9 issues to collect,am trying for the complete run in FN+ or better if possible,I'll replace that copies I have with the ink stamp for better one's as soon as I have the complete run.

Thanks for the comment on ASM,yeah well happy with it,I managed to get #38 (FN condition) last week for ?30..pic to follow when I have a few others to take.
                                My plan this year is to get issues 15-50 that are missing from my collection in VG+ or better condition..I can't afford issues 1 -14 at the moment,but you never know what comes up in ebay.

I missed out on number 14(first green goblin) last week on ebay,but am sure it will come up again sometime...
                                Last edited by garrz32; 03-02-2013, 11:24.

Comment

Working...
                                X