No announcement yet.

Recommended graphic novels / comics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice. I remember them moving to the outskirts of the centre a bit but I spent most of my time in there when they were in the gallery next to the shop that sold the shuriken etc. I would browse for ages but always left with either 2000ad, ghost rider ir Appleseed. So predictable!

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
      Nice. I remember them moving to the outskirts of the centre a bit but I spent most of my time in there when they were in the gallery next to the shop that sold the shuriken etc. I would browse for ages but always left with either 2000ad, ghost rider ir Appleseed. So predictable!
      I remember them being up there & I picked up Akira on VHS when they were there amongst other things (including my Death of Superman comic, Batman Knightquest stuff & my first ever Turtles comic was from there...long before the Cartoon arrived as well) it was massively dark in there as well, lighting was awful.

They are now on the level below on the opposite side, still a tiny little shop but it does me fine & John can source most stuff

Neil

Comment

Lol yeah was proper dingy in there. Pleased they're still going.

Comment

IXth Generation Hidden Files #1 is out next week from Top Cow:

Covers loads of background material for the IXth Generation series, which merges the future world of Aphrodite IX with the long running Artifacts series. Previous issues in the series have been reviewed really well over on CBR: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...review&id=8153

It also happens to have a story written by my partner and I in it, clearly worth the price of entry alone .

Comment

As I'm a big Dark Horse fan, especially their stuff from the 80s and 90s, some of my fav stuff hasn't been mentioned so I'll chime in.

The Adventures of Luther Arkwright - over looked and quite obscure but it won 4 out of the 8 Eagle awards it was nominated for in 1988, it was done by Bryan Talbot who also some some 2000AD writing and it definitely has a 2000AD feel to it. I couldn't recommend this enough, I don't think it's been released as a digital but the full set is on eBay for ?10. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/the-advent...item19fddf1bf3

Star Wars - DH done some very good original star wars stories from Dark Empire to Tales of the Jedi, but the adaptation of Heir to the Empire is amazing. It's a shame Ep VII didn't use Zahn's story, Thrawn is one of the greatest baddies ever written.

Aliens - some of the Aliens stuff is a bit so-so but Vol 1 (Outbreak), Vol 2 (Nightmare Asylum) and Earth War (Earth Hive) are top notch. I'd go for the comics over the TPB as the characters are Hicks and Newt and were later renamed because of Alien 3. Rogue, Hive, Labyrinth, Genocide, Salvation and Sacrifice are also worth a read although Sacrifice does push the boundaries of taste somewhat.

The AvP comics are also actually quite good and are far far better than the turd movies. I suggest Vol. 1 and Eternal.

I haven't read any of the Legend of Mother Sarah but it comes highly spoken of.

Comment

The Batman vs Superman thread and the One Piece's kanji attack got me itching to read some English comics. These past few days I've re-read The Killing Joke and Batman Year Zero.

I'm looking for two more, maybe someone can help. I think they're both short stories:

1) Batman one where he's a big hairy beast who can speak one or two words. I remember a scene where a woman is in a tree with skulls in it that bite her skin off or something. I think she does it to save him.

2) Superman one(pretty sure it's Superman) where Clark gets married and then he fights some guy. They fly into space and then come crashing back down(to Earth, I think) and catch fire. Then they're both dead, one atop the other, and lie like that for many years. Then the evil guy regenerates and walks away while Clark's skeleton remains there. I think his wife got pregnant in the meantime and had a baby.

I've no idea what books I read them in but it was at a library about 15 years ago!

Cheers

Comment

Are these comics you drew yourself?

Comment

If they were I would've posted them on here!

I will find them. I will do everything in my power. They cannot escape me.

Comment

You need to get out of that mansion you keep talking about...Bruce.

Comment

I would, Dick, but this mansion needs me. And I need it. We complete one another. She mansion quivers whenever I gently caress a hand rail while going down. It's a... symbierotic relationship.

Besides, I'm still mulling over my inter-room transportation options. Wakka-mole has already laid claim to the slide idea. Darn that Wakka-mole. Darn him to heck.

Comment

Holy vertical movement devices, Batman! What about a mini bat-log flume??

Comment

With chocolate logs? Clever Dick! That's earned you a night in my bed along with my patented Wayne Industries Bite-proof Pillows(TM).

Back OT, no mention of my strange Batman here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alterna...ions_of_Batman

I'm starting to lose hope.

Comment

I started reading Birthright after some brilliant reviews. After a couple of issues it has a lot of potential. Really cool idea!

Comment

I finished Arkham Asylum today. Crazy. I lost the original one, sadly, and traversing that sumptuous artwork on the iPhone wasn't much fun, but crikey the imagery is haunting.

Comment

I've been reading these (took a while to track them all down in hardcover). Just coming to the end of book six. Alan Moore's writing is incredible.

Comment

Working...
                                X