Recommended graphic novels / comics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by redstar_dan View Post

I was wondering if someone could explain these graded quality cases. I would love to know more about these. Is there a website?

Cheers
    You'll find all the answers here...http://www.cgccomics.com/grading/

The number in the left hand corner ,is the grading the comic received..9.8 is Near Mint/Mint.That's the number the collectors go for,search Ebay and see the difference on price for 9.8 and say a 9.6 ( esp on the Walking Dead)..There are a few 9.9 and even 10's in the market,but you will need deep pockets!!

I had a Walking Dead issue 1 graded at 8.5 and I sold it for ?600 a while back.A 9.8 in this issue will be between 1K -2K nowadays

I use a UK site http://www.wolfcomics.com/cgc-submissions-1312-c.asp to submit mine,take about 12 weeks usually to receive them back,my advise is get key issue's graded, first appearances ,deaths ,movie tie-ins etc etc .Also Batman ,Spidey ,Walking Dead you can't go wrong..If your thinking about collecting or buying these,my advice is do your homework,take your time as this side of comic collecting can be expensive.
    Last edited by garrz32; 22-08-2015, 07:17.

Comment

I've often thought about getting a few of my own comics graded (with CGC), but I never knew that a UK site could help out, so thanks for you knowledge garrrz32.

When I ever buy graded comics, I usually go to mycomicshop on eBay. They have a wide variety, and seem to have competitive pricing.

I remember looking at a CGC 9.8 for New Mutants #98 (first appearance of Deadpool), and baulked at the price of ?90 ish. That was about 2 years ago. Look at the price now.

Comment

@ Super Grover..There are a few shops in the UK that will submit your comics,I prefer Wolfcomics cos they charge only ?30 and that includes postage back to you.

Try www.mycomicshop.com direct instead of through Ebay,their prices are cheaper and they have auctions every couple of months.

I feel your pain pal, everything at the moment seems to be at a premium price..I just picked up Batman 139 (first Batgirl) raw copy,for a good price.Thinking about getting it graded,it's prolly about a 3.5 maybe 4 if am lucky but this comic is rare in any grade.

Comment

It's a case of buying now, or be prepared to pay at least double in a years time, on comics that I've been after.

There are still some bargains to be had I think, but certain key issues (such as your Batman #139) are guaranteed to appreciate over time.

Would like to see your copy, raw or slabbed, if you get chance to take a photo.

Comment

Correctme if I'm wrong, but once that's been done you can't ever read it, right? Doesn't that basically make the comic practically worthless? All you are left with is the cover. In many comics the cover artist is not the same as the strip artist, it is hiding the most important work forever. Can those cases at least be opened without risking damage to the comic inside?

Comment

Yes, no and maybe!

Once sealed, you can't read the comic, unless you 'crack the slab' open.

9 Times out of 10, once a comic is graded, the seller will at least want to recoup the fees associated with the process. However, if we talk about 'key' or 'grail' comics, once they have been graded, the price will invariably skyrocket. This is because they have been 'professionally' graded, and as such, any potential buyers know what condition the comic is in.

You are quite right regarding cover and internal strip artist. Quite often the front cover is done by another artist. Some front covers alone generate huge mark ups in value. An extreme example of this is Wolverine/Deadpool 'cover mashup' variant edition. Cost a few $ to buy. Graded 9.8 goes for circa $2.5k, and still rising! Although a caveat to that is to acknowledge its very limited print run.

Comment

I'm currently reading Secret Wars from back in the '80s. A fantastic line-up and my old favourite X-Men back as I remember them. But the writing is hilariously awful. Every panel is filled with text from a character explaining mid-action exactly what the images should be showing you. They never shut up!

And not a lot makes sense and then the writers lie about it. There is one example right at the start. Doctor Doom instantly comes up with his own approach and it's a pretty great idea. He goes to tell the heroes his plan and then, for pretty much no reason, he attacks them and doesn't tell them his plan. Several pages later (from issue 2), when it recaps (which it does a lot), the narration text says that the heroes attacked Doctor Doom and wouldn't listen to his great plan, which is a flat-out lie.

Stuff just randomly happens and characters come from nowhere and, in all the pages of characters explaining what I already know, they don't seem to mention the stuff that actually needs explaining. It is like it was written by a small child.

And yet I remember loving it back in the day. I was an idiot. Still, great characters and some fun stuff and silliness.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
                  I've often thought about getting a few of my own comics graded (with CGC), but I never knew that a UK site could help out, so thanks for you knowledge garrrz32.

When I ever buy graded comics, I usually go to mycomicshop on eBay. They have a wide variety, and seem to have competitive pricing.

I remember looking at a CGC 9.8 for New Mutants #98 (first appearance of Deadpool), and baulked at the price of ?90 ish. That was about 2 years ago. Look at the price now.
                  Is there anyway you can get down to London next February?
                  On the 20th-21st at the Excel is the London Super Comic Con & CGC will be there themselves taking comics for Grading.

I had 3 done at this years event & including return shipping & insurance it only cost me $90 (think it was $18 per book plus about $40 for shipping) & I had them back in little over 4 weeks after the show.

I didn't get anything golden age done so nothing exciting but next time I'll take a few first appearances with me (Carnage for example) to get them graded.

The ones I had done were these...

Grimm Fairy Tales #100 Elias Chatzoudis Variant Cover (Signed)

Wytches #1 (signed by Scott Snyder)

Outcast #1

Nothing worth much at the moment but Outcast & Wytches have both been picked up for TV so they may go the way of Walking Dead one day so hopefully both will be investment pieces.
                  Grimm is a milestone issue with a nice cover so just fancied getting it done as well
                  I do have copies of all 3 books loose as well which are my reading copies

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post

Nothing worth much at the moment but Outcast & Wytches have both been picked up for TV so they may go the way of Walking Dead one day so hopefully both will be investment pieces.
                    Grimm is a milestone issue with a nice cover so just fancied getting it done as well
                    I do have copies of all 3 books loose as well which are my reading copies

Neil

Nice copy of Grimm Neil...I have 9.8 of Outcast as well..I can't see it be as valuable as WD though

TWD #1 had a pretty low print,#2 had even less..Can't imagine how many issues they printed for Outcast,hell,prolly more than they could sell.I hope am wrong though

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by garrz32 View Post
                        Nice copy of Grimm Neil...I have 9.8 of Outcast as well..I can't see it be as valuable as WD though

TWD #1 had a pretty low print,#2 had even less..Can't imagine how many issues they printed for Outcast,hell,prolly more than they could sell.I hope am wrong though

Thanks man

I also got the wrap around cover

I do get carried away with GFT & buy too many simply based on the covers...I'm an utter sucker for the pin up stuff they do lol

Yeah I doubt we'll see WD prices for Outcast but even a fraction would be nice in the future

Definitely plan on getting more done in the future

Neil

Comment

Is there any value in grading graphic novels?

Comment

Originally posted by redstar_dan View Post
                            Is there any value in grading graphic novels?
                            Not that I'm aware of but I could be wrong

Comment

@ Super Grover...My copy of Batman

Also have these...Was chuffed when Marvel Secret Wars came back 9.2.(signed Stan Lee)

But gutted when Chew only got a 9.4 ..I see there is a couple of spine ticks in the comic,I might crack it open and get them pressed out ,then get it graded in the future..

Chew's a great read and would urge anyone who hasn't read it to do so..

Comment

I hate to be crude, but how much are they worth? I have no idea!

I like the Venom origin issue signed by Stan Lee, that's fantastic!

Comment

Working...
                                X