No announcement yet.

Recommended graphic novels / comics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only read the Dredd stories from each copy as I receive it each week, and then wait for the others to finish before reading every episode in one whole whack. So I haven't started on Bad Company yet. Looking forward to it though.

Of recent 2000AD stuff, I was really impressed by Helium (the latest from Edgington/D'israeli). I am very lukewarm on Brass Sun (also by Edgington) so I wasn't convinced at the start, but Helium is pure awesome. Can't wait for its return.

Comment

Been reading Saga. Fantastic!

Comment

My fav 2000ad story was leviathan ...best way i can describe is titanic meets lost with a bit of horror thrown in

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
          Been reading Saga. Fantastic!
          Which volume are you up to?

Comment

About to read chapter 11 of volume 2

Comment

It's quality all the way up to the end of the current Volume 5 tpb. The tone and pace changes somewhat in volumes 3 to 5, but it's still very engaging.

Comment

I'm more a reader of manga but over the years I've read a few "western" graphic novels I've enjoied

Maus - read the first volume when I was about 13 and didn't know/ read the second half until I was almost 20. Brilliant if very depressingly real, raw and challenging book. Really quite graphic tale of Auschwitz as well as the author's relationship with his father

Persepolis - Read this just before the film came out. Great book about a part of history I hardly know anything about through the eyes of someone who lived it.

1602 - great Marvel comic set in the year of the book. Picked up for a quid randomly from a charity shop along with...

House of M - I have never really read any Marvel comics, watched the cartoons but this was the first I ever read a few years ago. A good story.

The Tale of One Bad Rat - a comic drawn from life and photos of real places about a victim of child abuse who somehow finds herself following the footsteps of her favorite author Beatrix Potter. Rather dark subject but an interesting read and, from someone who has visited some of the locations featured in the book, very well drawn!

Current read - The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl - Just finished the first collected volume of this (vol 1-4) Genuinely very witty and fun. Love Squirrel girl and Tippy Toe!

Comment

I should read some Squirrel Girl because she's one of those joke characters that seems to beat everyone she fights including Doctor Doom, Hulk, M.O.D.O.K. and Thanos.

Comment

Recent pick ups. Will be reading Saga first

Comment

Just finished the first arc (5 issues) of Sons of the Devil & it's been brilliant.
                      Well worth picking up.
                      Second arc (Issue 6) doesn't start until next year so the break is going to kill me but it's been one of my best series of recent times & looking forward to how it goes next time.

It was originally a Kickstarter that got picked up by Image & has a run of intro videos that are on YouTube that build up to issue 1 of the comic

I recommend it to anyone after something a bit different

From New York Times bestselling writer BRIAN BUCCELLATO and artist TONI INFANTE comes a psychological horror story about TRAVIS, an average guy trying to get by, who discovers that he has familial ties to a deadly cult. Told across three decades, SONS OF THE DEVIL is an exploration of cults,…

Neil

Comment

Started Saga over the weekend and I'm loving every moment. Excellent stuff. Proper top drawer sci-fi.

Comment

First two volumes are the best so enjoy :-)

Comment

I'm on to vol 5 now and still love it.

Comment

Oh yeah, it's still superb. I'm toying with the idea of buying the next issue of the comic, but to be honest, I think only having a bite-sized chunk rather than a full six issues available at once would drive me round the bend.

Comment

Currently reading Marvel Essential Fantastic Four Vol 1. A comic of purity from a different era.

Also bought FF Vol 2, The Autumnlands Vol 1 (Busiek/Dewey), Outcast (Kirkman/Azaceta) and Wytches (Snyder).

Comment

Working...
                                X