Recommended graphic novels / comics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post

Gotta love those old style covers - `Among us hide the Inhumans`.

They're right there! Behind you!

Comment

New comic arrivals for me today...

Some Beta Ray bill goodness

Godhunter 1-3 (Complete arc) & Secret invasion one shot
      Got them for under ?9 delivered which is a result as the TPB is over ?20 used on Amazon.

Just trying to get Stormbreker now but the TPB is pricey as well so trying to socre the individual issues again

Neil

Comment

I've been trying a few digital comics. Subscribed to 2000AD on my iPad and I'm really glad I did. Three months of free back issues for one thing but the main thing is that the stories seem to be generally excellent. I'll admit I wasn't sure they would be - it has been years (like almost 20) since I read anything new from 2000AD and the world is very different so I kind of expected it to be a shadow of its former self but, aside from the art being really varied in quality, it's excellent. The Dredd stories in particular are really good. And a new ABC Warriors story starts today. I'm well out of touch though - there's a new line-up, some of whom I don't know at all.

Beyond that, I wanted to try some Hulk and I had heard that Planet Hulk was good. So I bought the Prelude to Planet Hulk and found it to be pretty terrible. Basic, poorly-paced and very talky story with very little meat and really bad artwork. However, after a while, I decided to go onto the main Planet Hulk story anyway and I'm glad I did. Just getting into it now but it is much, much better. The Prelude really didn't do it any favours at all.

Comment

Once you've read Planet Hulk make sure you read World War Hulk as well, it's not as good as planet but still worth picking up.

If I can find my copy you'd be welcome to borrow it.

Neil

Comment

You're a true gent, sir! I may just buy it digitally but I really appreciate the offer.

Comment

After watching Dredd at the cinema, which I enjoyed, I've toyed with the idea of getting 2000AD, but I would prefer to pick up physical copies.

DT, can you put up the link to the deal that you have subscribed to? Sounds like a good offer you got there.

Neil, interested to hear your thoughts on Godhunter once you have read it. Is BRB putting the smack down on Galactus on one of those covers?!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                You're a true gent, sir! I may just buy it digitally but I really appreciate the offer.
                No worries buddy happy to share the wealth
                Just need to find it first...think it's in storage with a lot of my other comics, might have a look at the weekend if I can...fancy reading it again now

After watching Dredd at the cinema, which I enjoyed, I've toyed with the idea of getting 2000AD, but I would prefer to pick up physical copies.

DT, can you put up the link to the deal that you have subscribed to? Sounds like a good offer you got there.

Neil, interested to hear your thoughts on Godhunter once you have read it. Is BRB putting the smack down on Galactus on one of those covers?!
                2000AD is a massive universe to try & get involved in these days.
                I'd recommend concetrating on one or 2 characters & running through them.
                I was always a massive fan of Rogue Trooper & Nemesis the Warlock (Along with the ABC Warriors)
                One Day I'll get the GN's dug out & re-read them
                Strontium Dog was great as well.
                I never really got into Dredd or Slaine though.

If you fancy a modern series from 2000AD see if you can pick up the ABC Warriors series Volgan War that's been pretty sweet but early volumes are gettign expensive now.

As soon as I've read Godhunter I'll let you know.
                That is indeed Galactus & was actually one of the reasons it piqued my interest so much (aside from BRB being an amazing character) anybody who fancies laying the smacketh down on Galactus is a must read

Neil

Comment

It's the main deal in the iOS Newstand app though it breaks down in different ways. Info about it is here - http://www.2000adonline.com/news/06-..._on_your_ipad/

Soundwave is right that it is a huge universe at this stage but, having not read it in years, it was about the same as coming at it fresh for me - aside from Dredd, I knew almost none of the stories as they were all new. And those that aren't (a new ABC Warriors story started today) have moved on so much that my prior knowledge doesn't help. But the stories are quite short runs so, very quickly, you get a full story from start to finish and the longer overarching stuff I find I'm picking up as I go along already. So I think it is pretty easy to get into the weekly at the moment. The great thing about the weekly is the multiple stories actually. It means if there's one you don't like, there's some you will but also it means you get introduced to stories you otherwise might not have bothered with. At least it always worked that way for me.

But as Soundwave says, there's also the option of picking a fave and buying the collections. The Dredd collections are great, although I'd advise jumping in maybe around volume 5 or 6, when the story had really developed, and then picking up others if you like them. Nemesis has its complete story available from start to finish in just three chunky volumes. That one starts out very simple and then gets better and better and better.

Strontium Dog is a popular one too and I loved it in the day. Oddly, I bought the first two complete volumes and haven't yet finished them. It doesn't hold me the way it once did.

Loads more to recommend but if you were looking for a fairly small story to start with, I don't think I could recommend a better story than Bad Company. It's available as a collected volume with the main first and second story (and third but that wasn't great). Those first two Bad Company stories are fantastic. A futuristic war story that really just chronicles how much one person can change and it's filled with some totally kick-ass characters. Some really great moments in it and I find I never tire of rereading it.

Comment

Nice summary there DT, thanks.

Noticed that prog 1800 is now out, which they say is a good jump on point for new readers.

I'll be picking that up this weekend to see if I can get into it (a physical copy that is).

Comment

I don't know why I always forget about Bad Company that is one of the best 2000AD stories I ever read...I used to love 2000AD back in the day.
                      Think I might start picking up the Rogue Trooper collecteds again.

Anyway today had some more new arrivals...More Beta Ray Bill goodness

Stormbreaker issues 1-6 full arc

Not the best condition...they have been well read but for ?10 delivered I couldn't pass them up

Looking forward to getting started on them.

Neil

Comment

Yes, Bad Company is absolutely awesome. At least, the first two stories were. There was a third (Kano) that really wasn't all that great. I've only recently learned there were more stories since then and so I've ordered the complete collection to find out if they are any good. It does mean I'll have a spare copy of Goodbye Krool World, which collects the first two excellent stories, if anyone wants it.

Zenith was another great one back in the day - a superhero one. But seemingly there are some rights issues and no reprints.

Today, this arrived for me -

Rather than being a general art book, it's a retrospective of the Dredd 2000AD covers over the years. The art is really varied, some great some not so great but most have something interesting to offer. Many I know well from the old days. What's good about the book is that it has little comments from those involved in the covers and they're pretty interesting. A nice book.

Also got the Dredd Complete Case Files volume 3. For some reason, I was missing that one. That's 1-9 I have now but I think they go up to 20 now. Volume 3 features the very first Judge Death appearance, which is pretty good. Hard to see Judge Death fitting in the movie universe they've now established.

Loving Planet Hulk. I'm taking my time through it but it's really strong. I really like the sort of fantasy feel it has. Weirdly reminds me of Planet of the Apes. Just that sort of world.

Comment

Nice pick up on the Art of Dredd that looks pretty sweet.

I didn't realise there were more Bad Company either, just been looking on Ebay & Forbidden Planet & seen the complete book you ordered looks good.

Glad to hear you are enjoying Planet Hulk, it is a great read.
                          Once you are doing I could recommend the Animated version it's pretty good in it's own right & worth seeing, I can lend you the Blu-Ray if you fancy it.

Neil

Comment

Has anyone here ever sold comics? I`ve been collecting for the past 25 years and have quite a few! I looked at selling on ebay. Ebay is ok because I can get an idea of the value (though they go for MUCH more if they`ve been professionally graded). But any tips on the least destructive way to send comics in the post?!

Or, to save me making potentially hundreds of trips to the post office, has anyone ever sold in bulk to a shop or something?

Comment

Originally posted by hoyteamx View Post
                              Has anyone here ever sold comics? I`ve been collecting for the past 25 years and have quite a few! I looked at selling on ebay. Ebay is ok because I can get an idea of the value (though they go for MUCH more if they`ve been professionally graded). But any tips on the least destructive way to send comics in the post?!

Or, to save me making potentially hundreds of trips to the post office, has anyone ever sold in bulk to a shop or something?
                              Easiest way to post them is in a jiffy bag. Before you place the comic inside, cut 2 pieces of cardboard the same size as the comic, and then sandwich the comic between the 2 pieces. I've received most of mine this way, and they have all arrived without any damage.

I would recommend that you fish out all your Issue #1's, first appearances, major moments etc etc, and put those up first. For the rest of your collection, it's probably easier to job lots. There are a few shops on ebay that buy collections. One off the top of my head is silver-acre, which is based in Chester (literally down the road from me). I would imagine you won't get too much for them, so perhaps a visit to your LCS to see if they are interested?

Here's my latest pick-ups.

I have high hopes for Ant-Man (even tho' the series was cancelled after 12 issues!).

I'm going sub-atomic!

Got a few more less known characters/teams comics to come through the post, and then that's pretty much it. Need too start reading them now.

Comment

Easiest way to post them is in a jiffy bag. Before you place the comic inside, cut 2 pieces of cardboard the same size as the comic, and then sandwich the comic between the 2 pieces. I've received most of mine this way, and they have all arrived without any damage.

I would recommend that you fish out all your Issue #1's, first appearances, major moments etc etc, and put those up first. For the rest of your collection, it's probably easier to job lots. There are a few shops on ebay that buy collections. One off the top of my head is silver-acre, which is based in Chester (literally down the road from me). I would imagine you won't get too much for them, so perhaps a visit to your LCS to see if they are interested?
                                Thanks! Will do that regarding the jiffy bag. I`m currently fishing out the specials and I`ll have to ask in the local stores. I`m not too far from London so there are a few around. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                                X