Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on decent house contents insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on decent house contents insurance?

Hi,

my bank has recently been bugging the hell out of me to get contents insurance with them, and the quote they gave me was around ?30 a month. I found out a friend is paying just ?3.50 a month, but his area is probably less prone to crime than mine (just down the road lol).

The bank is trying to get me to take unlimited cover but my mate has like ?200 K cover, he said that's more than enough. He's married with kids so I have less belongings than him, also.

Again, with the bank's hard sell the lady said if I got capped cover, there's a chance I wouldn't be able to replace all my belongings at market value.

I googled it and apparently new for old cover is also steeper.

Please advise, this is doing my head in.

200K for ?3.50? Bloody hell. Why not just ask who he's with and go with them? You're never getting a better deal than that. I can't even believe it's true.

Comment

Yeah... I can't believe that either. I actually get contents insurance as part of my mortgage agreement, and managed to keep the monthly payments the same ever since taking the mortgage out, even though the value has decreased for increased premiums since. I think I pay about 10 quid a month for 40k cover.
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Hmm, he's quite old so maybe he could the figures a bit wrong. LOL.

But he was very certain that my bank was trying to rip me off. Hmmm.

Comment

I'm with esure and got loads of cashback.
          But ?3.50 is nothing - I'd be scared when it came to claim time

Comment

It's almost too cheap

Then again, ?30 for contents only sounds pricey. My buildings and content is ?35 a month.

New for old is worth considering, but also be careful about maximum single item value - ?3.50 for ?250K may well be true, but if the maximum claim for per item is a fiver, you're going to need a house full of more crap than a burglar or act of god can possibly destroy.

Comment

Does anyone know of a good price comparison site like with car insurance?

Is it worth the extra costs for the 'new for old' policies?

Maybe he meant 3.50 a week, I dunno, I should have pressed him on it. Won't see him now till next week.

MartyG, thanks for the maximum per item thing, it's stuff like that I need to know.

Also, a site mentioned that computers aren't covered under a lot of deals??? Is that true, that it's extra?

What about my games, films, magazines, comics, music?

Comment

You can get a quid cashback if you do a compare on confused.com via quidco. Get your quotes, then get quidco on the actual insurance as well.

Comment

I never used Quidco, are they reliable?

How do companies offer cashback these days also, years ago lots of my friends got stung on the mobile contract cashbacks via cheque.

Comment

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate them.

Comment

Working...
                      X