Sorting out my Bicycle Gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorting out my Bicycle Gears

Right i'm having problems with a bike i picked up used, whenever i pedal it goes slack and sounds like its trying to change gears. They are shimano, read somewhere i will need to adjust them as from what i read it sounds like they might be too slack. Any tips?

If you really want to give them a full overhaul;

This article will discuss the overhaul of rear derailleurs and pulleys.

If you just want to adjust tensions etc;

The article will discuss adjustment of rear derailleur limit screws and indexing.

Also good guides on bikeradar and sheldon browns websites. When I got my bike I followed a mishmash of bikeradar and park tools guides and between them both managed to figure out how to get them spot on.

Comment

Thanks for the links charlaph, they greatly helped.

Think i worked out what the problem is. Think i have a dodgy link on my chain, everytime it goes through it sounds like its trying to change gear, anyone know how do i go about sorting this out.

EDIT: Doesn't matter, sorted it. The link just needed some extra lovin' lube.
      Last edited by SuperBeatBoy; 11-07-2011, 16:31.

Comment

Everything sorted now. But could do with a new seat, my current one feels like a slab of concrete between my gooch. Can anyone recommend me a comfy replacement?

Comment

Sorry to crash the thread, but a quick question. Is losing a single spoke on a mountain bike wheel a bad thing (when it's used for normal cycling), also can single spoken be replaced?

Comment

@Zero - I bought a Brookes leather saddle about 20 years ago. Never looked back!

@GT - You want to replace that spoke asap. Yes it can be replaced. My local bike shop charged me ?12 for two replacement spokes + an inner tube. Doing it yourself can be tricky.

Also, once 1 spoke has gone - in my experience - it can set off a chain reaction. If others start failing you may want to look at replacing the wheel. This happened to my hybrid recently. I have to load the panniers up a fair bit on the back and the wheel just couldn't take it really so I got a stronger replacement with more spokes. Horror story over! It's entirely likely you'll get that one spoke fixed and it'll be fine for years!

Comment

Thanks for the info, I left the bike at home today as I didn't want a wheel failure at 30mph. Will try to get it fixed at the weekend.

Comment

Might have to look into that saddle.

Also need to realign my gears and replace brake leavers and disc brake pads.

Comment

Ordered this off Amazon. Looks decent.

Comment

Bah, always coming across new problems with this bike. Now the rear wheel is wobbly/shaky, I'm guessing its something to do with the bearings.... can it be fixed?

Comment

If you have a cup and cone type they can be adjusted. Probably worth a google for an easy to follow guide.

Comment

What does a cup and cone one look like?

Comment

This:

Tools and techniques for adjusting bicycle wheel bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero9X View Post
                            What does a cup and cone one look like?
                            Originally posted by smouty View Post
                            Probably worth a google for an easy to follow guide.
                            For those that find it easier to ask questions on a forum than use google - http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cone+and+cup+bearing

BTW it look like some cones shaped things and also some cups shaped things

Comment

Working...
                            X