No announcement yet.

The Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to hear that, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Yes, get on to the place who serviced the bike, was it the place you bought it from ?

was this a few weeks after buying free checkup, why would they mess with the front gears unless you had said there was a problem with it.

Comment

yeah same place i got it. it was a free checkup, the guy said he adjusted the gears. so dont know if he messed withe derailleur or what. will have to take it down when i can, my brother has a van so will have to wait till hes free.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
        Integrated rear lamp! Those mudguards are serious. NOTHING is getting past those
        Is that a leather saddle?
        Ideal for commuting! Nothing worse than a wet arse/back on the way to work. Yep it's a leather saddle, luxury!

(I think the rear 'lamp' is just a reflector - I've not paid too much attention to it!)
        Last edited by Ginger Tosser; 29-05-2012, 11:38.

Comment

SBB: yikes. Hope you are ok...

A bit late now, but maybe useful for everyone else. Every time before I ride my bike (and I mean EVERY time), I do the "drop test".
          Pick up either end of the bike a coupleof inches and let it bounce. Repeat for other end. If you have fork lockout, then lock it out first when doing the front end. Then both at once.

Listen for odd noises. Clunking might be loose quick release (!!!) or wheel bearings going. Clattering might be bits coming loose like brake calipers. Vibrating from the front end is normally loose headset.

It should be quite easy to identify good and bad noises. Good noises will mainly be chain slapping about a reasonable amount or cables slapping against the frame gently. Anything else is bad!

Comment

Yesssss. The missus said we could treat myself to a new bike!

I've got around ?300-?350 for a new bike. What do you recommend?

I went to halfords today and was looking at this:

and this:

But I dunno if I like the idea of giving halfords my money if I can help it, but they're ready to buy now.

I'd push to buying this one but my local store doesn't have it and being without a car at the minute means I'm limited to where I can go.

Comment

from those you have selected the Carrera Vulcan if you are allowed to spend that much would be better due to the hydraulic disc brakes and front fork lockout.

depends on what you want to do on the bike, i've recently bought a bike and wanted to ride trails etc.

Charlesr, is your man for advice, he helped me decide on what to buy and i'm sure would give his thoughts on those bikes or suggest others.

Comment

OK Thanks.

I've just found this site that has loads.

I like this http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Merida-Matts...-MTB_51471.htm
                Last edited by MarioMark; 29-05-2012, 20:32.

Comment

While removing the front wheel earlier a long like pin fell out of the bottom of one of the suspension forks. I've tightened it up. Just wondering what it is, can anyone elaborate.

Comment

Your bike sounds like a deathtrap. It sounds like what stops the forks falling off the stanchions. One on each leg?

Comment

I think so. Didn't have time to look what with only having the use of one arm. It's a rock shox recon if that helps.

Comment

Mariomark:

Any of those Carreras (8 speed) will be better than that Merida (7 speed - pretty much throwning your money away).
                        The Vulcan would be a great bet if you can find one - better frame, better brakes.

Make sure you get the right size. Sit on one of them. Do you really need a 20"? i.e. are you 6' tall?

Negotiate at purchase time for things like pedals (are they nasty plastic things? difficult to tell in the pics) and saddle upgrades (if it doesn't feel right for your arse size), mini pump etc., although if you have decent ones on your old bike then maybe you don't need to.

Comment

Think I know what they are quick release skewers, for what I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBeatBoy View Post
                            I think so. Didn't have time to look what with only having the use of one arm. It's a rock shox recon if that helps.
                            Oh hang on! Not a giant long pin? But a short allen key about 3 inches? Don't put that back on!!!!! Stick it somewhere safe. That's for adjusting the rebound damping It's not meant to live in the fork.

Make sure you try adjusting it - it will make a massive difference in corners.

Cound the clicks (or turns if it doesn't click) from one end to the other, then set to mid point and work from there. The side of the fork should have a sticker on that tells you which way for faster or slower rebound.

Slower rebound means it won't bounce back in your face over roots which is good. But it will cope less well with very fast repetitive bumps. You won't find one position that works everywhere, so just find one that works in most situations.
                            Last edited by charlesr; 29-05-2012, 21:03.

Comment

I think the guy showed me that, didn't see him take it out mind. He set it to a decent amount. So I take it you turn it to where you want it and then remove it for safe keeping?

Comment

Absolutely. He shouldn't have left it in there. He should have handed it to you and said "look after this". If left in the fork it will just rattle free and disappear on the trail forever.

Comment

Working...
                                X