No announcement yet.

The Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike thefts piss me off so much, little ****s We often leave our bikes chained up outside the local after a ride, but I'm sure one day some idiot is going to make an attempt.

I bought my first roadbike today (on the cycle scheme)! Been researching for months on the Internet not getting anywhere, but ended liking the comfort of buying from a local shop rather than somewhere like Wiggle. Opted for a Giant Defy 1 2014, which seems to be getting good reviews. ?999.99, on the scheme that comes down to ?670ish, which seems like a great deal.

Incidentally, when did ?1000 equal 'entry level'?

Comment

right people how do you store your bikes, i live in a terrace house with not much space indoors, i used to store the bike in the cellar but it was a real pain getting it in and out and scratched the walls and the bike, a snapped mudguard and a near miss convinced me to store it outside, on a chain. ive been looking round as i really don't want to go back to cellar storage.

a single chain isnt secure enough so i was thinking about a small shed or storage box an anchor and a dlock, with the idea of making it a lot more time consuming and awkward to get at, I only have a really small yard which already has a playhouse so space is an issue, this thing

at first seemed ideal and not bank breaking at around ?150, its large enough for a couple of bikes and it will keep the elements off, but reviews are not great, has anyone got anything similar?

it seems there's nothing else like it out there, at a reasonable price, you then jump to the ?500-600 mark for metal sheds of this size that are specialty bike stores, but even there not that secure as they only have the option of using one lock.
      Last edited by Lebowski; 02-05-2014, 11:23.

Comment

We're in a terrace too, I've got one of these plastic sheds which I think is great - ours is a slightly different design as it's a few years old;

The lock I've got for it isn't meaty and you could probably break in with little more than a box of matches but it's what's inside that counts. The bike is chained up as previously said and also I'm going to get a ground anchor and chain from these guys as they do pretty much the best kit;

Take a look at the insurance, it notes the shed bit on the front page...
        Ethical insurance for cyclists and their bicycles, from bike theft to accidental damage. Fully comprehensive cycle insurance cover from ETA.

For extra security you can get wireless alarms and recorders for outbuildings now.

Comment

If you are handy with the saw and drill you could probably build something to keep the bikes in ?

locks wise a heavy duty chain ideally over 15mm diameter will deter thieves as they are hard to cut through with boltcutters.

Comment

When I lived in a terrace with no rear access, I bought a Brompton.

Comment

Originally posted by wod View Post
              If you are handy with the saw and drill you could probably build something to keep the bikes in ?

locks wise a heavy duty chain ideally over 15mm diameter will deter thieves as they are hard to cut through with boltcutters.
              Aye, the link I posted above sells 19mm chains - that'll do for me.

Comment

Taking part in a charity event ride to Paris in July.
                info - http://www.justgiving.com/paul-gilbert15
                Please feel free to drop a few pennies if you feel so inclined.

(any advise on distance riding as well please - I already invested in some Chapeau!)

Comment

Done!

Sorry can't advise on road riding. And my off road distance rides were before kids (7 hours across Pyrenees etc).

Comment

The Bicycle Thread

I ride on road but only to work and back though.

Have you started doing some training miles and see how you get on with long distance.

Make sure you get a decent seat and maybe some padded shorts/leggings weather dependant you'll be thankful of them at the end of each day.

Charlesr, have you ever been up Scotland riding off road, I wanna get up to fort William some time looks great for all day riding.
                    Last edited by wod; 08-05-2014, 19:16.

Comment

Cheers Charlesr very generous of you :-)

Wod
                      Yea I`ve been doing a minimum of 20 miles each day to and from work. Last Sunday I did 50 miles and felt fine with an average speed of 16mph over all. I`ve been moving the saddle a little each time, I`m almost comfortable! lol

I`ll keep you all posted.
                      Thanks again

Comment

For sure a chamoix bottoms :-) I don't wear mine for the commmute because I like to give them a wash in between used but this won't be a commute, eh?

The biggest bit of advice is not to change anything or add something new to the bike or wear new clothing without some good miles before the event.

And enjoy and let us know how you get on.

Comment

big box turned up-today

and this was inside Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 2014

the 29inch wheels really make a difference and help keep speed and make it a lot easier to go over bumps and uneven ground i took it down into the parks and around the woods with my little boy yesterday after he finished school and so far I'm very impressed.

I've got it in an alarmed shed on a d-lock and motorbike chain anchored to the floor via a massive steel anchor. hopefully this will keep the thieves at bay. I also take the front wheel off and put it in the house so its less easy to ride off on, do you think this is enough security? any one do anything else to keep the thieves at bay.

Comment

Looks cool. Are the pedals plastic though? If so, that would be your first upgrade.

Comment

Just wait til the plastic ones fall off i.e. order some for next day delivery right now!

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                                Looks cool. Are the pedals plastic though? If so, that would be your first upgrade.
                                I wonder what your opinions on plastic chainsets are..

Comment

Working...
                                X