No announcement yet.

The Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carrera are a lot better now than they used to be. Not tried one mind, but reviews suggest they are ok.

Comment

Somehow got roped into helping out with the Beavers cycling badge tonight, i have to take 10 kids on a cycle aged between 6 and 7, now do i take them on a gentle ride round the park or take them up into the woods for a bit of a challenge kind of worried about injuring them.

Comment

Wheelies and skids!

http://www1.skysports.com/skycycling << win stuff

Comment

Took kids round park but it ended in Disaster, one lad went head first over his handle bars landing on his chin have taken kids round park a million times and it's all pretty sedate so not sure how he did it, busted lip, split chin blood everywhere feel proper bad, not my fault but really gutted a child was injured on the bike ride

Comment

It won't make you feel any better, but first time I took a bunch of kids on the DH track, one of them thought he knew it all and fired off down the hill and failed to make the first turn, going straight over the berm and into a tree. Hospital.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
              Here's the race I did. Practice in the day, race at night, beer at the finish line:
              I want to have a bash at that next year (do they have an over 40 section lol)

Comment

They didn't, but their daytime enduro does. You need to follow their facebook feed though. The night one sold out in 3 days.

Comment

Cheers charlesr I`ll take a look.

Well tomorrow is the day I set off on my ride from Chichester to Paris with some friends and workmates.
                  The aim is to raise money for the Chichester Families Diabetes Group at Chichester Hospital.
                  The target was to raise ?5,000.00 but as of today we have raised ?6,899.53!

I know a few people on here have made some very generous donations. Thank you all so very much.
                  If you'd like to donate or know more our giving page is - https://www.justgiving.com/teams/CFDG if you'd to donate to me and don't already know, I`m Paul :-)

Once again Thanks to all.
                  And I`ll post some pictures when we get back.
                  Last edited by huxley; 09-07-2014, 21:29. Reason: oopsy

Comment

Russ isn't pulling his weight in the fund raising. You all had to carry him. I hope that doesn't happen in the ride too
                    Donated

Comment

Hmm seems this thread gone quiet, guess the cycling bug has dropped off after the Tour de France has been n gone.

Charlesr, have you done any more enduro events recently?

Comment

Not done any races, but have been out riding on the enduro trails in the daytime - crazy the speeds we hit at night. Almost as fast. Also, the company I work with is paying me and Lucy to go to Lake Tahoe at the end of the month. The gondola next to the hotel is free and the bike hire does Trek Remedy, so mostly my views will look like this: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=la...g&ved=0CEEQsAQ

and this:

Last edited by charlesr; 13-09-2014, 23:50.

Comment

Charlesr, have you seen these lights, be good for you in those night races you have done

I'm tempted to buy one at only 15 pound, will be far too bright for road use though.

I currently have two bar mounted XML t6 lights for off road use.

Comment

Amazing value! However, I'm happy with the lights I have (one on bar, one on helmet) - even flat out, I didn't need more. Get one and tell us!

IMG_20140925_225239 by charlesrodmell, on Flickr

Lots more bike (and other) pics from the Tahoe here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/350931...7648269930092/

We hired some Specialized Stumpjumpers - incredible value $60 for 24hr including saddle bag with tools, inner tubes, patches and compressed air. They set the suspension up and let us use our own pedals. The bikes were in decent condition for a hire bike, well maintained. I had the evo29, but to be honest, whilst it did the job, I don't think I'd recommend it. I kept on snagging the wheels on gaps/rocks that I would have avoided on my bike and the whole thing felt daftly large, even though it was the correct size for me. Maybe if the trails had been faster (they were extremely technical) they would have made more sense. The 3 stage spring loaded dropper post was terrifying - I almost lost my jewels a few times.

Lucy had the rumour comp and loved it. The suspension seemed more responsive than on mine too (maybe the women's bikes get used less) when I had a quick go. She's used to an ancient Hardrock so found the modern suspension a revelation and the 29er wheels worked for her. They were incredibly close to her pedals though - lucky she was clipped in otherwise I reckon it could have been snagged!

Brakes were US style (left for front brake) which was interesting - I took the method of always putting both on a little bit which then gave me a fraction of a second to remember which was which and let go of the one I didn't need.

Comment

I will once dark nights arrive, I wanna try a xc ride home from work in dark 13.5miles.

Looks good watch out for those cliff edges.

I've never ridden a 29er but not convinced anyway on wheel size, maybe an advantage for xc racers etc but trail riders and downhill riding i think it's too big a wheel size plus people have said about wheel flex going into turns which doesn't sound good.

Talking of brakes, I've replaced the brakes on my hardtail with deore xt ones and they are excellent just need to get the cables shortened as they are supplied way too long.

Stock pads are a bit rubbish, gonna order at some point some uberbike race matrix as not convinced on superstar pads after a load of trouble I had with them.

People 3 mile away could here me coming with all the squealing that happened [emoji1]

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X