No announcement yet.

The Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking at trying tubeless as well, those stans no tubes kits look straight forward, watch the vids on YouTube.

Another upgrade you could do is get rid of the front mech and fit a narrow/wide chain ring and rear cassette expander 40 or 42t.

Comment

Stand is where I'm going with mine
      although there is a very good vid on how to go get to style for cheaper

I also changed to 1x10 from a 3x10 as I don't use the small or big chain ring
      had to go narrow/wide as the chain dropped after going up a kerb or 2
      have to say though the narrow/wide is awesome chain hasn't dropped once after some serious abuse on the tracks
      Went 760mm for bars also so a few upgrades

narrow wide was from superstar components 32tooth, fantstic value once again from superstar

next purchase is a new camelbak (or a camelbalk) as I have that ain't lol. Just need something where I can actually put some gear in as the 2
      I have are hydration only with space for nothing bigger than a mars bar lol (no lies)

Comment

The Bicycle Thread

If you have one of the newer deore xt or slx rear d?railleurs then put the clutch on, this will keep the chain tighter.

You did shorten the chain when you fitted the narrow wide chain ring?

760 bars are too wide for me 720-40 are better.

Comment

I Didn't shorten the chain when I went 1x10 chain length is fine still no dropped chain after another punishing ride

We had another fantastic ride at hamsterly forest yesterday it has some great sections plenty of jumps, speed and smile inducing fun
          even after a major crash, is it wasn't for my full face helmet which took the major impact I would of had a broken cheekbone at the least.
          got up dusted myself off and carried on. It was only later that I have an aching shoulder, hip and elbow but that's mtb
          full body armour is next on the list
          I only just got the full face and have used it on 4 outings, saved me for sure
          gonna order a bell super r 2 as its down to ?97 ATM which has the detachable chin guard so I can detach if I just want a normal helmet

converted to tubeless setup during the week I can feel a huge difference in how it rolls, feels much smoother can run lower psi plus added bonus of virtually no more normal punctures. It up there with the dropper post as the best upgrade Iv done to my bike why I didn't do it years ago Lord knows

Comment

I know it sounds a bit mad, but I seem to prefer this slightly colder September weather. Dry, sunny September rides just have a certain something about them.

Downhill World champs is on today on Redbull TV for free.

It will be Epic.

Comment

Yeah it has been nice so far still warm but cooler so no need for jackets yet.

It was epic just been watching it, was hoping for ratboy to win it.

Those Santa Cruz v10s are rather nice bikes.

Next up is redbull hardline 12-13th September in Wales.

Comment

Took my old bike over for the wife to use but spent some money on upgrading servicing.

Fork - from the old spongy Suntour to rigid
                KMC chain
                Smart SAM 1.9's give a nice ride but not as wide as full mountain 2.2's etc
                Bottom bracket
                XT brake blocks
                Front mech
                Outer chainring with guard
                Pedals - from my new bike
                Cube bikestand

Rounded off with a couple of Knog blinder lights.

It rides really well, the balance is much better now the old weighty fork has been replaced.

Comment

Anyone interested in a pair of fox sergeant shorts in Camo
                  bought them a year or so ago and never wore them from CRC
                  size 34 but fit more like a 33 tbh so have never worn them can put them in the sale section if needed

Comment

Bell super 2r helmet turned up today
                    man this is a fantastic helmet full face, detachable chin guard and super lightweight
                    cant wait to try it out fully at glentress at the end of the month
                    nice fox long sleeve top came aswell

Comment

pics of the helmet on you please Am interested in a helmet with a chinguard.

Comment

I could be interested in the shorts, although i am a 32 and hate things baggy.

Comment

Tried the Trek X-Caliber 7 at Coed Y Brenin. It could have done with a clutch mech to quieten things, but considering the harshness of the trails (essentially cut rock for miles), it coped with the downhills very well. Always felt fun. Considering I was on unknown trails in the dark, it managed to avoid everything and I was managing to keep the local guide in sight who was on a Remedy.

On the uphills, the weight was tragic and made me feel horribly unfit. The 650 wheels that felt so good on the way down were too heavy to get going. The geometry was also set for me to feel too far back to enjoy the climbs sat down. I read just now that if you flip the stem it helps with the uphills, but I imagine that would prevent the downhills being so fun.

So, all a bit of a compromise, but to be expected at that price.

Comment

The main reason I was at Coed Y Brenin was to test the Led Lenser XEO19R - top of the range headlamp. I mounted it on my helmet, with the battery pack in my camelbak and it was pretty amazing compared to my current light. Double LEDs with independent beam adjusters and adjusts brightness according to speed (if you want). Claimed 2000 lumens. So much better quality than my chinese import, for example it has inbuilt clips to stop cables from unplugging - darkness at 30mph down a hill is not funny. The battery pack can also be used to charge phones etc (usb). 400hr mode for when you are stuck on a mountain with a few weeks of food lol.... Struggled to find anything I'd change about it. Weight is pretty hefty, but I went caving with both lamp and battery on my helmet the next day for 3hrs and it was fine.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                              pics of the helmet on you please Am interested in a helmet with a chinguard.
                              Okey pokey

Comment

Originally posted by Pavey View Post
                                I could be interested in the shorts, although i am a 32 and hate things baggy.
                                Tbh there more like a 32 wouldn't surprise me that they were mislabeled

Comment

Working...
                                X