No announcement yet.

Astronomy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great shots! I need to observe the Moon more often. With all the exotic things you can see that are thousands or even millions of light years away, it's easy to forget how amazing our next door neighbour is.

Comment

I am pretty jealous of all the Astronomy stuff, I live in a flat where the street lights never go out, so I have no real opportunity to take these sorts of photo's. I toyed with the idea of going out into the countryside for a better view, which isn't far from where I live, but being in a field in the middle of nowhere by myself in the dead of night is pretty scary stuff.

I did get a couple of shots of the moon a couple of years ago, as I was checking out my new lens on my SLR and it came out like this:

Which wasn't too bad considering I just pointed and clicked!

Comment

Really enjoyed seeing all the photo's great work - they should go in the photo discussion too.

Comment

Yup, great pictures all round, especially considering the equipment/light polluted locations.

Comment

There was a good documentary on BBC 4 tonight looking at the history (so far) of the Voyager missions. Not sure if / when it's repeated but it's on the iPlayer for the next 6 days.

Comment

Missed it, so i'll catch it on the iplayer

Comment

It's been on a few times over the last few years and is a very good watch. It's always interesting watching old science shows and seeing their (scientists) surprise when the evidence and data they uncovered surprised them and went against much of what they thought they knew, makes you realise all our knowledge is never as concrete as we might think and that no truth is absolute.

Comment

There was a Horizon Special about meteors on BBC HD last night which was very interesting. And next month's Sky at Night is going to cover last month's meteor air burst over Russia which should be good.

Also, there may be a comet on show during March/April, and the possibility of a truly magnificent one on view later in November. I wonder if it will trump 1997's Hale-Bopp. That thing was beautiful and hung large in the sky all summer.

Comment

managed to see comet panstarrs at around 7.30
                    , was pretty cool

barely visable in the photo sadly
                    Last edited by yesteryeargames; 22-03-2013, 21:29.

Comment

Still a nice grab YYG, something to keep and look back at in the future, nice one.

Comment

I was wondering about that comet lying in bed last night, but the weather's been so bad here recently I ain't had the chance to look for it. I'm assuming it's not as impressive as was hoped? What magnification did you use to take the photo? As Ampanman says, least you got to see and record it.

Comment

Moon shot from tonight (last night). Not sure if it's an improvement or not from the last one I took, but either way, fairly pleased with the way it came out.

Last edited by EJG1980; 19-04-2013, 08:37. Reason: being a fussy bugger :)

Comment

Nice shot , I haven't been out stargazing for a month , this weekend looks like a nice warmer chance to get back out,
                            Going to look at Saturn as its in opposition this month , and try and see panstars is still about .

Comment

Cheers My telescope time has been severely restricted; if it's not raining, it's cloudy, and I always seem to have something else arranged when it happens to be clear! Nice and clear last night though and (fingers crossed) it looks like it might be again tonight.

A new Hubble photo of the Horsehead Nebula has been released to celebrate the 23rd anniversary of the space telescope. It shows the nebular in infrared light instead of the usual visible light shots. I need to check if it'll be in the sky when I'm on holiday in Exmoor, I'd love to try and get my own photograph of it. Might be a tad less spectacular than Hubble can manage though!

Comment

I would love to see it , I have an oII and uhc filter will it be visable ?
                                Which one do I need to use , it's perfectly clear had a stunning view of Saturn , Shame the moons out tho it's amazing how much it limits things.

Comment

Working...
                                X