Depression and Autism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depression and Autism

Don't know why I'm writing this really... just a tad drunk and I guess drink being a depressant isn't so good... but at least when I get totally smashed I don't think or feel... which helps in a weird kind of way.

It's hard being on the Autistic Spectrum, I just perceive thing's really differently and even though thankfully I am borderline it can still prove to be a challenge at the best (or perhaps worst of times).

Sigh, can anyone else here relate?

I can only relate to the depression part, as I have suffered with bouts of it thruout my life at sometime or other. It doesnt hit on a regular basis so I never quite learn how to spot the early signs & prepare myself mentally to deal with it, so when it is about to hit then anything can trigger it & I'm a bit of a mess.

Must be pretty frustrating when u add autism into the mix too mate
    Last edited by EDDIE M0NS00N; 10-12-2011, 00:09.

Comment

I've had two close friends suffer from depression and at least one other who I later came to suspect also suffered. First time I encountered it I was probably as much use to the sufferer as a chocolate teapot. What really got to me at the time was how other people in our social circle just seemed to disappear and weren't willing to at least try to help. I realise that people do find it difficult to relate to any form of mental illness and there is a sort of stigma attached to it. It is sad that is the case as it is the time when a sufferer could really do with the support friends can offer.

Regarding the autism issue my nephew is on the scale but pretty low on it. Behaviour which seemed strange to us has been explained by him being diagnosed properly and to an extent it almost seems normal to us now. I've always been able to relate to him well, certainly better than most of the family, and as I began to read up about it I think I have some similarities with him.
      He is a bright lad and very competitive but is socially awkward and seems to find it difficult to read a situation. I worry people will take advantage of him as a result of this and hope he can learn enough to avoid such issues.

Comment

Depression, Dyslexia and I suspect a tendency toward autism. Makes life really hard and people just don't understand you. Many people just seem so damn closed minded to the idea that other people might think and experience life differently from themselves.

Comment

I was diagnosed with depression back in March. Stress at work & the breakdown of my marriage attributed to me being signed of work for a few weeks whilst the anti-depressants started to kick in. My dosage has been increased twice since then and it's only now that I'm feeling on the right side of "normal" (whatever normal is).

I still have days where getting out of bed is problematic. I literally cannot find the energy to move and the Doctor tells me that this is a symptom of the depression. There are other days where I feel amazing but one small thing can drag me back down and make me question my entire existence.

Not many people know that I am on anti-depressants. My family have been amazing but a couple of "friends" I have told acted really strange and don't really understand where I'm coming from.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOAgplgTxfc this guy nails it when talking about depression. Really insightful talk.

Comment

There is definitely a stigma still attached to depression. Odd considering how prevalent it is. When I was first diagnosed with it years ago, I told very few people because the reactions were so odd. What I did find, however, that people with depression love to blog about it and I actually got a huge amount from reading about the experiences of others. Also a few good depression message boards that I didn't post on much but read lots of. Helps knowing you're not alone, I guess. There's a good board I could recommend if anyone wants me to see if I could dig up the link (haven't been there in a long time). Also you might (or might not) enjoy going through some of the old archives here - http://mymedicatedlife.blogspot.com/ where I used to post.

All better now. Always have to watch for the signs though because it can hit without you even realising. Although, sometimes it's depression. Other times, life just stinks. Almost impossible to know the difference of course but, at times, I think it's situational and if you can ascertain what the root causes are, you might be able to change them. The problem though is that depression is like the dark side - it clouds everything, including judgement.

Good luck and good health to you all.

Comment

Originally posted by Resonance View Post
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOAgplgTxfc this guy nails it when talking about depression. Really insightful talk.
                Interesting watch, have to admit I didn't watch the whole video but it got me wondering why is clinical depression on the increase?

If what Professor Robert Sapolsky says is true - that depression is a biological disease - and I see no evidence to disbelieve his claim, I wonder what's behind its growth? Pollution (be it airborne or the crappy chemicals that end up in the foodchain) maybe, or possibly a shift from intrinsic to extrinsic goals which increase stress and anxiety - feelings which we know have the ability to change our chemical makeup. There's gotta be a reason for it.

Anyway, best of luck to all who who suffer with it. Sounds horrible.

Comment

I'm roughly halfway through studying towards an MBChB in Medicine and Surgery and I have to say mental health is definitely something I'd love to get more of an insight into. My personal belief is that as humans we are all predisposed to depression. Without wanting to stereotype I'd say we here on this forum are an highly at risk bunch (whether we admit it or not) everyone here seems to be literate with interests in intellectually stimulating pursuits (may that be film/books/video games/and specifically with me fashion) I think depression sets about when these kinds of people get too much time to think and reflect on ways their lives aren't fulfilling enough.

That could be your stereotypical dead-end job, salaryman type who wasn't pushed at school. Woman who gave up her career and friends for a husband she now hates and kids who have 'flown the nest'... In my case I come from a well-off family, I was always encouraged academically and should have a good career ahead of me. My problem is socially, my sister is two years older than me and seriously good-looking, she was very loud and attention-seeking. I'm shy and awkward. I don't tend to make an effort to make/keep friends and also I'm kind of one-track minded in love. For the longest time I've loved this one guy and he's kind of a loner/hung up on an ex so nothing ever happens there but because we're good friends I can't seem to get motivated to date, even though I get offers all the time. I think that leaves this strong desire to love and be loved in me unfulfilled and drives me to depression.

Naturally I'm quite a happy person and I have a great life really so I think it's not such a problem for me but in others I can see how crippling it is. My advice would just be work out where your life is unfulfilled, admit that you're not happy with it and try change it. Also keep busy and be positive. Enjoy a Coke in a Glass Bottle, buy the Tesco Finest Steaks instead of the "Value" ones... Just enjoy the little things in life it makes a big difference
                  Last edited by Pikate; 13-12-2011, 21:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Pikate View Post
                    I'm roughly halfway through studying towards an MBChB in Medicine and Surgery and I have to say mental health is definitely something I'd love to get more of an insight into. My personal belief is that as humans we are all predisposed to depression. Without wanting to stereotype I'd say we here on this forum are an highly at risk bunch (whether we admit it or not) everyone here seems to be literate with interests in intellectually stimulating pursuits (may that be film/books/video games/and specifically with me fashion) I think depression sets about when these kinds of people get too much time to think and reflect on ways their lives aren't fulfilling enough.

That could be your stereotypical dead-end job, salaryman type who wasn't pushed at school. Woman who gave up her career and friends for a husband she now hates and kids who have 'flown the nest'... In my case I come from a well-off family, I was always encouraged academically and should have a good career ahead of me. My problem is socially, my sister is two years older than me and seriously good-looking, she was very loud and attention-seeking. I'm shy and awkward. I don't tend to make an effort to make/keep friends and also I'm kind of one-track minded in love. For the longest time I've loved this one guy and he's kind of a loner/hung up on an ex so nothing ever happens there but because we're good friends I can't seem to get motivated to date, even though I get offers all the time. I think that leaves this strong desire to love and be loved in me unfulfilled and drives me to depression.

Naturally I'm quite a happy person and I have a great life really so I think it's not such a problem for me but in others I can see how crippling it is. My advice would just be work out where your life is unfulfilled, admit that you're not happy with it and try change it. Also keep busy and be positive. Enjoy a Coke in a Glass Bottle, buy the Tesco Finest Steaks instead of the "Value" ones... Enjoy the little things in life it makes a big difference
                    Tesco finest bleurgh surely sainsburys taste the difference makes a canny bit if sense that there post though the little things matter a lot more than people think

Comment

Originally posted by evilthecatuk View Post
                      Tesco finest bleurgh surely sainsburys taste the difference makes a canny bit if sense that there post though the little things matter a lot more than people think
                      Haha I actually agree on the Sainsbury's thing, their Thai/Malaysian 'Taste the Difference' ready meals are amazing. As are some of their Curry's and Pasta things. I just live nearer Tesco...

Comment

Originally posted by Pikate View Post
                        Haha I actually agree on the Sainsbury's thing, their Thai/Malaysian 'Taste the Difference' ready meals are amazing. As are some of their Curry's and Pasta things. I just live nearer Tesco...
                        I live nearest to tesco too (who doesn't there is one on every corner ) still ain't stopping me make a 60 mile round trip to my nearest waitrose tomorrow for my Christmas pud try the chicken Katsu from tesco finest it's surprisingly excellent

Comment

I couldn't I ABUSED the Yasai Katsu Curry at Wagamama this year Pad Thai from Asda is good though

Comment

Asda = Evil. Won't go in cant go in hate Asda grr the one where I live attracts the biggest collection of bottom feeders ever can't move for the Henleys gahhh! Sorry to op for taking this wildly off topic. You could just make that curry it is in the wagamama cook book and is surprisingly simple to do

Comment

Imagine how depressed you'd all be if I went around chopping knobs off.

Comment

Working...
                              X