Titanic: 100 Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Titanic: 100 Years

It's been quite widely reported today as 12pm today marked the 100 year mark since the HMS Titanic began it's first and final voyage from Southampton to New York. There's a been quite a lot of things happening of late with the anniversary due such as Belfasts permanent exhibition and the one based Southampton which opened at the same 12pm time today. 11:40pm this Saturday night will be the 100 year moment that the ship struck the Iceberg, the full sinking complete by 2:20am on the 15th April.

I think one of the many reasons the Titanic is an enduring tale is because it's close enough to our era's to have either witnessed some part of the survivors accounts of what happened when the ship and 1500 people were lost but also because of the catalogue of decisions and events that happened which were blindly obvious yet were still permitted and contributed to the sheer scale of the event.

I remember seeing this piece of the ship a few years back in person whilst at the exhibition whilst it was in Vegas:

It's a fractional piece of the ship, beyond tiny in comparison to the full ship and yet enormous in person. Really rammed home just how huge the full ship must have been and how people of the time could have easily bought that the ship was 'unsinkable'.

going to the titanic musuem up in belfast next week as a birthday present for my fiance

Comment

People on twitter not knowing it's a true story lol.

Comment

and i bet those same people are going to wonder if james camerons other films are also based on a true story

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
          I think one of the many reasons the Titanic is an enduring tale is because it's close enough to our era's to have either witnessed some part of the survivors accounts of what happened when the ship and 1500 people were lost but also because of the catalogue of decisions and events that happened which were blindly obvious yet were still permitted and contributed to the sheer scale of the event.
          Well, there was also the fact that it sank on its maiden voyage, and wasn't found until Robert Ballard discovered it 73 years later. Having the most notable ship of the White Star Line disappear in the night with 1500 dying was bound to capture the imagination, and it wasn't until very recently that elements like the composition of the hull were tested and considered to be contributing factors to it sinking.

Comment

went to see the titanic museum was ok can imagine though if you travelled far would be a bit of a disapointment

Comment

Wasn't there a film where they raised the Titanic? and if not, is it even possible.

Comment

There was. It'd be possible to painstakingly raise it piece-by-piece and reconstruct what's left but it'd just fall apart if you tried to bring it to the surface as it is.

Comment

Raise the Titanic! I remember seeing it as a kid on TV, it's very slow, only the last 15 mins are worthwhile. Yup, the ships too damaged to raise now and the cost would be astronomical. It'd also be close to impossible to maintain if raised.

Comment

An Australian billionaire has announced plans to build Titanic II which bar some minor changes will recreate the original ship and then sail from England to New York by the end of 2016. Several attempts have been made in the past to make such a ship and they never come to pass due to maritime laws which mean an exact replica wasn't possible due to the safety changes required to the original design. The announcement failed to address such issues. Don't hold your breath on seeing it by the date given

Comment

Working...
                    X