Desk Top Publishing / design tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desk Top Publishing / design tips?

I need to design a basic poster and print it, but haven't messed around with dtp or image apps for years. I had been recommended to use Powerpoint or Publisher and export as a PDF, but googling offered up an open source app called Scribus. I need to have a decent amount of text with some images to make it easier to read, but really want to design the layout well. Does anyone have any good tips or tricks, or sites to point me towards, please? Any advice would be really helpful.

Have a word with the printers who are going to do produce the poster for you.

They'll give you some suggestions.

I've done posters, weddings invites, save-the-date cards and so on by making them in Photoshop and taking the file in pdf format.

You can set it to their desired resolution give it a bleed edge, cmyk/rgb and all the other things they suggest.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Thanks QC, all I know is that they recommend 300 dpi, but not much else. They have the quickest turn around time so I've been advised to use them, and if they mess it up I can use that as a backup, since I was told to use them. I wonder if there's any other places I could get something done on the day? With this place, I can only really speak to the receptionists who aren't that helpful, it's posing a problem.

Comment

There are at least 3 different printers near me and I've always spoken to the people actually doing it.

See if there's a Prontaprint near you as they've been pretty good with me in the past.

Comment

Thanks again, I think there's one not too far from me.

Comment

Whilst you're there, can you print off this RARE Master System game?

Comment

Is that one of those rare Brazilian releases? Surely ninjas don't perch on golf carts, they're in the woods or underwater with a snorkel? And it should be the camo ninja outfit?

Comment

Working...
              X