Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
    Do you realistically believe this?

I have no bias towards any game company, but the PS1/PS2 are my favorite consoles which is why I cite Sony. I think the PS3 isn't all that great, in comparison at least.
    Oh no, I meant that the Apple name/logo is cute, fun, creative.

I don't know what IBM do? I know they were big in the 60s and what the name stands for because their logo was designed by a famous Graphic Artist I read up on once.

As for actual Apple products I got a "Flowery" G3 iMac for Christmas when I was about 12 and I've never even looked at buying/using anything but Apple. I had a G4 iMac that I think is the best designed/made thing I've ever owned and now I have a MacBook Pro. I'd never buy a phone that wasn't an iPhone either now. It's not that I think they're better (I couldn't tell you what a Windows 7 Machine/Window Phone/Android/Blackberry do or their OSs look like really, never used any of them) or how other manufactures compare to Apple on specs/price...

I just know I've never come across hardware that was as "solid" and as quality as Apple stuff. My friends laptops feel plasticy whereas mine is Aluminium all over with no "panel gaps" and a glass screen. I actually use it as a TV in the bathroom (it sits on the laundry hamper at the side) and clean it down with a mildly wet flannel and it's never broke in almost 2 years... It's that hardy! So yeah, I've never been disappointed by an Apple product, I always buy their products over any competitor (iMac, MacBook, iPod, iPhone, Apple TV2, Airport Express for my Wi-Fi) and always will regardless (well I don't have an iPad because I don't need one and I'm not an idiot but if they made a ?300 toaster or a ?2000 LED TV I'd probably buy those unquestionably).
    Last edited by Pikate; 11-04-2012, 17:46.

Comment

^^ do you know how much they battled with apple records for the logo even though they were second to it. Apple are one of the most evil profiteering companies out there but they get away with it because people can't live without their iPhones (and I'm one of them even though I know how evil they really are)

Comment

Originally posted by evilthecatuk View Post
        Being a Sunderland fan you need to take the mick out of everyone in the football thread and you forgot BEER!
        Of course! I am a beer geek/snob/real ale twat, whatever you want to call me. Fans of fancy cookin' and wine are often lauded as connoisseurs, whereas a chap with similarly high expectations of beer, and a love of the different tastes, styles and textures on offer, is just a beardy dweeb. Thankfully, that stereotype is slowly changing, thanks to young bucks such as myself.

Comment

You use it as a TV in the bathroom? I can just imagine all the moisture inside it..

I agree with what you're saying about laptops feeling plasticy, hence the mention of IBM/Lenovo. I think as far as laptops go I'd only own a Macbook Pro or a Thinkpad (there I go again) or something similar in terms of target market. Although now elitebooks (known to you as MacBook Air clones) are becoming mainstream I think that laptops may see a change in design trends - or not, who knows.

Honestly, Thinkpad fanboys are as bad as Apple fanboys. And I don't really care for smartphones.

Comment

Originally posted by evilthecatuk View Post
            ^^ do you know how much they battled with apple records for the logo even though they were second to it. Apple are one of the most evil profiteering companies out there but they get away with it because people can't live without their iPhones (and I'm one of them even though I know how evil they really are)
            Well I like the Beatles but Apple records still exists? They're no threat to each other unless you're clutching at straws, infact I bet Apple records makes a lot of money from iTunes. As for the other issues people have with Apple... Anti-competion... Well I choose to buy Apple products? If they ran everyone else out of business it's sad because people loose jobs but product-wise nothing changes for me. The Chinese worker thing I don't like but Apple aren't the only company who us Foxxcon? (Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft also do I believe) And really it's a Foxxcon issue, I don't blame Apple for turning a blind eye obviously PR means they'll pressure Foxxcon into cleaning their act up over that (at least publicly) and there's probably 1,000 other companies exploiting Asian labour. Apple are big and it sells newspapers but I'm sure other companies are no better and even if they were like I said. I like Apple and you'd be surprised at how low my ethics can go to have the latest MacBook/iPhone haha...

Comment

Think you mean ultrabooks speedy.

I've used two different 15" MBPs, since they first launched in 2006. The current design is over three years old and it's still just wicked.

Comment

Do you buy the annual update like a drone?

Originally posted by Randicoot View Post
                Think you mean ultrabooks speedy.

I've used two different 15" MBPs, since they first launched in 2006. The current design is over three years old and it's still just wicked.
                I do indeed, my bad.

Comment

I have always been a huge aviation geek, which in turn made me discover plastic modelling.
                  When my parents gave me a NES I was sucked into videogames first and then PC hardware. I've become an hardware geek to the point I handpick cables and screws for my PCs and I enjoy spending time with arms deep in their bowels.
                  I have a large collection of Japanese comics and videos (VHS, DVD Blu-Ray) but I don't buy as much as I did when I was in high school because I've refocused my efforts on videogames and modelling, being it plastic or resin kits.
                  For years I was among the organizing committee of a modeling contest in Lucca, but then let go due to internal strifes; the passion remains though and I'm kinda proud to have brought friends to modelling, though they limit themselves to Gundam-related Master Grade kits.
                  My passion for aviation continues and since I started working in that field, it grew even further.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                    You use it as a TV in the bathroom? I can just imagine all the moisture inside it..

I agree with what you're saying about laptops feeling plasticy, hence the mention of IBM/Lenovo. I think as far as laptops go I'd only own a Macbook Pro or a Thinkpad (there I go again) or something similar in terms of target market. Although now elitebooks (known to you as MacBook Air clones) are becoming mainstream I think that laptops may see a change in design trends - or not, who knows.

Honestly, Thinkpad fanboys are as bad as Apple fanboys. And I don't really care for smartphones.
                    That's my point there is no condensation behind the glass on the screen and I've been doing it 2 years and it's fine. Hardy! The only fault with MBP x Bathroom use is the trackpad won't work when it's got water dripped off your hands all over it but I just whip it off with a dry facecloth and it's fine straightway. My iPhone 4 is the same, it's glass so I use it with my hands soaked and it always works?

As for Thinkpad I have no idea what that is :S but I'll look it up now haha I didn't even know there were MacBook clones? Seriously, I've never been in Dixons/Currys/Comet/PC World... I'm not sure where else you'd even buy a PC. I just go in the Apple Store for everything since The Trafford Centre got one about 5/6 years ago. I went in the Sony Store for TVs about two years ago and saw a Touchscreen thing a bit like an iMac but it wasn't an iMac so I didn't really pay attention? Doesn't surprise me there MBP clones though, I know you can get dodgy Chinese iPhone clones now.
                    Last edited by Pikate; 11-04-2012, 18:07.

Comment

^^ http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple...Apple_Computer

There was not even a beatles song on iTunes until Nov 2010 because of it

And all companies are the same it's just apple seem to get away with it easier and they are just a bit more blatant than others about it, I know for a fact you can get the identical parts of a mac book pro as a win7 laptop for ?450 instead of the ?1000+ but after buying the ?450 laptop what did I do? (I traded it in for a MBP) but to be realistic apple are evil, profiteering ***** but we the public allow it because the stuff is shiny and (usually) the best in class having said it should be for double the price but to label apple as fun.... Yeah fun for Tim Cook as he sleeps on a bed of money (*they get away with it as OSX lion is the ****)

Comment

Oh yeah, I've got the full Godzilla set, most of the Gameras, load of other Asian monster films, and posted some links on the Kaiju thread of some mad-looking films from Taiwan, most of which I've yet to track down. So I'll probably a bit of a Kaiju geek too.

I've got a reasonable graphic novel/ manga set.
                        I've got a vast library of paranormal and conspiracy reference material (books and magazines).

Games, kung fu movies, monster films, beer, comics and paranormal stuff. I really am a geek, aren't I? An epiphany.

Comment

/me pats ThinkPad with acceleration sensors (the HDD turns off when it senses gravity) and navigation nipple (I hate trackpads).

Not as good now that they are owned by Lenovo, but more affordable.

Doesn't get much geekier than that people! Comparing ThinkPads before and after Lenovo.

Comment

Originally posted by Pikate View Post
                            That's my point there is no condensation behind the glass on the screen and I've been doing it 2 years and it's fine. Hardy! The only fault with MBP x Bathroom use is the trackpad won't work when it's got water dripped off your hands all over it but I just whip it off with a dry facecloth and it's fine straightway. My iPhone 4 is the same, it's glass so I use it with my hands soaked and it always works?
                            Yeah, I was more thinking about the motherboard than the screen. lol

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                            /me pats ThinkPad with acceleration sensors (the HDD turns off when it senses gravity) and navigation nipple (I hate trackpads).

Not as good now that they are owned by Lenovo, but more affordable.

Doesn't get much geekier than that people! Comparing ThinkPads before and after Lenovo.
                            Nothing more fun really either.

To be fair, the T, W and X series of Thinkpads are up to the same standard as the IBM branded Thinkpad. Lenovo made them long before IBM stopped branding them so. There's just a lot more lower end units like the SL series and all the models that aren't Thinkpads at all such as Ideapads. I have read some of the T models aren't up to spec quality wise now but that's debatable - they've just gone down different paths to increase rigidity.

I've got a X61s myself, it's a gorgeous piece of hardware. Have owned a 600X, R51 and T61 in the past too. I restored it recently from being a little bashed up to having a 64GB SSD, 4GB of RAM, a 7 hour battery, brand new monitor lid and keyboard bezel as well as reseating the CPU/GPU heatsink with some new TIM. Love it. All in all cost me around ?350, which is pretty good all things considered.
                            Last edited by speedlolita; 11-04-2012, 18:16.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                              Games, kung fu movies, monster films, beer, comics and paranormal stuff. I really am a geek, aren't I? An epiphany.
                              You're like Clarence in True Romance <3 haha I don't know a single woman who doesn't love him/that film.

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                              My MBP does that HDD thing. I don't get how the computer still works? And yeah I'm not keen on trackpads, I always use a Magic Mouse, I just don't have a surface in the bathroom so have to slum it with a trackpad.
                              Last edited by Pikate; 11-04-2012, 18:15.

Comment

Not much of a video game game geek apart from some expensive zelda posters that I have yet to get framed. I mainly browse the games forum on here as most of the posters are so much more eloquent and knowledgable than me that I feel I can offer little in the way of expertise/different opinion. It amazes me how much people remember in the first play threads. I am talking about names of creatures/spells/special moves etc. I just tend to play the game and not get into all the extra detail.

The thing I would say I am most geeky about is food. Happy to spend big money on kitchen equipment and ingredients. I am fussy about what I buy in terms of quality/seasonality etc.

I do love this place even though I don't post that much anymore due to work getting on top of things. I reckon I learn half a dozen new things every time I come online.

Comment

Working...
                                X