Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Household bills and boring stuff like that.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Household bills and boring stuff like that.

People, just got my water bill and it is a staggering ?135 for just three months, never had I had a bill so high!
    We are a small family of three as most of you know. Does anyone else pay that much? Or more?
    I'm trying to figure out if there is a fault but as usual they are less than helpful.

Also received a ticket for running a red light. It just have changed just as I went through. Is it worth contesting at all? Can I get evidence? I don't mind the fine but the points are a pain. I do currently have none though.

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
    Also received a ticket for running a red light. It just have changed just as I went through. Is it worth contesting at all? Can I get evidence? I don't mind the fine but the points are a pain. I do currently have none though.
    You can give it a go? I got a ticket for running a red light last year, it was 1AM in Manchester City Centre (I was picking my sister up from work, there were no other cars around and I said I didn't want to stop alone at a junction surrounded by rowdy bars so I ran the amber light). It went to court, the judge said I was foolish but under the circumstances he felt being made to sit at the back of the court for the rest of the day would be a better punishment. (Wasn't really a punishment, I was the penultimate case before they broke for lunch so I had until 2PM to go out and get something to eat and then when I got back there were only 2 cases and 2 non-attendees so I was on my way home by 3.

So yeah, take your chances on a judge?

Comment

nakamura is that your local water authority or waste and sewage?

As a comaprison, Southern Water is ?280 for the year, and the other water bill is approx ?55 for the year.
      Last edited by Baseley09; 13-04-2012, 13:40.

Comment

With regard to water, when we moved our bills increased significantly. No idea why really but we used to pay ?70 for about 6 months use and now its about ?30 a month. I complained but turns out they are right - I've checked the metre and tested it by looking whilst people turn on/off taps or whatever and it functioned as it should.

I'm still sure something is not right though as my Dad in a large house with a dishwasher and 4-6 people in it all the time doesn't pay that much more than the two of us in a 1 bed flat and no dishwasher...

Comment

Baseley that is 3 months water and sewage use. Just under ?70 for each.

Comment

Mines about ?30 per month but its a city centre apt

Comment

I pay ?110pa for water and ?297 for sewage (I buy my water from next door on a fixed rate). The sewage seems a bit high to me, but hey.

Comment

I'd go for the court it's very unlikely they will be able to prove it, it's quite difficult if it's a close thing. Have they not offered you ?60 and a day course (no points)

Comment

Not yet, I was wondering if I should email or ring them. I'm sure I never went through a red before it had change.

Can I ask for proof?

Comment

Personally I would pay it because it's probably half if you pay it within 10 weeks

And Pikate just used the girl card which is pretty shocking

Don't run a red light - simples (or speed up during an amber situation)

Just accept the punishment and move on and if the evidence isn't close you will have to pay the court costs

Water does sound high though, in Scotland it's all part of your council tax and my council tax for the year is ?1000 and water is only a small part of it

Comment

As for the water bills, mine was about ?320 total last year, paid across eight months.
                      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

My water and heating is included in my rent, otherwise people would die as it gets so damn cold here in winter. My rent jumped from $825pcm to $1008pcm at the start of March. Bloody gouging rental agency. My electricity is $50, my mobile bill runs ~$68 and my internet is $67.

Comment

Don't get me wrong Buster_broon i'm not trying to get out of it as such, it was certainly a tight margin but the fine and 3 points is just excessive. I don't mind the fine but 3 points is such a pain. It also reminded me how simple it is to get a ban for such minor things.

Comment

If I remember right if it was more dangerous for you to stop (if the light was that close) than going through you will be fine but you ha to no be speeding (it can be worked out so be careful). And bloody right you can ask for proof, worst case scenario is 3 points, fine and court costs (about ?54 more) If you loose. I'm pretty certain you can ask them to prove it they will have a look here

http://www.thesmartclub.com/board/ar...hp/t-1968.html there is a link to the highway code rules and also someone that did ask for proof

Comment

More speeding but you get the idea

Comment

Working...
                              X