No announcement yet.

Working in Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's typical IT support - windows domain, exchange email, Cisco network. I'd love to do it. The office environment looks great - all casual and lots of personality.

And yeah it was mostly me talking about myself. Actual IT skills discussion was short and largely unnecessary because of my experience in London.

That's all true, by the way. I didn't make any of those up. Also I secretly recorded it to listen to later.

Set list will be Ghost Town on loop like in Father Ted

Comment

Aren't the keyboards in Japanese? It's funny, though, you do stuff so many times, you know your way around in any language just by clicking in the same places!

Are domains and stuff in Japanese when you're setting up the network settings?

Comment

I can use Japanese windows without too much difficulty(mostly because, like you say, you learn things without the language ). And I'm very good at Typing of the Dead in Japanese

The keyboards are English with Japanese letters as well.

Domains would be in English I suspect. The domain at my high school last year was all English.

I'm pretty sure windows server will be in Japanese, though. That could get interesting...

Comment

You can also install language packs and set keyboards to an other language, we do that in our company, as many wouldn't know their way through a Windows in German (including me).

Comment

I was a little disappointed that a French copy of Windows I worked on wasn't called Fen?tres.

Comment

Yep. But I'm not sure if all copies of Windows can be localised fully - I.e. Having a Japanese install of Windows 7 that sets the OS language per-user.

OSX can - I have an English account and a Japanese one which is 100% Japanese

Comment

Updates:

1) I had my 1st interview at the record label today. It was difficult and also only 30 mins long but fingers crossed I get some good news. I felt like they were unsure but they asked about start date and when I can begin(they need someone soon) and the recruiter said that's a good sign for 1st interview.

2) I passed yesterday's interview at the TV company! Next will be with HR and will likely be the final interview.

Comment

Music label said no because of my Japanese level. Shame, but I expected it. My first job rejection ever.

Passed the golf company's interview today.

So right now 3/4 jobs progressing to the next stage.

Comment

Well, congrats. Do job interview processes in Japan always take this long or it's just to company size?

Comment

This is quick, I think.

Bear in mind it's only been going on since Thursday. Usually interviews have stages with different people.

From what I gather, there are basically two main stages: one stage with HR/seniors, another with the hiring manager.

Sometimes it's with HR first, other times with the hiring manager. I prefer it this way because if the manager likes me then that's a big hurdle taken care of.

Recruiting job had four interviews plus an assessment test. It took three sessions altogether.

ALT job had two interviews a week or so apart.

It really depends on the company. Amazon has quite a few stages, for example. Also, depending on the company, interviews can be grouped together.

As these are contract positions, the interview process is a lot quicker.

Comment

You're right, lost the track of (your) time :P

Comment

Golf company final interview on Thursday and it'll be in English which is nice

No news from the TV company yet but that'll be final as well.

Met the CEO of the IT company today for my final interview there. Should get feedback from them in the next few days.

It's scary - this is the first time in 12 years that I've been without a job - but I have to stay positive a little while longer.

Comment

Fingers crossed for you man. Work hard and with luck you may get a full time job. By that I mean no more yearly contracts. These are not so common for none natives but if I can get one then so can you! Good luck.

Comment

Thanks! I've been quiet this week but right now I'm sitting on two job offers, one of which arrived Friday night

I have already decided which one I'm accepting. I wanted to negotiate the salary but changed my mind yesterday as they have pay reviews every January and that would be a better time to negotiate. But it's the weekend so we have to wait and see what their reply is tomorrow. If they say they won't pay more I'll sign the current letter and send it back because it's still a good salary considering.

If all goes well I'll post my update on here.

Comment

Yeah, don't talk about money just yet. That's not a good move here. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                                X