X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lucky bast! Good job getting ...a job.

Comment

Now that the dust has settled, I can post my update:

I accepted the golf company's offer today. It's a tech support position with a long-term path to becoming a developer to code their internal applications.

They didn't raise the salary but they had no problem with my wanting to negotiate. In fact, they offered to do a salary review after probation on top of the regular January review next year, so two chances for a bump.

It gets better: the job was supposed to be a 3-month haken(dispatch/contract) probation followed by permanent hire(正社員) if successful but they like me so much that they decided to scrap the haken part and hire me permanently.

So, I'm back into tech support after just over a year in Japan; a lot earlier than I expected. I'm over the moon right now, and so are both my dads(they love golf). It's been a stressful few weeks but now I can properly relax and continue my career with no more detours.

Bring on next week

Comment

Is anybody else enjoying living vicariously through Billy's posts?!

Congrats, buddy!

Comment

Billy's posts are a ray of shining light through dark clouds. Congrats on the job!

Comment

Congratulations, Billy! So you'll be at this job for a while? Sounds like a keeper. It's not as if the Japanese are suddenly going to stop playing golf. I'm glad it worked out for you mate!

Comment

Three things can be counted on in life: birth, dead, and golf.

Now repeat after me: 電源を切ると再入電することを試しましたか。

Comment

Just been offered an interview with Nova, what are they like now as the only things I can seem to read about them is about the old nova that went bankrupt and nothing since they got bought out. The pay is good compared to GABA (works out at ?12 per hour lesson) but there's no guaranteed amount of hours offered a week.

Comment

As far as I know they didn't change a thing, its still the same old curriculum etc. not many people have good things to say about Nova, old or new... but in the grand scheme of things it wasn't a bad old job. There are much worse positions out there in small locally owned eikaiwas.

Comment

They got rid of a lot of foreign management and moved schools to cheaper location but otherwise they were still almost the same when I left in 2009. Same textbooks afaik.

Comment

How was your experience working for them? My biggest concern is not getting enough hours as I'll be paid on a per lesson basis, when I worked at GABA which is similar I was lucky to get 10-15 lessons a week which wouldn't be enough

Comment

Are you applying for a school job as well? It's already July so stuff should open up in time for September.

I interviewed at Gaba and Kryss laid it out for me - it's not a sustainable source of income, although they started Gaba Kids which may be lucrative during the summer holidays if you're good enough. I recommend securing a day job and supplementing it with evening lessons. I've had good results with these websites:

日本全国でネイティブ先生が多数登録中!語学スクールを通さずにカフェや自宅でマンツーマンの個人レッスン。英語、中国語、韓国語・フランス語・スペイン語・ドイツ語・イタリア語・ロシア語・ポルトガル語・タイ語・ベトナム語・アラビア語・インドネシア語・ミャンマー語の先生が多数登録中

英会話個人レッスンなら『エンジョイレッスン』。カフェ、自宅やオンラインで習える英会話マンツーマン講師を紹介。語学スクールに比べトータル費用は約1/2~1/3。格安な英会話プライベートレッスンをご希望の方必見!

One of them lets you send a photo/scan of your resident's card to get a trusted mark on your profile.

Comment

I've applied for about 15 jobs so far, anything that's accepting applications outside of japan really. Problem is that 90% of the jobs I see advertised will only take applications from people already living in Japan.

Comment

Just finished my Skype interview with nova, will find out by Wednesday if I got the job. Based on the interview though I dont think I got the the job as there were a few bits I messed up on and I didn't come across as very confident, but it was a good learning experience and gives me an idea what to expect for any other teaching interviews

Comment

What questions do you think you messed up on? I have been teaching for 14 years so I might have some good answers for future interview questions. PM me if you prefer.

Comment

You may have done better than you think, so don't give up the ghost, Ghost!

Comment

Working...
                                X